Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380041 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2013, 12:59:31 pm »
You really hammered it home Jonty!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2013, 01:59:51 pm »
Thanks folks. Didn't want to descend into a colour-by-numbers "Ooh, aren't the council awful!" rant, as there's plenty of those and we have Oscar to drive home the criticism when it's needed (or in some cases, when it's not!).

Truth be told, I imagine that the job of the council - both members and officers alike - must be a bloody difficult one, and likely only to earn public ire (hasten to add I'm neither of those things myself, but would like to reserve my anonymity just in case) if anything even goes slightly wrong.

I've met people who work for the council and they're not the scummy, corrupt, cash-hoarding, "no work for me, thanks - I'm in the public sector!" types they're frequently made out to be. They're drawn from a wide range of backgrounds, both public and private alike, and some try the best they can do in difficult circumstances. BUT - that said, they do make some cock-ups, and my main gripe (as spelt out in my above post) is the fact that even with all sorts of checks and balances, scrutiny, expert opinion and avenues of public consultation available to them, they can still make dangerous mistakes.

What equally infuriates me is the usual rhetoric of "COUNCIL = BAD, PRIVATE = GOOD" which is aimed against them, because it tends to spell out a particular kind of pompous, "I'm a self-made man, me!" ideology, and doesn't actually get to the heart of the matter.

I digress. As for for the Pier Pavillion, what it needs is not another theater (we have one big one and if the Broadway thing goes ahead we'll have a smaller independent one) and nor does it need a hotel. We already have a museum (the one on Gloddaeth Ave, while small, does a damnably good job with what space and resources it has).

I may be aiming a bit high, but what it needs is some sort of amusement arcade type doodah. Not quite like those already on the pier. Get some sort of jungle gym for the kids (bit like Geronimo's in Rhyl), but throw in a more modern, more "immersive" style games arcade for older kids and teens. You could even bring back that simulator ride. Sort of like the Trocadero in London, if it still exists, or if anyone's familiar with it. Top it all off with a bar at the top, with a hint of Victorian decor - hell, throw in the Alice in Wonderland connection if you like. And maybe it could even be a nightclub on Friday and Saturday evenings, especially during the summer? It would replace what we've lost with Broadway shutting.

Like the pier, it would be an attraction in its own right. People would come specifically for that. And while it may not suit the elderly day-trippers - with all due love and respect to them (as, let's be fair, they've been keeping the town going for the past thirty odd years) it doesn't have to - they'd still have all the other lovelier, more old-fashioned attractions about the town to keep them going.

All completely Cloud 9, wouldn't it be lovely thinking on my part, but hell - I can dream!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2013, 06:08:24 pm »
I've always said a facsimile (externally) of the Pavilion building, but with a mix of attractions inside, is what's needed on that site. Llandudno has no need of another hotel when so many are for sale or closing. Residential use is not acceptable. The Consultants report on the site that was prepared a few years ago said the same - I've attached a copy below. But, make no mistake, it's not a small project. Construction of the building alone would be around the £6m mark, plus extra for fitting it out.

In our ideal world, moving the arcade that's currently at the pier entrance inside a new building would enable the demolition and tidying up of the pier entrance area to allow the grander (and far wider!) entrance to the pier that originally existed to be reinstated.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »
Some of the Plans for the mooted Pavilion replacement building:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »
The virtual Theme park idea was suggested some time ago.  DisneyQuest draws in the locals in big numbers.  But yes;  probably about £10m overall...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2013, 12:02:40 am »
I agree entirely with everything that has been said.

Sadly though, nothing whatsoever seems to be in the pipeline, and there is not even a 'glacial pace' as Jonty so eruditely put it.
It is complete inertia.  If it were not, we would have something to chase up, something to appraise.

But no.
Through complete lack of vision, lack of funds and most upsettingly lack of interest, absolutely nothing is going on.

When did anyone last hear a Councillor or politician speak passionately on the subject?
The previous Mayor, strutting around pretending he was getting something done about the site does not count, and quite frankly made me nauseous.

Back to sleep everyone, there's nothing going on.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2013, 06:48:03 am »
Still asleep.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2013, 08:31:49 am »

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2013, 08:34:30 am »
I'm told that 'progress' on the Pier Pavilion issue to due to be reviewed by the relevant Scrutiny Committee shortly.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2013, 08:35:45 am »
More tea and biscuits?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2014, 11:48:19 am »
BOO

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2014, 01:59:04 pm »
Ah yes, another year passes and the ruins of the Pier Pavilion slumber on undisturbed.....  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2014, 02:57:39 pm »
The Pavilion issue will next be discussed on the Thursday, 24 October 2013 by the Communities Overview
and Scrutiny Committee:

'To provide an update on the proposals for the Pier Pavilion Site following discussions with the Design Council for Wales.'

Something to look forward to, eh?  ;D
Just had a look on  the CCBC website.  The discussion on the Pier Pavilion site due on the 24th Oct 2013 was moved to the March 2014 Meeting. The March 2014 Meeting was then cancelled....  Hardly a major priority then! &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2014, 10:38:46 pm »
But I thought Mayor Robbins, (as was), promised us it would be sorted out as top priority during his 'reign'? 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:07 am »
Have you logged the promises made by the new Mayor?   Or has he been very careful to keep his trap firmly shut?    >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero