Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 379971 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #735 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:19 pm »
And now the translation:

Their phrase: Using a site-specific design assessment methodology the scale and massing of the new proposal has a profile that is more forgiving to the context of the site and the sweep of the bay.

What it means: "The way we've drawn it makes it look slightly less obnoxious  than it  really is"

Their phrase:The elevational treatment of the proposed development is dominated by a three-storey central structure which runs parallel to the existing properties and extends across the front of the development, articulating a modern vertical rhythm influenced by the architecture of the bay and the pier extending out to the sea

What it means: "We're hoping you haven't noticed that the way we've drawn it makes it look slightly less obnoxious  than it  really is"

Their phrase:The public realm has been enhanced with the introduction of an open meeting and destination space at the heart of the building linking the pier level and Happy Valley road to revive the site’s historic heritage in the spirit of the former pavilion.”*   [/quote]

What it means: 'We've left a hole in the middle so people can get through.

Brought to you by the anti-BS language filtration system
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #736 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:33 pm »
I would like to know how he is going to stop his underground car park flooding when the big tides happen ,our workshop/ tea room used to be under there couldn't get in on big tides .

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #737 on: October 28, 2017, 10:16:50 pm »
And now the translation:

Their phrase:The public realm has been enhanced with the introduction of an open meeting and destination space at the heart of the building linking the pier level and Happy Valley road to revive the site’s historic heritage in the spirit of the former pavilion.

What it means: 'We've left a hole in the middle so people can get through.

Brought to you by the anti-BS language filtration system

What Waldron and his cohorts can't take on board is the fact the North side of the Pier Pavilion Site does not and never has been on Happy Valley Road. It sits squarely at the top end of North Parade. The buildings opposite, the public toilets (now closed) and the Grand Hotel all have the LL30 2LP Postal Code i.e. North Parade. So why is he so reluctant to acknowledge the fact? If he can't even get the address right after all the time and money he's spent on all the so called expert consultants and advisors, then what else have they got wrong?  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline CMG

« Reply #738 on: October 28, 2017, 10:35:14 pm »
I wouldn't have believed it possible but the revised design is even more awful. The cut back in the roof does nothing to lessen the objections to it still being a block of flats and the pier is not the right place for a block of flats!  It's still much too big for the site, disregarding the specification in the CCBC Development Design Brief that any new development should confirm to the height, scale and mass of the pavilion....it still has too few parking spaces, even for fewer flats. At the Town Hall meeting earlier this year we were informed by Cllr. Greg Robins that the county council specified that new developments have a parking space for every bedroom and 1 visitor space for every 3 flats...so Waldron needs to provide 110 spaces just for the flats. Then there is no parking for these proposed restaurants (which I do not believe are ever intended to happen). The new atrium entrance on to the pier... Well...The last time I spoke to Adam Williams he was definitely not going to agree to removing his kiosks...has he changed his mind in the last few weeks? Or has Waldron kept his consulting heritage architects in the dark about not having access?

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #740 on: October 29, 2017, 09:24:59 pm »
It would seem a pointless application if the development has no access to the pier so why would Waldron make such an application? 
Could it be that he has had discussions with Adam Williams already and there was no satisfactory agreement reached?    They do say that every person has their price but apart from that there must be many other reasons why objections could be made to this planning application

Offline Blongb

« Reply #741 on: November 01, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »
I bought a copy of the NWWN today because it had an article on the latest design changes to the proposed Blot on the Pier. I was most intrigued with the large colour picture showing how the redesigned monstrosity would look when viewed from the promenade. It showed my property peeping out around the edge, so you could easily think well that's not so bad. Unfortunately for Mr Waldron I wasn't born yesterday. When I looked more closely I could see where my property had been moved in the photograph to the South by more than its full width, giving a totally false and misleading impression of what the finished redevelopment will look like. Next time Mr Waldron a little honesty please and try employing a more professional firm to do your Graphics. You might have moved the House but you forgot to move the Garden Wall.  :o

Offline Dave

« Reply #742 on: November 01, 2017, 02:17:58 pm »
That bit of skullduggery deserves a wider audience.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #743 on: November 01, 2017, 03:18:43 pm »
Hi Blongb - that's a cracker of a story. If you want to get in touch email tom.davidson@trinitymirror.com
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #744 on: November 02, 2017, 01:48:34 pm »
Hi Blongb - that's a cracker of a story. If you want to get in touch email tom.davidson@trinitymirror.com

I've just sent you a private e-mail Tom

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #745 on: November 02, 2017, 03:58:36 pm »
I've just sent you a private e-mail Tom

$good$     $good$      $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #746 on: November 03, 2017, 11:03:32 am »
I've just looked at an aerial view of the area and have to say I don't agree with Blongb. Take a look at the attached aerial image - the red line indicates the extent of the Pavilion building, taken from the viewpoint where the cgi image was generated (by the wishing well on the prom). You can clearly see that all of the hotels and former hotels along that section of road are clearly visible on the left-hand side of that red line, as per the cgi image.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #747 on: November 03, 2017, 11:38:19 am »
That may be the case Dave but it still seems like a deliberate deception to me, with the angle of the photo.     Most of the other photos of this computer generated monstrosity have been taken from further down the promenade and that is the view that most people will see the building from.

Using buzz words and cleverly angled photos shouldn't be a reason for granting planning to this building

Offline Blongb

« Reply #748 on: November 03, 2017, 11:53:54 am »
I've just looked at an aerial view of the area and have to say I don't agree with Blongb. Take a look at the attached aerial image - the red line indicates the extent of the Pavilion building, taken from the viewpoint where the cgi image was generated (by the wishing well on the prom). You can clearly see that all of the hotels and former hotels along that section of road are clearly visible on the left-hand side of that red line, as per the cgi image.

We are discussing two different images Dave. I was referring to the one shown towards the end of the Video clip, which wasn't taken from the wishing well but was taken from the middle of the slipway 175 yards to the south, which does have a major impact on the perspective.

Offline CMG

« Reply #749 on: November 03, 2017, 05:36:04 pm »
8 objections on the planning portal so planning committee will have to be a public meeting. Town council still objects.