Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380123 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:03 pm »
I remember the guy that was the last Caretaker at the Pavilion telling me that the basement flooded regularly back then and had to be pumped out.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2016, 02:20:31 pm »
Are they still clearing ?

No Steve, that's it, all finished and wrapped up and we are left to enjoy the aftermath of their labours.

It also truly shows how much CCBC holds Llandudno in contempt, because they will not use their statutory powers under the Town and Country Planning Act to force the Owners of the site to keep it clean and tidy at no expense to the Rate Payers.

If he refuses to pay he can be fined on a daily basis until he owes more than the site is worth and an attachment can be put on the property to prevent it being sold until the outstanding debt is paid. The legislation is there all that's needed is the political will to use it.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2016, 02:41:42 pm »
I wonder if their reluctance to do anything whatsoever is mere incompetence or something more?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2016, 02:44:14 pm »
Does anyone know who actually paid for this "clean up?"

Offline mull

« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
Is there a "smell" around this ?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2016, 07:12:18 pm »

Whilst the so called "clean up" was in full swing, Edward Hiller, the managing director of Mostyn Estates, turned up with his side kick, to watch what was going on. My OH asked him if Mostyn's had bought the site and he said not at the moment. ( I think they paid for the "clearing" of the site so a development feasibility survey could be carried out).
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »

Whilst the so called "clean up" was in full swing, Edward Hiller, the managing director of Mostyn Estates, turned up with his side kick, to watch what was going on. My OH asked him if Mostyn's had bought the site and he said not at the moment. ( I think they paid for the "clearing" of the site so a development feasibility survey could be carried out).

Thanks very much for that info Blongb and it does make some sense from the business point of view.    Mostyn Estates must have been in contact with the new owners though, as they must have had permission to enter the site and carry out the work that has been done.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2016, 09:00:48 pm »
Well I hope the weather doesn't get too warm as their will be one stink coming from there ,cleaned it up they have made it look worse .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:23 pm »
Well I hope the weather doesn't get too warm as their will be one stink coming from there ,cleaned it up they have made it look worse .

There might be more than one stink coming from there Norman.   

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2016, 12:41:03 am »
Look, no matter who is looking to develop the site, Mr Nixon etc, it makes absolute sense for Mostyn Estates to be involved.
If you don't keep THEM onside, then nothing at all will get done.
I for one, welcome the start of any potential 'joint venture'
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »
A POTENTIAL ‘golden opportunity’ could be on the way for the site of Llandudno's Pier Pavilion.

In a statement released on Tuesday, April 12, developer Alan Waldron - whose earlier projects have included a scheme for the derelict Deganwy dock, including the prestigious Quay Hotel - announced that he had secured and intended to redevelop the pavilion site, which has remained uncleared and has been regarded as an eyesore since being destroyed by a fire in 1994.

Mr Waldron said: “I intend to redevelop the site to the highest standard with a combination of underground car parking, commercial floor-space and residential units.

"To that end, early liaison is taking place with Conwy Council and Mostyn Estates on the concepts of design and I am working closely with the owners of the pier on matters of joint interest.

"Progress will also involve CADW in respect of Listed Building interests and the Design Commission. “

But after speaking with Mr Waldron, who intends to complete the planning application process within the next 12 months, Llandudno Pier owner Adam Williams said he has concerns about the wider impact of the plans.

He said: "We've had a conversation. I'm failing to see what benefit there is on offer for Llandudno Pier.

"In fact I feel that whatever goes on that site, if it doesn't involve Llandudno pier it will be detrimental to the pier mainly for financial reasons.

"If we have to share the commercial pound and the pier doesn't get its full pound, or the concessions that are on the pier decide to move to the pier pavilion site the pier will lose income.

"Therefore there will be less funds for the refurbishment and upkeep - I have a concern that if the funds become so low the business would not be viable.

"Then we end up with a situation similar to Colwyn Bay Pier, which should never happen.

"It deters me from investing more if someone else is going to reap the pier's rewards."

Councillor Graham Rees, Conwy’s cabinet member for tourism, marketing and leisure, said: “The Pier Pavilion site has been an eyesore for decades and many people will be eager to hear about proposals to develop the site.

“This exciting proposal is another demonstration of confidence of people willing to invest in Llandudno; with the potential to be a major contribution to economic investment in the town.

“This is a golden opportunity for a quality redevelopment at a key tourism site and I wish Mr Waldron and his team every success in their endeavour.”

Cllr Frank Bradfield, Mayor of Llandudno, said: "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something that visitors and residents would delight in. It has been abandoned for far too long."

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #341 on: April 13, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »
Nice to hear, well done Bri.

Lets hope that the issues of concern for Adam Williams can be addressed.

Tom, you missed that one......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #342 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:55 pm »
Obviously at the moment Adam Williams has units blocking the front of the pier pavillion,im not sure where he standsif all those have to move,i can see his worry but god i hope he does;nt put a spanner in the works

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #343 on: April 13, 2016, 04:46:42 pm »
Echoing Bosun, very well done Bri.   

I must admit that after spending £4 million, I thought that Adam Williams would have been involved somehow with any project involving this site, and can understand his concerns, however on the bright side the project could bring more footfall to the pier.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #344 on: April 13, 2016, 11:23:47 pm »
Haven't there been similar applications made for planning on this site, but all have been refused by CCBC?     It's not unusual for a developer (Alan Waldron in this case) to make a planning application when the site is owned by someone else  ( Maurice Nixon )  but Mostyn Estates role in this is unclear at present. 
At least Alan Waldron has a proven track record and hopefully this situation may at long last be sorted out.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/160860/developer-unveils-plans-for-llandudno-s-pier-pavillion-site.aspx#.Vw7Dbx1QGJc.email