Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 379772 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »
I have also been in touch with JF-S and this is her reply:

I suppose they could argue that the asset values are of immensely
different scale, however the principle remains the same and whether
the will is there. I have asked to be involved in discussions with
site owners and agents of Pier Pavilion Site, so hopefully I do hope
that in the not too distant future we can move something forward
that will bring much value to Llandudno as an asset instead of the
current remaining eyesore.

A pretty fair answer I think, and seems to indicate that she is as keen as any of us to get something befitting the town.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:48 pm »
That is a fair Politician's answer Yorkie but exactly who are the people involved in the discussions with the site owners and agents of the Pier Pavillion site?     ???

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 04:35:21 pm »
That is a fair Politician's answer Yorkie but exactly who are the people involved in the discussions with the site owners and agents of the Pier Pavillion site?     ???

As you would probably expect - I haven't a clue.  I only asked the one question of JF-S.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 05:08:55 pm »
She's talking about CCBC. I'm not convinced by her assertion that 'the asset values are of immensely different scale'. The Pier Pavilion site is an awkward site to develop, is still classified as a Listed Building and has several very restrictive covenants covering future usage of the land. Given that a CPO is based upon an independent valuation of the open market value of the Land as it stands now, I don't see a CPO is out of the reach of CCBC. As I said, if it can be done for the old Market Hall in Colwyn Bay, surely it can be done for a very prominent site in Llandudno?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 06:00:23 pm »
Our old friend, the Pier Pavilion site, gets a special mention in the proposed Local Development Plan;

CR4 / MS11 - Pier Pavilion, Llandudno
"The pier pavilion site on Llandudno promenade has been proposed for tourism
and/or leisure uses. Being on the promenade in a central location and within
the boundaries of the Llandudno Conservation Area, a sensitive design
approach would be required for any proposal. The Council supports the use of
this site for tourism/leisure uses and discussions are ongoing with the owners
with a view to developing in the early to medium Plan phases."

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/448/BP21_Site_Deliverability_Assessment.pdf

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 09:45:07 pm »
I fear that expectation's may be being raised without substance.
The reality is that the subject was discussed at the Communities Scrutiny Committee (of which Cllr Cossey is the Chairman) at the request of Cllr Christine Jones. An update on all the failed attempts to move forward was presented and the issue discussed.
The sticking point remains to be the the fact it is in private owenership by a Mr Taylor from Worcestshire.
The committee resolved to invite Mr Taylor to a meeting to discuss his plans for the site.
The reloution of the meeting was:
a)         That the Pier Pavilion site be referred to the Strategic Site Development Group as a priority for review and for promotion as a re-development site in all the activities of the Group and constituent officers/departments.

(b)        That CADW be challenged on the reasons for retaining the Listed Building status on the site.

(c)        That the possibility of removing the covenants should be investigated.

(d)        That discussion be undertaken with the Economic and Regeneration Unit of the Welsh Assembly Government on the possibility of a Compulsory Purchase Order.

(e)        That a regular clean-up of the site should be undertaken, as and when necessary, together with the hoardings being replaced and the owner re-charged for any works undertaken.

(f)          That a letter be sent to the owner requesting a meeting with a small delegation of Members to discuss a way forward for the site.

See http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=452&MId=2344&Ver=4
 for a copy of the report and minutes of the meeting.

Jason, can I ask if anything ever transpired from this meeting? In particular, was a meeting with David Taylor ever held and what progress has been made in regard to the Compulsory Purchase order?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 11:47:19 pm »
Very good question Dave,  I am very keen to see some follow up and tangible progress on this issue.

Especially seeing as our new Mayor has made the Pier Pavilion site a top priority.
365 days passes very quickly Mr Robbins!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2011, 09:43:03 pm »
Jason, did you see this post:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42.msg29070#msg29070
A meeting did happen between officers, Cllr Brian Cossey and a representative of the owner. The owner seems insistent in holding out to develop the site. I understand a new set of plans were to be submitted "soon", but I understand the expectation is that the development will yet again be to large for the site and the surrounding area.  I will ask for an update on the other actions.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 12:07:51 pm »
Why don't the planning department just say to the owner you haven't got a hope of ever "developing" this land and do a compulsory purchase?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 12:59:52 pm »
Why don't the planning department just say to the owner you haven't got a hope of ever "developing" this land and do a compulsory purchase?

Probably because he'd appeal.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »

Probably because he'd appeal.
...which wouldn't work unless CCBC had not followed the CPO procedure correctly. That is the only real ground for granting such an appeal, so the CPO procedure tends to go through smoothly if done properly.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 10:11:13 pm »
Regarding the Pier Pavilion, I found these cuttings from the Llandudno Regeneration Strategy report done back in the early 1990s(?). It recommends the reconstruction of the Pavilion as a multi-use leisure facility:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2011, 09:26:04 am »
CCBC Report has been issued on the Compulsory Purchase of Colwyn Bay's derelict former Market Hall. I believe the cost is around £800,000. My question is this...given that Llandudno's Pier Pavilion site has been a far larger and more prominent eyesore for many years, why will CCBC not carry out a CPO on that site, given that the reasons stated for acquisition of the Market Hall apply equally to the Pavilion site?

http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/published/c00000171/m00002707/ai00029836/$reporttocpomarkethallpart2.doc.pdf
(please copy and paste link to view)

Offline dwsi

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2011, 08:21:53 pm »
CCBC Report has been issued on the Compulsory Purchase of Colwyn Bay's derelict former Market Hall. I believe the cost is around £800,000. My question is this...given that Llandudno's Pier Pavilion site has been a far larger and more prominent eyesore for many years, why will CCBC not carry out a CPO on that site, given that the reasons stated for acquisition of the Market Hall apply equally to the Pavilion site?

http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/published/c00000171/m00002707/ai00029836/$reporttocpomarkethallpart2.doc.pdf
(please copy and paste link to view)

link doesn't work. use www.bit.ly to shorten it to something like http://bit.ly/qOWMdD

Offline dwsi

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 01:22:27 pm »
BBC News - Llandudno pier: No development for 'eyesore' pavilion http://bbc.in/pcy0hQ