Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380180 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #720 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:56 am »
Fresh twist in controversial £15m Llandudno Pier Pavilion development saga.

A statement from CREU and Mr Waldron said: “CREU are currently undertaking a detailed review of the pavilion site proposals in order to ensure they represent the most appropriate architectural response to the unique character of this location and historic context.

“In parallel, a heritage and significance assessment will aim to demonstrate how the design can be justified against all relevant policy and guidance.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/fresh-twist-controversial-15m-llandudno-13577929

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #721 on: September 06, 2017, 11:22:34 am »
I understand that the Planning Application will not now be considered until November. Will be interesting to see what changes are made to the original submitted design.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #722 on: September 06, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
And I wonder if the 'new' design will not have been sitting in the architect's offices simply waiting until the furore abut the original hideous design died down.  Not exactly a novel ploy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: September 06, 2017, 11:29:17 am »
Exclusive look at the new design:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #724 on: September 06, 2017, 11:29:56 am »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #725 on: September 06, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »
And I wonder if the 'new' design will not have been sitting in the architect's offices simply waiting until the furore abut the original hideous design died down.  Not exactly a novel ploy.

He'll be putting his plans on Christmas Cards next to try and brainwash us. Ahhh...

Offline CMG

« Reply #726 on: September 06, 2017, 05:19:48 pm »
My interpretation of the article in The Post...

Mr Waldron has been informed by planning Chiefs that his current plans will not get approval. So he is having to revise them.

:P WWW :twoface:

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #727 on: October 26, 2017, 11:38:12 am »
Mr Waldron has just resubmitted his revised planning application for the Pier Pavilion site. 0/43784 and 0/43785.

This time its only for 49 apartments, commercial (A3) floorspace and related access and parking........ &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »
Because it's a new application if anyone disagrees with the application they need to write in again to CCBC  with their objections.   The previous applications will not be counted as I understand it

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: October 27, 2017, 02:27:17 pm »
What I find so astonishing is how most people will be duped by this tactic. It's pretty obvious that the first design was merely to anticipate all the anger, so this design - almost certainly the original, anyway  - will appear that much better by comparison. It's the oldest trick in the book and yet he'll probably get away with it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #731 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:46 pm »
Using photographs from different angles does not improve the design, and I love this......

*.Using a site-specific design assessment methodology the scale and massing of the new proposal has a profile that is more forgiving to the context of the site and the sweep of the bay.

“The elevational treatment of the proposed development is dominated by a three-storey central structure which runs parallel to the existing properties and extends across the front of the development, articulating a modern vertical rhythm influenced by the architecture of the bay and the pier extending out to the sea

“The public realm has been enhanced with the introduction of an open meeting and destination space at the heart of the building linking the pier level and Happy Valley road to revive the site’s historic heritage in the spirit of the former pavilion.”*       _))*

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #732 on: October 27, 2017, 03:54:07 pm »

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #733 on: October 27, 2017, 03:58:32 pm »
linking the pier level and Happy Valley road to revive the site’s historic heritage

Except the attitude of the developer means he won't have any access to the pier and the public will be met by the back of the pier's retail units.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #734 on: October 27, 2017, 04:05:24 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/fresh-llandudno-pier-pavilion-images-13819322#ICID=nsm

I see from the video clip Waldren hasn't grasped the fact he dose'nt have access onto the Pier any more. It's privately owned and he has no right of way, to use it.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)