Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380343 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2016, 09:13:35 am »
I suspect that the redevelopment will be a joint venture between Alan Waldron and Mostyn Estates. Personally, I think this is great news for the town, Mr Waldron is an experienced developer and has a track record of high quality developments.

The key to success in this redevelopment will be the design of the building - it is imperative that it is sympathetic to its surroundings and ideally resembles in some form the original Pavilion building. I hope that Mr Waldron intends to engage with the local community during the design/planning process (perhaps by means of a dedicated website?) so that we have a chance to become involved in the process before it reaches the planning application stage. It's no exaggeration to say that this really is a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to replace the landmark Pavilion building - we must get the design right or future generations will judge us harshly.

As Henry Newbolt once said, "Let us build for the years we shall not see".

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2016, 08:51:58 am »
It's odd how this story is front page of the North Wales Pioneer but there is no trace of it on the Daily Post website?

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2016, 10:33:47 am »
I've flagged it up with my colleagues, I don't cover Conwy anymore - although I do live in Llandudno.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2016, 10:47:39 am »
I've flagged it up with my colleagues, I don't cover Conwy anymore - although I do live in Llandudno.
Cheers, Tom. $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: April 22, 2016, 09:26:14 am »
Here's the text of the article:

Llandudno's Pier Pavilion will cost £15m to re-develop
13:44, 21 APR 2016 UPDATED 17:05, 21 APR 2016
BY OWEN HUGHES
New owner has talked about the plans for the site that burnt down more than 20 years ago

The new owner of Llandudno’s Pier Pavilion says it could cost £15m to redevelop but he hopes to submit plans for the eyesore site by the summer.

Fire destroyed the structure in 1994, and the site has lain empty since then - a blot on the landscape of the Victorian seaside resort.

But now businessman Alan Waldron, who developed the Deganwy Quay project, has bought the site for a figure of around £1m and is developing plans for a parking, commercial and residential scheme.

He said he hoped to create an “iconic building” but said the development will be in keeping with the surroundings.

He told the Daily Post: “We want to move on this as quickly as possible but we also have to work with the council, Cadw, Mostyn Estates and the Design Commission to ensure we get the scheme right.

“We have already started working with the local authority and we are hoping to submit plans by the summer and hope to have the planning process completed by the end of the year and be on site at the start of 2017.

“The build project would take around two years and I am committed to using local firms.

“The whole project will cost £14m/£15m and I now need to sell North Wales, sell Llandudno to get that additional investment on board.

"It is about convincing people with money in places like London that Llandudno is a place to invest in.”

He added: “The scheme will be in keeping with the Pavilion that was there before but it needs to be bigger than it was to make it viable.

“It will not be as high as the Grand(hotel) though and we don’t intend to extend to the south west of the former building.

“It will start with car parking, and then commercial and residential units.”

Pier owner Adam Williams has voiced concerns over the type of development brought to the site.

He said there was a risk that commercial could take revenue away from the pier site and potentially impact on future maintenance and investment.

But Mr Waldron said: “We have to work together and I am sure we can come up with the scheme that we can agree on.”

He said they both had the same aim of selling and promoting Llandudno.

Cllr Graham Rees, Conwy’s Cabinet Member for Tourism, Marketing and Leisure, said: “The Pier Pavilion site has been an eyesore for decades and many people will be eager to hear about proposals to develop the site.

“This exciting proposal is another demonstration of confidence of people willing to invest in Llandudno; with the potential to be a major contribution to economic investment in the town.

"This is a golden opportunity for a quality redevelopment at a key tourism site and I wish Mr Waldron and his team every success in their endeavour.”

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #351 on: April 22, 2016, 11:32:55 am »
Does the Pier company actually have to give access to the new Pavilion development or could they continue with the frontage of shops as at present? It would actually be good if the retail units in the new Pavilion opened out on to the road at the back to give more life to that area.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #352 on: April 22, 2016, 12:02:29 pm »
Just a thought,  Dylan's in Menai Bridge has been sold to Mostyn Estates and Dylan's are looking for a suitable site in the Conwy area.   Would this be a suitable site?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: April 22, 2016, 12:57:05 pm »
Does the Pier company actually have to give access to the new Pavilion development or could they continue with the frontage of shops as at present? It would actually be good if the retail units in the new Pavilion opened out on to the road at the back to give more life to that area.
I believe the Pier Company has to grant access to the Pavilion along the area that it abuts the Pier (basically from the arcade to the Grand Hotel).

Offline Neil

« Reply #354 on: April 22, 2016, 02:08:52 pm »
When my parents brought me on holiday to Llandudno in the 50s, I remember going to a underground amusment arcade with dodgems, was it under the Pier Pavilion?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #355 on: April 22, 2016, 04:13:09 pm »
Yes that Arcade was called Tucson's, had many a good time there when I was in my teens.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #356 on: April 22, 2016, 04:20:57 pm »
I believe the Pier Company has to grant access to the Pavilion along the area that it abuts the Pier (basically from the arcade to the Grand Hotel).

How many businesses would that affect ?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #357 on: April 22, 2016, 04:50:44 pm »
This is the main reason Adam Williams is not a happy bunny,quite a few of the units backing onto the pier pavillion would sureley have to go along with his rent,lets hope they sort it out amongst themselves

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #358 on: April 22, 2016, 09:32:30 pm »
Why would  some of his units have to go ? Surely if he has unbridled use of the site for more than 10years he has adverse possession. Seeing the owner has not been available to maintain the site forr some 20 years

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2016, 07:16:25 am »
So if they deciced to put it back as it was Adam could decide you have no access,weird one that