Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 379802 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Biggest Eyesore....the Pier Pavilion site
« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2016, 08:23:09 am »
It appears that only because Mostyn estates have decided they have a vision for the site that thinks are being done,CCBC have deliberately used this ownership issue to ignore the problem.Anytime there is an issue with the station wasteland Mr Done is made to clear the site or put up fences,pier pavillion site has always been an ownership issue which they rekon they could never find the true owners.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2016, 11:28:56 am »
According to an extract I have of the site David Taylor of 11 Castle Street Worcester  WR1 3AD   was the registered owner as at 24th April 2007.
  I have no idea whether that ownership changed hands after 2007 and before the sale last year.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2016, 10:39:34 pm »
I looked into the Pavilion hole this evening and it's filling up with water. It's not from seawater because the tide level was way below the bottom of the pit and it wasn't from rain water either so it's going to be very interesting to see how it develops.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline mull

« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2016, 08:28:44 am »
There used to be a swimming pool down there. perhars they have uncovered it !   ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2016, 10:00:12 am »
I seem to recall that there's a connection into the Great Orme Mines system from somewhere along the Pavilion's back wall, so water may be entering the site from there? When I explored the Pavilion back in 1990*, I found a void between the back wall of the building and the cliff face behind, that was ankle deep in what I thought at the time was sea water.

* http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3480.0.html

Offline Hugo

« Reply #320 on: April 11, 2016, 03:09:18 pm »
According to CCBC  they have no idea when work will commence on the former Penmorfa Hotel site on the West Shore.   The whole history of the planning application on that site seems strange.
The first application  for change of use of hotel and extension to form 24 (twenty four) residential apartments and formation of a car parking. was refused 9th March 2005.  The second  application was also refused but then granted on appeal

Then in December 2006 another application for a change of use of hotel, part demolition and erection of extensions to form 25
(twenty five) residential apartments and formation of car park (revised scheme) was granted.

Anwyl Construction then straight away demolished the side extensions of the property but the central structure appeared to be unsecured.

In January 2008 another application was made to demolish the main house and increase the number of apartments to 28 and that was granted

A Certificate of lawfulness was granted on 19th August 2013 for the laying of an underground pipe.  However the laying of the underground pipe did not qualify as a commencement of the approved development because the pipe did not reach the foundations of the building, or a trench to contain the foundations of the building.   The pipe was laid in May 2011.

Obviously the Certificate was granted retrospectively but it appears that there is no rush to develop this prime site and I can see it continuing on the list of eyesores for some time to come.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2016, 03:54:00 pm »
If the site is left derelict for a number of years and then redeveloped, Anwyl can legally avoid paying the tax that would otherwise be due.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2016, 07:42:45 pm »
If the site is left derelict for a number of years and then redeveloped, Anwyl can legally avoid paying the tax that would otherwise be due.

Are you refering to the Brownfield tax reliefs?      Relief only applies if the land was in a derelict state when the company purchased it, and it must have been in a derelict state continuously since 1 April 1998;
If it is then perhaps Anwyl Construction may not be entitled to it, but judging from the way they have manipulated the planning application I would imagine they have contingency plans ready.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #323 on: April 12, 2016, 10:55:04 am »
This morning ! The water seems to have an oily look to it..........and the smell isn't good either !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #324 on: April 12, 2016, 11:05:47 am »
Mostyn Estates have paid for a Mechanical Digger which is clearing the Pier Pavilion Site today, so they can carry out a survey tomorrow which will enable them to check the feasibility of the site for redevelopment, although they don't own the site at the moment.
Are they still clearing ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: April 12, 2016, 11:08:45 am »
Don't think I've ever seen it flooded like that before - I wonder if the digger they used has ruptured a pipe?

Looks like we can look forward to a reopening of the Pavilion's basement swimming pool - over a hundred years after it first closed....

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:09 am »
No, no one there, looks like an open cast mining site without the coal !

Dave, let me know when you are going for your swim and I will book you some typhoid jabs ! :o

In short..it looks worse than before .

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #327 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:19 am »
Don't think I've ever seen it flooded like that before - I wonder if the digger they used has ruptured a pipe?

Looks like we can look forward to a reopening of the Pavilion's basement swimming pool - over a hundred years after it first closed....

Or maybe blocked some drainage outlets? I didn't realise all the 'clearing' meant was shoving piles of muck from one corner to the other!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #328 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:16 am »
Don't think clearing is the correct word, as you say, shoving smelly muck around !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #329 on: April 12, 2016, 12:03:10 pm »

Dave, don't underestimate the level of rainfall these last few nights, it will collect down there like a bowl I reckon.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -