Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 388620 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #540 on: December 02, 2016, 02:44:22 pm »
I think we are in for a long battle, I do not understand Waldrons confidence, that CCBC will not object too the plan, or am I being naive.........

Llandudno Pier Pavilion pressure group started...but developer says scale and modern design will not change.

Full article......
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-pavilion-pressure-group-12264279

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #541 on: December 02, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »
Mr Waldron is developing a site (formally Long Les sign writer) at Glan Conwy the arrangement appears to be that in exchange for the site he gets a penthouse apartment .I believe that there is a boundary dispute ongoing already with a neighbour, (
he has foundations on land in dispute)his track record with the quay would suggest some interesting news to come

Thanks for posting that Spotty Dog,  I drove past the site in Glan Conwy and wondered what was going on.    John Les' penthouse is a long way off and he should be careful, very careful.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #542 on: December 03, 2016, 07:44:27 am »
Have you heard about the proposed name for said pressure group....

https://twitter.com/DPTomDavidson/status/804795955065319424

:o :o :o
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #543 on: December 03, 2016, 08:02:36 am »
 _))* _))* _))*  Oh, dear...

Perhaps they need an umbrella group: Wales And Llandudno Local Interest in Excellence Society... (Or perhaps not)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: December 03, 2016, 09:31:36 am »
How about 'Save Hotels In Town'?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #545 on: December 05, 2016, 11:47:24 am »
I've added in a poll to ascertain members' thoughts on what should happen with the site.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #546 on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:02 pm »
I've added in a poll to ascertain members' thoughts on what should happen with the site.

As much as I would like to see option 2,  I think a developer would need the profit from the flats to justify costs, but not to the present scale, which is abhorrent.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:11:37 pm by Ian »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »
The proposed name for the pressure group has now been dropped

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-pressure-sees-slag-12273214

Strangely though,  I have spoken to two people today about the development.   One was a hotelier who has a hotel by the pier and the other was someone I met in a coffee morning and they both have said that the plans have been withdrawn because of the opposition to them.
I have seen no evidence to support their comments but even if I did I wouldn't trust the developer one bit as  they will not be abandoning the idea of developing something there

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #548 on: December 06, 2016, 06:24:31 pm »
The proposed name for the pressure group has now been dropped

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-pressure-sees-slag-12273214

.... I wouldn't trust the developer one bit as  they will not be abandoning the idea of developing something there

I think the bigger worry is that they DO abandon plans to develop SOMETHING there!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #549 on: December 06, 2016, 09:14:23 pm »
I think the bigger worry is that they DO abandon plans to develop SOMETHING there!

Frankly if it's a choice between Waldron and nothing I'd opt for nothing. He clearly saw an opportunity to make big bucks and it has spectacularly backfired. The site is all but hidden except from the rear and it doesn't spoil as many views as the carbuncle would have done.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #550 on: December 06, 2016, 10:14:04 pm »

Frankly if it's a choice between Waldron and nothing I'd opt for nothing. He clearly saw an opportunity to make big bucks and it has spectacularly backfired. The site is all but hidden except from the rear and it doesn't spoil as many views as the carbuncle would have done.

In a way I agree with you OrmeMac but blame CCBC for not compulsory purchasing the site after the fire.  I know about the planning requirements for that area but these developers can and will exploit all the loopholes they can get away with.
One Councillor suggested a compulsory purchase on it and make it into a park but was ridiculed for making the suggestion.   Why?   It makes more sense than just leaving it as an eyesore and letting the freeholders to take the mick out of the Council.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #551 on: December 08, 2016, 02:11:48 pm »
The council should not be blamed for not compulsory purchasing the site. If they had done so, they would have been under an obligation to rebuild the pier pavilion, with no budget to do so. That would have put an intolerable burden on Conwy rate payers. Where the Council did miss an opportunity was not using the power of the town and country planning act to put prohibitive fines on Mr Nixon the site owner to clear up the site, properly fence it off to keep the public safe maintain the site  so as not to be an eyesore on the town. The fines that can be imposed are very punitive and it wouldn't have been long before he would have been forced to get rid of it.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #552 on: December 08, 2016, 10:19:01 pm »
Good to see you back on the forum Blongb and I trust that your knee operation went well in Gobowen.

When I said a compulsory purchase for the Pier Pavilion site I didn't expect CCBC to have to rebuild it, I meant for them to acquire the land and then develop it as and when was suitable for them to do so.
CCBC have had the powers to force the former owner to do something but for whatever reason they have chosen not to do so, like they have for the Castle Hotel and the Penmorfa Hotel

When the Pavilion was burnt down I remember it being fenced off and a chain and padlock on the gate to what was the entrance to the former Tucson amusements and there was a notice on the gate which I seem to remember saying something like No entrance by Order of Mostyn Estates. Now Mostyn Estates had no interest in the land or the building so I don't know what that was about or why they are involved in this matter either

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: December 09, 2016, 10:17:20 am »
Mostyn Estates have no interest in the Pavilion site, as far as I know.

As far as a Compulsory Purchase goes, CCBC did one on the derelict market hall in Colwyn Bay. They bought the site, cleared it and fenced it off. It's now sitting there until a developer is found to take on the site.

Absolutely no reason why they couldn't have done the same with the Pavilion site.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #554 on: December 09, 2016, 11:11:31 am »
Mostyn Estates have no interest in the Pavilion site, as far as I know.

So why did they reportedly do the recent groundworks on the site?

Mostyn Estates have paid for a Mechanical Digger which is clearing the Pier Pavilion Site today, so they can carry out a survey tomorrow which will enable them to check the feasibility of the site for redevelopment, although they don't own the site at the moment.