Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380370 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #990 on: April 23, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »
Me too,  rumblings from interested parties, that that the WA have waived objections aside.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #991 on: April 26, 2018, 09:55:19 am »
You are correct Fester

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #992 on: April 26, 2018, 04:40:38 pm »
I haven’t seen any official announcement though?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #993 on: April 26, 2018, 04:42:45 pm »
Controversial plans for Llandudno’s Pier Pavilion look set to be given the green light.

The Welsh Government have decided not to call in the controversial plans to develop the site, clearing the way for developer Alan Waldron to realise their plans.

A letter by Welsh Government's head of planning decisions, Mrs T Davies, on behalf of the cabinet secretary for energy, planning and rural affairs revealed the Welsh Government’s decision not to intervene claiming most of the issues raised had either been addressed or were matters that were "local in nature" and could be resolved within the county.

Mrs Davies, in the letter, said: "The issues arising from the development have been assessed against natonal and local planning policies in an appropriate manner. They are not considered to have and wide effects and, while the application has raised a number of local objections, this can not be considered to be substantial controversy beyond the immediate locality.

"The proposal does not adversely impact on sites of scientific, nature conservation or historic interest, or area of landscape importance and it does not raise issues of national security or novel planning issues.

"I do not consider the issue as more than local importance and the application should not be called in for determination by the Welsh Ministers. It is now for your authority to determine the application."

Conwy County Borough Council planning committee granted conditional planning permission in March, subject to the Welsh Government removing the direction. So now it has been removed the plans must now pass a number of minor planning hurdles before being given the final go ahead.

The £18 million proposed plans would see the construction of 48 high-quality apartments, two restaurants and an underground car park and is expected to create more than 100 jobs.  ref Pioneer

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/16187027.Pier_Pavilion_plans_to_move_ahead_after_Welsh_Government_decide_not_to_intervene/

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #994 on: April 26, 2018, 11:10:42 pm »
I haven’t seen any official announcement though?
I have

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #995 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:47 am »
The eventual outcome was never really in any doubt. Rightly or wrongly, the planning system in its current form enables any Developer whose plans 'tick all the required boxes' to get permission for their project.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #996 on: April 27, 2018, 11:34:27 am »
Maybe but isn’t getting access to build the development now going to be a major problem?

Offline Dave

« Reply #997 on: April 27, 2018, 11:52:36 am »
No doubt the saga will drag on for ages yet before the inevitable happens. At least you feel that the developer is keen to get things moving and the site developed rather than leaving an eyesore for many more years to come.

Offline CMG

« Reply #998 on: April 27, 2018, 01:42:07 pm »
I took down SOS because it has no further function.  Nothing I or any other member of the public says is now going to change this - the decision is made.  So there is no use for a campaign against it!  The only person who can stop this now is Adam Williams if he is prepared to fight a legal battle to protect the pier.  The council said there would be a condition on the planning consent to say no building work could start until the issue of right (or not) of access to the pier was sorted out. I hope they keep their word on that (I'm not holding my breath!!)
Williams reckons there is only a small area by the set of stairs which still exists at the end by The Grand which has right of access, Waldron reckons he has full access for the whole of the frontage (of Benidorm Tower) where the old ironwork is...CCBC said that was a planning consideration along with the covenants that the pier land holds saying no food or alcohol can be sold from the pavilion land (restaurants?).  So its all down to Adam Williams - if he is prepared for a costly legal battle. Hurry up and wait for the answer to that one!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #999 on: April 27, 2018, 03:18:28 pm »
No doubt the saga will drag on for ages yet before the inevitable happens. At least you feel that the developer is keen to get things moving and the site developed rather than leaving an eyesore for many more years to come.

It appears that local issues have no importance when it comes to planning matters so it is giving the developers the green light to do whatever they want to do.
As for the eyesore aspect then once the building has been built we will be stuck with a more permanent eyesore.    I just hope that Adam Williams can afford to stick to his word about access.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1000 on: April 27, 2018, 05:18:48 pm »
Surely it's not that complicated, the answer must be in the deeds? If there is no access it might well be available at a price though, most things are.

Offline philfishlaw

« Reply #1001 on: May 21, 2018, 12:13:43 am »
Hi everybody, I have joined this site so that I can find out about any concerns people may have. Perhaps I should explain, I am Phil Capper a Councillor on CCBC and I have noted comments about the development by the pier in Llandudno. Various posts have been made commenting on some councillors not having voted. This is the situation, in order to vote you must be at the meeting but when you are elected to the council you are appointed to various bodies and committees, some of these clash and you give your apologies for the meeting that you cannot attend. This was the case with regards to this development, you cant be in two places at the same time. I feel that it is important that the workings of the council are explained as they can be a bit strange ( they certainly were to me before I became a councillor). I know that councillors want to do the best for the community in which they live and I am happy to Discus any issues on this forum or through my council contact details.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1002 on: May 21, 2018, 08:06:53 am »
Good to have you here, Phil;  few councillors are prepared to stick their heads above the parapet.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline TELL

« Reply #1003 on: May 21, 2018, 09:19:10 am »
Welcome Phil,

You may be in for an interesting ride.

Can you let me know what other business was more important for our Councillors than the future of one of the most iconic locations in Llandudno?

Good luck with your endeavours, it is good to know that at least one councillor is interested in what the people that they represent actually think.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1004 on: May 21, 2018, 10:34:25 am »
Welcome Phil,
You may be in for an interesting ride.

Can you let me know what other business was more important for our Councillors than the future of one of the most iconic locations in Llandudno?

Good luck with your endeavours, it is good to know that at least one councillor is interested in what the people that they represent actually think.

Phil, Thank you for joining in, I would also like to hear the answer to TELL's question.