Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380307 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #375 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:52 pm »
Anyway, I wouldn't be averse to seeing some of the struggling hotels converted into good quality apartments - they are probably struggling because of lack of investment over the years and are those the sort of hotels we want representing the town? Fewer, but higher quality, hotels is the way forward in my book.

On North Parade every Hotel has had massive investment from their owners and are just the sort of Hotels, Guests want to stay in. You only have to look at their Tripadvisor ratings to see the truth in what I say.

What is killing the Businesses is lack of Parking and the Councils steadfast refusal to do anything about it. I talked to an ex submariner only yesterday who had come to Llandudno to try and select a Hotel for a 50th anniversary he's trying to organise for his old shipmates next year. His conclusion he loved the town but found the Parking situation ridiculous and has decided to look elsewhere.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when Prince Edward Square and Happy Valley were redeveloped we lost over 150 Parking Places between Hobsons Corner and the Toll Gate, do you not think that caused a catastrophic knock on effect to the local Hotels? Between that, the age of the owners, ill health and a myriad of other niggles they would be delighted to close their Hotels and convert into Flats
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #376 on: April 27, 2016, 04:26:55 pm »
Parking in Llandudno is the millstone around the town's neck.

It should be treated as an absolute priority and is in no-way aided by overzealous parking wardens blistering any car which flouts the draconian laws.

Sadly very little progress appears to be on the horizon.

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2016, 09:29:19 pm »
Parking in Llandudno is the millstone around the town's neck.

It should be treated as an absolute priority and is in no-way aided by overzealous parking wardens blistering any car which flouts the draconian laws.

Sadly very little progress appears to be on the horizon.

Have you ever been to a seaside town where there actually IS enough parking? No, neither have I.

Have you ever been to a seaside town where the parking laws were not enforced? I have. Absolute and complete and utter mayhem. Gridlock, frayed tempers, even violence. Take your choice.

P.S. It was Aberystwyth.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: April 28, 2016, 07:55:51 am »
Indeed. Many drivers seem to be unable to comprehend simple facts regarding parking (and a depressingly high number appear to be incompetent) but I don't agree the parking regulations are 'draconian'. Yes - Llandudno badly needs more parking but there are solutions to the issue.  Sadly, these all involve money and people seem unwilling to pay.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #380 on: April 28, 2016, 10:39:24 am »
It was chaos in Aberystwyth and they really were glad that the Traffic Wardens were back

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwqI676K_MAhXqB8AKHeLHDRIQFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-wales-13712977&usg=AFQjCNEBjAxaSM0Z-CwXRlrL3aHF24isAQ

The only time that we have been to Aberystwyth we trailed round for ages and not finding anywhere at all to park, gave it up and went to the bird sanctuary 9 miles away. Much more peaceful !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:23 am »
I see the parking charges on the Prom are going up to £3 from the 1st May. Should residents of Llandudno be given a Free Parking Pass with the hefty Council Tax bill, I wonder?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #382 on: April 29, 2016, 03:04:48 pm »
I see the parking charges on the Prom are going up to £3 from the 1st May. Should residents of Llandudno be given a Free Parking Pass with the hefty Council Tax bill, I wonder?
Yes Dave, and this really belongs under either the obstacles to tourism thread, or the CCBC cuts thread.... because it's all part of CCBC's response to having to face less funding, not by cutting any of their bloated management levels, but by fleecing the visitors yet again.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #383 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:24 am »
What is killing the Businesses is lack of Parking and the Councils steadfast refusal to do anything about it.
Surely the underground car park proposed for the Pavilion development is a good thing then?  8)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #384 on: May 04, 2016, 11:59:42 am »
I had my first close look at the site over the weekend and came away confused, this is a complicated project, what is the actual footprint ? the obvious oblong area is easy to see, but who owns the area behind the amusements ?
Access is going to be fun....

" Surely the underground car park proposed for the Pavilion development is a good thing then?"
The site was not as big as I thought it would be, and allowing for the usual forest of cement foundation pillars in underground car parks, I wonder what the capacity would be ?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #385 on: May 04, 2016, 02:12:53 pm »
Judging by the dreadful smell coming out of there as I walked past this morning.....something needs to be done...and quickly. $fan$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #386 on: May 05, 2016, 12:04:49 am »
I had my first close look at the site over the weekend and came away confused, this is a complicated project, what is the actual footprint ? the obvious oblong area is easy to see, but who owns the area behind the amusements ?  Access is going to be fun....

As far as I'm aware that piece of land forms part of the Pavilion, with the Pier having the right of access to get to the back of the Arcade and around to their Fire access doors.   
(From Land Registry Title Sheet WA 689253)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #387 on: May 05, 2016, 11:08:42 am »
I've also got a copy of the Land Registry Title Sheet WA 689253 and it looks complicated.    The land is freehold and will now be owned by the Nixons.   The entrance to the Pier Pavilion though was from the Pier and there may be some right of access to the site from the Pier.
As for the underground car park the only access would appear to be that entry that led to Tucson's Amusements but cars would have to cross the Promenade at that point.
It's been 20 years as an eyesore and with all those parties involved it may be a few years longer before things start to progress.   In the meantime that stench etc could be considered an environmental hazard which should be sorted out at the expense of the freeholder

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:47 am »
Tom Davidson.
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?         
« Reply #7158 on: Today at 06:54:12 AM »
Pier pavilion site news.

Don't like the sound of this..sounds as if we are being set up for something we will not like.        &shake&

“When we started looking at this project we first looked at re-creating what was there and then moved to a blend of old and new, but the feedback was that this looked like a ‘mix and match’ and didn’t work.

“The modern approach was supported and this is what we have now tasked the architects with.
“I want this to stand out. I could have been bolder but you have to work within constraints.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/modern-building-replace-llandudnos-pier-11728007

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2016, 10:43:22 am »
I am reliable told the plans drawn up ages ago where a cruse liner lookalike with tiered decks and veranda, and all this: old and new: is smoke and screens