Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380073 times)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #390 on: August 10, 2016, 05:07:01 pm »
Don't like the sound of this..sounds as if we are being set up for something we will not like.        &shake&

Venue Cymru mark 2?

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #391 on: August 10, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »
I suspect there is a long way to go on this before we get to see so much as a foundation being laid - if we ever get that far.   It is such a prominent, and therefore controversial site, that everyone has a view, and I feel whatever is finally proposed to go there will displease so many that we may end up back where we are now with the rat infested pit, and that will be the worst result.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #392 on: August 10, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »
everyone has a view, and I feel whatever is finally proposed to go there will displease so many that we may end up back where we are now with the rat infested pit, and that will be the worst result.

No Rat infested pit this time Yelboh as we have just been informed "as a Courtesy" that Heavy Lorries will be used to clear the site during August, from 7am until 10am and again from 4pm until 7pm
I wouldn't like to have to use the pavement up to the Grand during those times.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #393 on: August 11, 2016, 06:22:22 pm »
When does this clearance begin BlongB?
A courtesy letter eh?  The pier manager certainly wasn't aware of this development when I spoke to him today, unless the letter went elsewhere?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

« Reply #394 on: August 13, 2016, 11:28:27 pm »
When does this clearance begin BlongB?
A courtesy letter eh?  The pier manager certainly wasn't aware of this development when I spoke to him today, unless the letter went elsewhere?

The site owners representative called round to tell all the Hotel owners on this end of North Parade what was going to happen in the near future. Then at 7:00 this morning the small mechanical digger they had been using was replaced with one twice the size so the clearance will start in the very near future Fester. I am surprised the Pier wasn't informed as well, that's no way to get on with your neighbour

Offline Blongb

« Reply #395 on: August 15, 2016, 04:07:57 pm »
The clearance has started up at the Grand Hotel end of the site. So far a large volume of water, several feet deep, has been discovered under the bit of ground the Grand borrowed and in the other corner a large pool  of thick black oil is slowly oozing into the daylight. I am amazed all of this rubbish wasn't cleared away back in 1995 as part of the original site clearance.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:23 am »
It does sound a little ominous but at least it's progress.

Looking forward to seeing the new designs.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #397 on: August 24, 2016, 08:19:59 am »
The clearance has started up at the Grand Hotel end of the site. So far a large volume of water, several feet deep, has been discovered under the bit of ground the Grand borrowed and in the other corner a large pool  of thick black oil is slowly oozing into the daylight.
Maybe they will be drilling for oil on the site?  :laugh:

I wonder where that oil came from?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2016, 05:36:18 pm »
Ongoing clearance work:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2016, 05:37:04 pm »
Ongoing clearance work:

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2016, 06:11:30 pm »
Does The Grand look as if it is leaning a bit.............. :o     ;)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2016, 07:40:43 pm »
The Grand need to get their hot water sorted out. Two reports from friends that they have had NO hot water when they stayed there.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2016, 07:56:43 pm »
I suspect that's merely one of the things that they need to sort.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2016, 12:50:35 pm »
Progress made at 'eyesore' Llandudno Pier Pavilion site
Published on 01 September 2016 by Steve Craddock

INVESTIGATIONS at the site of Llandudno’s Pier Pavilion are underway, with plans being drawn up for a modern multi-purpose development to replace the long-standing ‘eyesore’.

Developer Alan Waldron, who acquired the site in April this year, told the Pioneer site investigations have so far uncovered a large pool beneath the ground which may have been used for swimming or boating.

It is expected the pool will contribute to the development’s underground car parking offer, which Mr Waldron hopes can relieve some of the pressure on other parking zones across the town.

He said: “We’ve exposed the old pool so we’ve got this extra layer that we were lookin for. I think it’s important that we get as much car parking in here as possible.

“Underground is all car parking, we’ll have a couple of floors of commercial which will include some restaurants and above that we’ll have some residential.

“More and more people are coming into Llandudno.

“I think there’s room for a couple of high quality restaurants here so I think that’s what we’ll be providing.

“Obviously it’s getting rid of this eyesore I think that is the big thing.”

Mr Waldron, who added he plans to continue exposing the pool over the coming weeks, said he is not far away from deciding on an image for the site – which has remained uncleared since being destroyed by a fire in 1994.

He said: “It’s no good me coming out public with some images because it’s going to change - we may as well wait until we have the final images and we’re not far off that.

“It is going to be modern.

“There’s been copper mining on the Orme for 4000 years so we’re looking to bring some copper element into it.”

http://m.northwalespioneer.co.uk/mobile/mnews/166121/progress-made-at-eyesore-llandudno-pier-pavilion-site.aspx

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: September 01, 2016, 12:52:26 pm »
As an aside to the above article, the former Swimming Pool in the Pier Pavilion basement that has just been uncovered last saw the light of day in 1901:

[smg id=3346]