Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 384481 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:45 pm »
The fence painting that has been half finished for the last year?

Did you notice that another of the trees planted in the lawn by the pier entrance has disappeared?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »
We went on the bus ride around the Marine Drive on Sunday, we were told that the fire was started by tramps to keep warm, how true that is I have no idea!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »
If it was John who said that then I would believe him.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2012, 10:10:19 pm »
At the last meeting of Conwy County's Communities Overview and Scrutiny committee I'm sure the Chairman said there would be a report at the next meeting on the progress made regarding the Pier Pavillion Site.

Next meeting is on 9th Feb and the report title seems to be "To provide an update on the proposals for the Pier Pavilion Site following discussions with the Design Council for Wales"

Keep an eye on the following link. Agenda and reports should be out by the 2nd Feb

http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=452&MId=2758&Ver=4

The Pier Pavilion Site is not on the agenda for the 9th Feb. In the forward work programme it now says the report will go to Communities on the 16th Feb at 5pm.
I have asked the Scrutiny Chariman for confirmation.
But the link for the report should appear on the link below in the next day or so:
http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=452&MId=3100&Ver=4

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2012, 10:17:58 pm »
We went on the bus ride around the Marine Drive on Sunday, we were told that the fire was started by tramps to keep warm, how true that is I have no idea!
The press articles I have state that 3 youths were seen running away just before the fire was discovered.  Kids were breaking into the Pavilion (not difficult as no effort was made to secure the building) on a regular basis at that time and starting fires in the basement.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:06 pm »
Apprentice tramps?  :laugh:

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:33 pm »

The Pier Pavilion Site is not on the agenda for the 9th Feb. In the forward work programme it now says the report will go to Communities on the 16th Feb at 5pm.
I have asked the Scrutiny Chariman for confirmation.
But the link for the report should appear on the link below in the next day or so:
http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=452&MId=3100&Ver=4

[/quote]

Report is now on the website and will be discussed at the committee on the 16th Feb.

The report will highlight the actions being done by officers and consultation with various organisations. The aim to gove a brief for the architects to encourage them to develop a suitable design for the area.

I understand that the last submisssion by the architects in March'11, was not acceptable and would have produced a modern structure that would have been massive compared to the Grand Hotel.

The next step suggested is for the Architect to consider the guideance and submit an alternative design.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2012, 07:43:39 pm »
Thank you, Jason.

It's obvious that the current architects have little interest in following the Design Brief. The Owners of the site want a 200 bedroom hotel, whilst the Brief states that the site could only accommodate a 50 bedroom hotel if sympathetically designed. In my view, the Architect is completely unsuited to such a project and a more conservation minded Architect (such as Donald Anstell & Associates) needs to be appointed instead for this scheme to ever have any chance of progressing to the Planning Permission stage.

I'm reassured that the comprehensive design brief means that an inappropriate design will never be allowed. Also, in the unlikely event of the council approving an inappropriate design, the decision would immediately be called in by CADW/WG to prevent it ever being built.

I'm also pleased to see that one of my long standing ideas has been mentioned, namely the idea of redeveloping the entire landward end of the Pier to clear the area of the various tatty buildings and arcade, in essence recreating the original spacious layout of the Pier Entrance when the Pavilion was built. This would obviously need to be a joint venture between the Pavilion site's owner and Six Piers Ltd, which is an optimistic idea, to say the least!

As the Report says:

"There is a risk that the current architect currently engaged by the owner will persist with his current inappropriate concept design and that further unsuitable development proposals may continue to be submitted. Cadw have cautioned against settling for inappropriate schemes for this site. An unsuitable development, once constructed will impact on the area and wider town for years to come. Cadw advised that the site should demand a development solution of extreme sensitivity and high quality."

Indeed....

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:11 pm »
The Pavilion's Development Brief is well worth a read:
http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=30773

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2012, 09:14:21 am »
I wonder if CCBC mean the BREEAM standard?

i.e. British Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method.      $smack$
The new development design will need to incorporate sustainable
principles. The BREAM standard will need to be achieved. A low to
zero carbon feasibility study should be prepared for the development
and the final design should adopt the recommendations of such a
study.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:19 am »
Walked past the site yesterday and could not believe the mess,how on earth does the manager of the Grand allow CCBC tocharge rates with that eyesore next door,mind you most of the rubbish is in the hotel yard and it looks like the rubbish on the pier pavilion site has been thrown there from the Grand.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2012, 09:51:30 am »
As I said some time ago it's becoming a landfill site! $angry$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2012, 11:42:47 am »
Walked past the site yesterday and could not believe the mess,how on earth does the manager of the Grand allow CCBC tocharge rates with that eyesore next door,mind you most of the rubbish is in the hotel yard and it looks like the rubbish on the pier pavilion site has been thrown there from the Grand.
I did the same earlier in the week and noticed a pile of old beds and chairs by the Grand-- hardly lives up to it's name does it?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2012, 12:08:00 pm »
It is so sad especially when the book I am reading at the moment says,
"In 1909 the Grand Hotel was built and was the largest hotel in Wales; it forms a final flourish to the holiday resort. In 1939 it was still rated as one of the best hotels outside London."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »
So I see....