Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380477 times)

Offline Greyhound

Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #435 on: November 02, 2016, 01:13:04 pm »
I think the design is wholly inappropriate for the site. The massing is overbearing and the vertical emphasis is wrong. However, I don't think sticking some plastic 'Victorian' detailing is needed either, that would just be a pastiche.

I think something along the lines of Marine Court in St. Leonards (google image it, tried to upload an image but couldn't) would work well. Art Deco in inspiration but pared-down and with a definite horizontal emphasis in terms of lines. The building should also be one storey lower and be stepped down towards the Golden Goose end by about two stories. Similar type apartments are being built in London today, see here: http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/new-homes/london/battersea/vista-chelsea-bridge

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #436 on: November 02, 2016, 03:24:36 pm »
The Pier Owner is unhappy about the Pavilion scheme, says he may have to charge an admission fee to the pier if his takings are affected...

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-owner-could-charge-12116244

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #437 on: November 02, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »
I think it's ghastly but suspect others will be right, a not-so-ghastly application will emerge or these plans will be radically toned down.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #438 on: November 02, 2016, 04:40:45 pm »
That the same Alan Waldron who was behind the awful souless boring and uninspiring Deganwy Quay development is behind this development is heartsinkingly depressing. It must have taken a lot of thought and imagination to make a development with staggeringly beautiful views opposite a World Heritage site into a concrete box where not even NASA could find any atmosphere. It doesn't bode well.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #439 on: November 02, 2016, 04:44:21 pm »
It also looks like the 'Camera Obscura'  will be 'ehh' Obscured ? _))*
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #440 on: November 02, 2016, 05:05:31 pm »
The Pier Owner is unhappy about the Pavilion scheme, says he may have to charge an admission fee to the pier if his takings are affected...

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-owner-could-charge-12116244

If the payment booths go back to their original position before the arcade wouldn't that mean that the residents and any potential shoppers visiting the new monstrosity would have to pay to get in, unless they have a back entrance?

I note we also haven't been given a rear view of this carbuncle but going by the height everything behind will be left in darkness. Also it looks like all the side windows of the Grand will be blocked as well.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #441 on: November 02, 2016, 05:20:07 pm »
The rear view, and all views, are available to see in Llandudno library.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline BMD

« Reply #442 on: November 03, 2016, 09:59:09 am »
Truly awful. One of the most architecturally insensitive designs I've ever seen, which is saying something. If the final building looks anything like that, I'll regard it as a crime. I've not followed the progress of this very much, but I hope there's public uproar.

Offline Dave

« Reply #443 on: November 03, 2016, 06:25:31 pm »
I agree with all the negatives, a monstrosity!
If there is a need to sell 54 flats what is the development cost I wonder? I would have thought that they will be seeking to sell them at a similar price as those that were recently completed at Rhos Point and they were selling for around £350K. Personally I wouldn't want to live above the pier with the associated noise that goes on down below at any price never mind that sort of money.
Mind you I had a peep at the Berkeley Group link above and at nearly £2m you only get tiny bedrooms in a 3 bedroom apartment and only one ensuite.
Aren't we lucky to live in Llandudno!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #444 on: November 03, 2016, 09:19:23 pm »
Mc Carthy and Stone seem to command some pretty high prices for their development on Gloddaeth when you compare them to others in the area. Especially as on some nights it gets like a race track on there. !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #445 on: November 04, 2016, 09:24:42 am »

All of this and much, much, more is very well known to Mr. Waldron and his architects, so I can only conclude he  is a chancer and along with his cronies will need to be scrutinised very closely.

Yes the Pavilion Site is an eyesore and does need to be redeveloped but not at any price. It must meet the needs of the many and not be just for the affordability of the few.    &shake&

That's very interesting Blongb and quite relevant but I don't suppose the CCBC will ask to see any proof that the potential developers have the required finance in place to develop the site.    Neither I expect will the CCBC  look into the credibility of the people involved just in case there is any pattern to  failed companies.
As for the CCBC they are obliged to consider affordable property when applications for a large development is made and this should be no exception.
What made me smile though was that one of the interested parties claims want all things "Victorian" but as you can see from the proposed building it  appears to be only when it suits them

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #446 on: November 04, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »
Affordable or social housing?  - all very laudable and desirable.

But in a prestigious sea front location?  Forget about it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #447 on: November 04, 2016, 10:49:09 pm »
Affordable or social housing?  - all very laudable and desirable.

But in a prestigious sea front location?  Forget about it.

I'll agree that the property should be of a high standard to justify the prestigious sea front location but there should still be a mixture of  1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments within the complex and as I haven't looked at the plans I don't know whether that has been done.
I don't know if affordable housing was a condition of the Deganwy Quay development that Mr Waldron was involved in but I do know that it was a condition in the Conwy Marina development.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #448 on: November 05, 2016, 03:56:02 pm »
The Conwy County Borough Council Land Delivery Plan states, to ensure the borough is fully equipped to deliver affordable housing through the planning system, the LDP affordable housing policy seeks provision by various percentages according to the housing market area and Llandudno is 35% of the dwellings on site. It isn't a case of just saying you don't want to supply them, if you want planning permission you have to. In exceptional circumstances the Council may accept off-site provision were the developer provides the affordable housing on another less desirable site, as it would be cheaper for them.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #449 on: November 06, 2016, 08:25:13 am »
Thanks Meleri for confirming the policy of the CCBC's     Land Delivery Plans.    I was aware of them a few years ago when I spoke to the Planning Officer but wasn't sure if they had been altered or not since then.        $good$