Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380490 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #570 on: January 01, 2017, 03:19:14 pm »
Sorry Hugo  :( I got a bit carried away there, I sound like Private Frazer from Dad's Army " We're all doomed, doomed I tell ye" But it's what we have come to expect from certain departments of CCBC isn't it.

Thank you for your kind wishes and a Happy, Healthy New Year to you and your family. Please keep your walks and photographs coming we enjoy them immensely.

Meleri

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #571 on: January 13, 2017, 04:45:26 pm »
The Future of Llandudno Action Group (FLAG) is reporting that the site is slowly filling up with sewage:

Exploratory excavations on the former Pier Pavilion site have not only exacerbated the ‘eyesore’ but have fractured sewage pipes from The Grand Hotel. Repair work was carried out by contractors for the developer in December but it appears the problem was not solved; raw sewage continues to contaminate the site.

Pools of raw sewage and kitchen waste are quite deep and very large and the stench is bad even in this cold weather. Rat footprints are everywhere on this cesspit.

https://www.facebook.com/Llandudnopierpavilionsite/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #572 on: January 13, 2017, 11:56:06 pm »
It IS filling with sewage, seriously, and it's a massive threat in more ways than one.

When the developer's survey team drilled on the site, they managed to fracture the sewer from The Grand hotel.   Workmen from Dwr Cymru I believe, 'fixed' the sewer.
However, some weeks later, an expanding pool of raw sewage was noted, and the stench has been complained about on the pier by visitors and employees.
When the CCBC public health dept examined the site, they also detected raw sewage seeping through the sea wall into the sea.
This is an obvious threat to the town's blue flag bathing status..... and to public health!
As of this week, the pit of s##t is still growing, and no one seems to be able to take responsibility for tackling this serious problem.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #573 on: January 14, 2017, 09:33:23 am »
Let's hope something is done before the summer...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #574 on: January 14, 2017, 10:41:45 am »
Mostyn Estates gives verdict on Pier Pavilion proposal and predicts Llandudno set to thrive in 2017.

There is to be significant remodelling work at the Mostyn Champneys Retail Park, and preparatory work starts this month on Tudno Castle development with the main contractors due to be on site in a matter of weeks.”

On the controversial proposals for the derelict Pier Pavilion site, he said: “Whilst interest in the redevelopment of the site is welcomed, together with the inward investment it would bring; in my view the desirability of wanting something to happen with it should not override achieving the right development for the town.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/mostyn-estates-gives-verdict-pier-12448647

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #575 on: January 14, 2017, 10:47:29 am »
Well now the     $fan$   who is going to foot the bill for the clean up?

Will it be the Nixons who own the site or will it be Mr Waldron who has an option to buy it, or will they pass it on to the ratepayers?    I just hope that the mess is cleaned up as soon as possible as this proposed development has caused enough stink already.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #576 on: January 14, 2017, 02:14:12 pm »
Maybe the plan is to cause such as stink that any development that gets rid of it would we welcomed, no matter how bad it looks? The comments from Mostyn Estates is very interesting - to me at least it implies they aren't too impressed with the current plans either.

One other point that was raised on the facebook page for FLAG was that as virtually the whole site is going to be redeveloped there won't be any space for the usual builders huts, stores, etc and so all of this would most likely have to go on the street behind the development.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #577 on: January 14, 2017, 03:47:25 pm »
Maybe the plan is to cause such as stink that any development that gets rid of it would we welcomed, no matter how bad it looks? The comments from Mostyn Estates is very interesting - to me at least it implies they aren't too impressed with the current plans either.

One other point that was raised on the facebook page for FLAG was that as virtually the whole site is going to be redeveloped there won't be any space for the usual builders huts, stores, etc and so all of this would most likely have to go on the street behind the development.

I got that impression too about Mostyn Estates views on the proposed development.   It's completely out of character and scale of the surrounding area.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »
It IS filling with sewage, seriously, and it's a massive threat in more ways than one.

When the developer's survey team drilled on the site, they managed to fracture the sewer from The Grand hotel.   Workmen from Dwr Cymru I believe, 'fixed' the sewer.
However, some weeks later, an expanding pool of raw sewage was noted, and the stench has been complained about on the pier by visitors and employees.
When the CCBC public health dept examined the site, they also detected raw sewage seeping through the sea wall into the sea.
This is an obvious threat to the town's blue flag bathing status..... and to public health!
As of this week, the pit of s##t is still growing, and no one seems to be able to take responsibility for tackling this serious problem.
When the old Pavilion was extant, there was often a problem with the drains from the Grand Hotel blocking (due to grease entering the drains) and this would result in the basement of the Pavilion (which was then used for the Llandudno Dungeon exhibition) flooding with sewage.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2017, 04:48:14 pm »
Wouldn't the developer of the site have to re-route the pipes as part of their plans so they could be protected and easily accessed?

Surely CCBC should take action against raw sewage filling the site and tell the developer to either fix it or they will and them them the bill.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »
I've been for a meeting at the Pier today, and I can confirm that the pit of sewage is still growing Day by day.... and NOTHING is being done about it.
The pier management have exhausted all avenues.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #581 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:08 pm »
Mr Waldron was down in the pit this afternoon. Didn’t manage to work  out what  he was up to but his workman used the excavator to make a small scrap from smelly corner to the centre of the site.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

« Reply #582 on: January 20, 2017, 02:07:47 pm »
I find it hard to believe that 3 people actually support the idea of leaving this eyesore as it is for another 20 years. I could guess who they might be but I hope by voting it doesn't reveal who you are to anyone including the mods. I wouldn't want anyone to know if it was me!

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #583 on: January 20, 2017, 03:02:29 pm »
I find it hard to believe that 3 people actually support the idea of leaving this eyesore as it is for another 20 years. I could guess who they might be but I hope by voting it doesn't reveal who you are to anyone including the mods. I wouldn't want anyone to know if it was me!

Anyone with an ounce of sence has to realise it's in the towns best interest for the site to be redeveloped. It just comes down to finance. Can anyone afford to put something there that would be an amenity to residents and visitors alike or must it end up being a massive monstrosity for the benefit of a few.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #584 on: January 20, 2017, 04:24:14 pm »

Leave the site empty or allow someone to destroy one of the best views in Wales? Hmmm...