Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380043 times)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #885 on: March 07, 2018, 11:22:28 am »
"a large atrium and walkway from the pier through to Happy Valley Road."

A walkway to nowhere as access to the pier will be blocked off by the existing shops.

Offline CMG

« Reply #886 on: March 08, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »
Revamped proposals for an £18m apartment and restaurant complex that would create hundreds of jobs in Llandudno will go before planners next week.

Conwy’s planning officers have recommended the Pier Pavilion development is approved

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/revamped-pier-pavilion-proposals-sympathetic-14374935

First time I've heard about this........

"They say three floors of parking will be available to neighbouring businesses and hotels and the development includes a large atrium and walkway from the pier through to Happy Valley Road."

3 floors of parking which is 85 spaces. CCBC rule about parking provision means that 110 spaces are required just for the flats. So 85 isn't even enough for the residential part of the development...let alone for external users! aND CCBC highways department pointed out thet there is a shortfall of 195 spaces for the commercial spaces in it.  This statement about parking being available for hotels etc is out and out bull s**t. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #887 on: March 09, 2018, 01:23:53 am »
If that development gets any smaller it will be roughly the size of a pier kiosk anyway!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #888 on: March 09, 2018, 11:36:40 am »
If that development gets any smaller it will be roughly the size of a pier kiosk anyway!

Hopefully so small that it disappears.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #889 on: March 09, 2018, 05:53:56 pm »
So, you really are serious that a hole in the ground is better than a development?  &shake&
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #890 on: March 09, 2018, 07:06:25 pm »
There's one school of thought that suggests because Waldron has shown interest and is prepared to put up / borrow money to finance the project the time might be right for an investment company to create something more additive to the town: a virtual theme park has been suggested.  It would be a shame it that possibility existed and was lost, simply because a cheap and easy option was being taken.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #891 on: March 10, 2018, 08:28:30 am »
So, you really are serious that a hole in the ground is better than a development?  &shake&

The more I hear about this development the more I'm inclined to think that no building is better than a bad one.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #892 on: March 12, 2018, 11:05:01 am »
Mostyn Estates continue to oppose Llandudno redevelopment plan
Conwy Council's planning officers have recommended the plan for approval with a committee meeting booked for Wednesday to discuss the bid

Edward Hiller, managing director of Mostyn Estates, said while this was an improvement on the initial application it still fell short of “what I would expect planners to approve for this site”.

He said: “This is to replace a leisure facility in the former Pier Pavilion and while I appreciate that needs do change with time we are fundamentally opposed to residential on a site like this, adjacent to hotels and leisure.
“A residential led development conflicts with what is in the vicinity.

“There are a number of other serious issues like the lack of detail on the quality of the build.
“I hope that the planning committee see sense and are not supportive of their officers.”
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mostyn-estates-continue-oppose-llandudno-14397484

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #893 on: March 13, 2018, 08:47:17 am »
Mostyn Estates continue to oppose Llandudno redevelopment plan
Conwy Council's planning officers have recommended the plan for approval with a committee meeting booked for Wednesday to discuss the bid

Edward Hiller, managing director of Mostyn Estates, said while this was an improvement on the initial application it still fell short of “what I would expect planners to approve for this site”.

He said: “This is to replace a leisure facility in the former Pier Pavilion and while I appreciate that needs do change with time we are fundamentally opposed to residential on a site like this, adjacent to hotels and leisure.
“A residential led development conflicts with what is in the vicinity.

“There are a number of other serious issues like the lack of detail on the quality of the build.
“I hope that the planning committee see sense and are not supportive of their officers.”
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mostyn-estates-continue-oppose-llandudno-14397484
One wonders why Mostyn Estates didn't come up with their own development plan for a new leisure facility on the site in the 20 years since the fire?

Fact is, no-one else apart from Waldron wants to develop the site. Yes, it's certainly a shame that we can't have a recreation of the Pavilion with a variety of indoor attractions/facilities but no-one is willing to put up the money to do it.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #894 on: March 13, 2018, 03:52:36 pm »
Fact is, no-one else apart from Waldron wants to develop the site. Yes, it's certainly a shame that we can't have a recreation of the Pavilion with a variety of indoor attractions/facilities but no-one is willing to put up the money to do it.

Waldron is only doing it for profit and doesn't care about the short and long term effects this development will have on Llandudno.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #895 on: March 13, 2018, 04:29:49 pm »
A profit? How dare he  :o Saying that, and to echo Fester, how on earth can whatever he builds have a worse short or long term affect than the hole in the ground that has been there for the past 20 years? The only thing that could do that, would be for him to build a bigger hole  $good$

Offline CMG

« Reply #896 on: March 13, 2018, 06:57:12 pm »
A CalIn has been requested CCBC has been, issued with a directive NOT to grant permission while the decide if the Welsh Gvt will call it in or not. CCBC spare allowed to continue processing/discussing the application and CAN reject it but they cannot approve it tomorrow!  WWW

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #897 on: March 13, 2018, 08:02:00 pm »
A profit? How dare he  :o Saying that, and to echo Fester, how on earth can whatever he builds have a worse short or long term affect than the hole in the ground that has been there for the past 20 years? The only thing that could do that, would be for him to build a bigger hole  $good$

The hole in the ground is all but invisible and has no detrimental effect on surrounding businesses. The same can't be said of Waldron's proposed carbuncle.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #898 on: March 14, 2018, 02:02:59 am »
I’ve come to the conclusion that those few who now lead the opposition to the new development are doing so out of selfish and short sighted self interest.
As, to be fair, I would, if the view from my house was adversely affected.
That about summarises the issue now I think.
The opposition have made it abundantly clear that they don’t want anything building on that site, EVER.
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #899 on: March 14, 2018, 02:48:23 am »
Interesting last minute development

http://edm.conwy.gov.uk/Planning/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=2879921&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

The planning committee meeting is scheduled for 2pm this afternoon at Bodlondeb.