Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380087 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #660 on: March 17, 2017, 01:04:47 pm »
Neither can a totally unsuitable building be allowed to happen just because the site has been an eyesore for 20 years.    Leisure facilities and entertainment have been on that site and it's time that more consideration was given to the younger generation.

Offline CMG

« Reply #661 on: March 17, 2017, 04:19:33 pm »
Adam Williams the pier owner would like to develop it as part of the pier (which it used to be!) I was informed that Waldron had "pipped him to the post". 

Waldron's Plan is actually fraudulent as it states "existing kiosks to be removed".  Adam Williams has said he has never been asked to move the kiosks and has no intention of doing so.  Presumably his legal people have checked for any rights of way. 

I was also told yeapsterday by a friend who has spoken to Waldron that he said if he gets planning permission he will refurbish the colonnade (so that's his sweetener eh!). Well as the whole of North Parade beyond the Church Walks Roundabout will have to be closed off to provide him with an ancillary building site for his portacabins, machinery, building supply storage and parking for contractor vehicles( because there is no room on the pavilion site he is building on every inch)...he will have easy access to the colonnade won't he!  If not easy access to his main site!!!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #662 on: March 17, 2017, 04:48:11 pm »
I did wonder why AW never took it on, however that, I think would have been a different kind of headache, leaning towards a funfair type attraction etc. Not what we need, but I am not sure what would fit in and be a viable proposition.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #663 on: March 17, 2017, 04:56:06 pm »
Steve, that's what was there previously with the Tuscon's amusement place and as a teenager I've spent many hours there.   

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #664 on: March 17, 2017, 05:14:08 pm »
Steve, that's what was there previously with the Tuscon's amusement place and as a teenager I've spent many hours there.   
I didnt know Llandudno that well, most of my early teens were in Rhos and the Bay,  as I said I am not sure what is needed but I think  we could do better.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #665 on: March 17, 2017, 06:16:20 pm »
Adam Williams the pier owner would like to develop it as part of the pier (which it used to be!) I was informed that Waldron had "pipped him to the post". 

Waldron's Plan is actually fraudulent as it states "existing kiosks to be removed".  Adam Williams has said he has never been asked to move the kiosks and has no intention of doing so.  Presumably his legal people have checked for any rights of way. 

I was also told yeapsterday by a friend who has spoken to Waldron that he said if he gets planning permission he will refurbish the colonnade (so that's his sweetener eh!). Well as the whole of North Parade beyond the Church Walks Roundabout will have to be closed off to provide him with an ancillary building site for his portacabins, machinery, building supply storage and parking for contractor vehicles( because there is no room on the pavilion site he is building on every inch)...he will have easy access to the colonnade won't he!  If not easy access to his main site!!!

This all sounds as though various places are going to have very difficult access during the proposed works.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Neil

« Reply #666 on: March 18, 2017, 12:17:14 pm »
After considering the revised plans since publication I think the plan would be acceptable if two or preferably three storeys were removed from the design, I doubt this would be acceptable to the developer, but I don't care because I can see no eyesore or derelict building on the site and would be happy for it to remain as it is until somebody comes up with a better plan.

Offline CMG

« Reply #667 on: March 18, 2017, 06:26:45 pm »
Maybe that is his intention all along. When it gets turned down he comes back with no restaurants but flats on those levels and two stories lower....I would still object to flats on that site though.

Offline Neil

« Reply #668 on: March 18, 2017, 10:14:51 pm »
I think best plan for the site would be for the council to refuse all planning applications that involve very rich people trying to get richer, who have no concern for the community or the view at all! until the value of the site is reduced to a level that the council can buy it and turn it into a children's playground or other project valued by the people and ratepayers of Llandudno.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #669 on: March 18, 2017, 11:14:38 pm »
Neil,  your suggestions sounds too simple, but I must admit that I can't fault them at all.     If this site was screened off very sympathetically so you couldn't see it ( or even smell it)  then no one could say that it was an eyesore any longer.
It has gone on for so long that a few more years won't make any difference but in the meantime CCBC could do a compulsory purchase on it and then develop it into a project that would benefit the people of Llandudno and not those that just want to exploit the situation.

One Councillor suggested a compulsory purchase on the land and make it into a park for locals and visitors alike and the idea was ridiculed, why I don't know because they were the only person to come up with a sensible suggestion or any suggestion for that matter.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #670 on: March 19, 2017, 08:26:37 am »
It's a shame Mostyn didn't buy it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #671 on: March 19, 2017, 09:20:16 am »
They seem to have something to do with it, which is a bit of a mystery considering that they don't own the freehold on the site.   The only thing I can think of is that access to the site is from the promenade and Mostyn Estates does own the freehold on that land.

Offline Neil

« Reply #672 on: March 19, 2017, 09:53:56 am »
Hugo, The councillor that came up with the sensible suggestion that was ridiculed probably wasn't a Mason.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #673 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »
I wonder if CMG could be right and that Mr Waldron is trying to pull a fast one with his restaurants, after all he has gone back already on what he originally promised.
I wouldn't have thought so, in the longer term the rental income from the restaurants will be far more lucrative than the apartments one-off sale price.

i was looking at the FLAG  Website earlier today to see what it was saying about the proposed Pier Pavilion application.   Amongst all the comments was a bit about the restaurants.     In it it quoted some of the conditions in the application, chapter and verse and in it I read that if the developer cannot find suitable occupiers for the restaurants then the developer reserves the right to convert the space for the restaurants into apartments.
Now if that doesn't show you how untrustworthy these developers are then nothing will.       
I've looked again for it but can't find the article so I can't quote the exact details but I do know what I've read.
Anwyl's application for the Penmorfa Hotel site  is obvious in it's blatant deception but this one is more underhand and sneaky

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #674 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:22 pm »
There'll be a Burger King, and if we're lucky a Pizza Hut, I'm telling you!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -