Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 379756 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #525 on: November 22, 2016, 04:19:44 pm »
Well I have signed and posted the petition on Facebook. It's a carbuncle in the making. HRH, you are our Prince, get on board. It's your type of cause to support.

Offline Dave

« Reply #526 on: November 22, 2016, 05:25:06 pm »
Thats a few more signatures, suggest we all share it on Facebook or wherever.
I'd like to hear if someone actually likes it if you know what I mean!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #527 on: November 22, 2016, 10:47:52 pm »
Thats a few more signatures, suggest we all share it on Facebook or wherever.
I'd like to hear if someone actually likes it if you know what I mean!

There are 751 signature on it at present so it's going up ok

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #528 on: November 23, 2016, 08:55:18 am »
The pier owner has recently applied to the licensing authority of CCBC to extend the licenced area to cover the entire pier premises (excluding the amusement arcades).

Presumably, the existing licenced area is only the bar at the far end of the pier.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #529 on: November 23, 2016, 09:10:12 am »
What about Langtry's? Although I suppose they have their own licence apart from the pier. Either way a new bar at the other end would be bad for their business.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #530 on: November 23, 2016, 09:23:04 am »
I would like to see the pier as a commercial success - too many seaside towns have lost their piers.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #531 on: November 23, 2016, 04:04:32 pm »
A petition has been created, for those that wish to object to the proposed design of the new Pier Pavilion:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/llandudno-pier-pavilion-development

805 signed still very slow.....  :(

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #532 on: November 25, 2016, 10:12:35 am »
A petition has been created, for those that wish to object to the proposed design of the new Pier Pavilion:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/llandudno-pier-pavilion-development

805 signed still very slow.....  :(

Petition reached 1000 signatures @ 10.00 today
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #533 on: November 30, 2016, 11:00:10 am »
Developer promises to amend Llandudno Pier Pavilion plans following consultation
Published date: 30 November 2016 | Published by: Steve Craddock

DEVELOPERS behind Llandudno’s Pier Pavilion site have promised to amend plans following a storm of protest over the building’s ‘out of place’ design.

More than 1,250 people backed a petition highlighting the need for the project, a combination of underground car parking, commercial floorspace and residential units, to reflect its Victorian surroundings, after Alan Waldron released the first images of his plans ahead of a consultation.

Mr Waldron has emphasised that consultation responses will be listened to, but warned the development will still be modern.

He said: “The process we have just gone through enables us to listen to people’s comments. Now we will go away and amend the plans accordingly.

“The massing and scale of it will be similar and it will be a modern design - it may be a modern Victorian design.”

Christian Roberts, who lives in Llandudno, launched the petition saying that while he welcomes development of the site, the project must be sensitive to the style of the town.

Mr Roberts, aged 44, said: “I believe the town is based on its Victorian reputation and this is going against what has kept it going over the years.

“All of us are reliant on the town succeeding as a tourist destination. I do believe it needs developing but we need to get it right, in a sensitive way to the buildings around it. The other buildings in that area have to follow a strict criteria and that is not being applied to this.”

During the consultation period North Wales Pioneer readers took to Facebook to share their views.

Tony Baker commented: “Hideous and out of place," while Kelly Greenhalgh said: "It doesn't really fit with the look of the town, would be a shame if that went up. Great idea, but the design doesn't fit.”

Lisa Roscoe commented: “That looks awful, would be ok in London but not Llandudno . Not keeping with its surroundings.”

To see the petition search for Llandudno Pier Pavilion Development on 38degrees.org.uk

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/169611/developer-promises-to-amend-llandudno-pier-pavilion-plans-following-consultation.aspx

Offline SteveH

« Reply #534 on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:48 pm »
Mr Waldron has emphasised that consultation responses will be listened to, but warned the development will still be modern.
He said: “The process we have just gone through enables us to listen to people’s comments. Now we will go away and amend the plans accordingly.

“The massing and scale of it will be similar and it will be a modern design - it may be a modern Victorian design.”

He sounds very confident, no mention that he hopes CCBC will like the new plans, I am still concerned about the massing and scale comment, there are two problems with the design, size and style, it sounds as if he is only going to address the style aspect.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #535 on: November 30, 2016, 12:18:42 pm »
"modern Victorian "

oxy-MORON  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #536 on: November 30, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »
"modern Victorian "

oxy-MORON  $good$

Who are calling a moron?  *punch* *punch*
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #537 on: November 30, 2016, 03:34:09 pm »

I'm with you Steve, if "The massing and scale" of any revised application is the same as the last one, then that will be unacceptable too. There was a Lady on you know your from Llandudno if.... who wrote a lovely open letter

https://www.facebook.com/groups/91560190640/10157763904320641/?notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&notif_id=1480366878591158

in which she said it's not about the detrimental effect it will have on our view that is important, but the detrimental effect it will have on your view of use. Llandudno is defined and recognised all over the World by the view from The Little Orme across the Bay to the Great Orme. Any redevelopment of the Pier Pavilion site must be sensitive and in keeping and scale to preserve our Victorian Heritage.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #538 on: November 30, 2016, 04:22:13 pm »
What an excellent heartfelt letter Blongb, history seems to be forgotten by planners these days, I understand the need for profit, but in this case common sense is needed.
I hope everyone gets to read it.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #539 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:18 pm »
Mr Waldron is developing a site (formally Long Les sign writer) at Glan Conwy the arrangement appears to be that in exchange for the site he gets a penthouse apartment .I believe that there is a boundary dispute ongoing already with a neighbour, (
he has foundations on land in dispute)his track record with the quay would suggest some interesting news to come