Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 379892 times)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #1080 on: July 12, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »
From the Llandudno Pier thread:

Good news!
I’ve been told today that the green light has been given to get the extensive repairs done to the pier near the Happy Valley gates.
It will begin quite soon, but it will mean quite serious disruption throughout the summer season, for approximately four months.
Access is likely to be quite severely restricted because it’s a major job to pull up a large stretch of decking, then the beams underneath, and then replace the steel girders underneath that.
It also involves taking the side railings off the pier.
However, you can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs, so let’s be thankful it’s getting done!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1081 on: July 13, 2019, 06:02:12 pm »
Sadly Ormemac, things came off the rails again since then, as they frequently do.

Nothing is set in stone in terms of fixing the pier beneath those gates, apparently the owner stalled the process once again.
However, I am aware that he is under relentless pressure from the Fire service to get those gates open.
If he doesn’t act soon, then they will work with the H and S executive, to severely restrict footfall onto the pier.   It’s in his interests to get it done!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1082 on: October 23, 2019, 03:54:45 pm »
I have had a look on the Planning Application portal for the Affordable Housing Pro Forma and no luck. I then had a look to see if there was any mention of it in the Design & Access Statement and have been surprised as to what it has turned up, it states:-
' On-site provision of Affordable Housing is incompatible with the market type and context of the apartments being provided. The application is for the re-development of a brown field site with a significant acquisition cost, requires a high standard of design/materials, is difficult/expensive to develop and has scale/massing and servicing constraints. These influences impact upon the propensity to provide affordable housing. Any liability to make a commuted sum payment is affected by the above when modelled against expected returns. Provisional data and dialogue indicated limited potential for commuted sum payment and a confidential affordable housing Pro Forma is submitted with the planning application with a supporting (independent) costing evaluation'.
Hugo, it looks as if you won't get your answer as the AH Pro Forma is CONFIDENTIAL for some reason and from what else has been stated it is highly unlikely any affordable housing commuted sum will be payable. :(

It is mentioned again in another area of the application and states:- 'A confidential Viability Assessment Pro Forma is submitted with the application. The results indicate that the scheme is unlikely to fall eligible for AH payment. Focus has been upon securing the redevelopment of a problematic brownfield site in a sensitive area.'

Meleri, as some time has passed since your posting, I decided to apply to CCBC under the FOI  Act to see what if any offer of payment was made by the developer in lieu of not building affordable housing on the two sites and below is my request followed by the reply from CCBC:-

The Reserve Llanrwst Road Glan Conwy
Planning numbers  0/43872,  0/41914,  0/36510
ALSO
The former Pier Pavillion  Llandudno
Planning numbers 0/46393,  0/46392,  0/46208,  0/46206

Dear Sir or Madam,
I would appreciate it if you could advise me in the above two cases how much money was requested from or offered by these two developments in lieu of not building affordable housing on these two sites.
The Reserve has been completed so that information will be available, the former Pier Pavillion site is ongoing but the amount requested or offered will also be on record

Yours faithfully

The reply I received today is:-

Dear Sir
Please find below information in response to your Freedom of Information request.

We can confirm neither of the developments detailed in your FOI accommodated on-site affordable housing nor a financial contribution.  This was the result of a viability assessment as agreed by the Planning Committee.

I don't know what you think of this but in my humble opinion it stinks.      The CCBC should be investigated by the Welsh Assembly, if not for the Pavilion site then for the Reserve site

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1083 on: October 23, 2019, 07:26:13 pm »
Hugo  Did you think you would get positive reply to your enquiry , if you read Ian & Melerie recent research into CCBCs officers and councillors ,  its pretty obvious they are out of their depth and until something is done to rectify the situation nothing is going to change . as for the obnoxious smell near the new Lidl site  its been like than for years , but don't worry they are going to build approx. 200 new houses to add to the problem now that's good planning and more smell . 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1084 on: October 23, 2019, 10:22:23 pm »
It's just what I expected Robbie and I wonder on what scale this practise is going on.    If  ensuring that affordable homes are part of the CCBC policy then they should get to grips with these developers.
I wonder if the Castle Hotel and the old Llandudno Youth Centre have got away with it, after all the freehold is owned by Mostyn Estates

I don't think much of that idea with the 200 new homes being built because everything finds its own level.  If the smell gets any worse then I'll be drinking the beer wearing a gas mask

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1085 on: October 23, 2019, 10:42:47 pm »
Hugo it will be very interesting to see what happens on the old Bryant& Hocknell site, supposed to be Affordable housing, will locals have a chance.

Offline CMG

« Reply #1086 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:08 pm »
Mostyn Estates have put up metal bollards across the grass verge right in front of the site entrance. No vehicles (diggers etc) or machinery and materials can no pow get in and out of the site. They denied, or made it so expensive that he couldn’t afford it,  Waldron access over their strip of land. 
 *punch*

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #1087 on: December 13, 2019, 05:21:55 am »
Mostyn Estates have put up metal bollards across the grass verge right in front of the site entrance. No vehicles (diggers etc) or machinery and materials can no pow get in and out of the site. They denied, or made it so expensive that he couldn’t afford it,  Waldron access over their strip of land. 
 *punch*

Oh dear, has Alan finally bitten off more than he can chew?   ;D

You'd have thought he would have secured access to his own site. What a cowboy.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1088 on: December 13, 2019, 04:19:40 pm »
Mostyn Estates have put up metal bollards across the grass verge right in front of the site entrance. No vehicles (diggers etc) or machinery and materials can no pow get in and out of the site.

Are you sure the bollards have not been put there simply to stop vehicles parking on the grass verge?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1089 on: December 13, 2019, 06:09:39 pm »
Are you sure the bollards have not been put there simply to stop vehicles parking on the grass verge?

I don't think so Bri, as that was not the usual place where cars parked It was normally on the pier side of the gate. I don't think Mostyn's would have put the Bollards there, as all other measures have been installed by CCBC
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1090 on: December 13, 2019, 06:14:20 pm »
I wonder why Mostyn Estates did that in the first place, it's a mystery as to the reason why?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1091 on: December 13, 2019, 07:18:58 pm »
I agree, Hugo.

The same question could be asked as to why cameras were being fitted a couple of months ago onto the roof of the Golden Goose?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1092 on: December 13, 2019, 08:46:26 pm »
We were walking the dog to the happy valley, when we walked back down seen a low back wagon parked on the pavement 4/5 guys they were just starting to bore holes for the bollards right outside the gate, so Mostyn est not happy with him 🤔 hasn’t he been able to find the money, that was about 5-30 ish, I also noticed how flooded it was.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1093 on: December 14, 2019, 12:31:59 pm »
I went past there earlier today and saw the bollards which can only have been positioned as an obstruction to the entrance to the site. There were some workers there today and a JCB  appeared to be demolishing part of a concrete floor.
Why the bollards have been played there remains a mystery but there must be a reason as Mostyn Estates will not part with a single penny unless it has to.
The strange thing is that CCBC own the lease on that bit of land although Mostyn Estates own the freehold.   I wonder if the CCBC is aware of what is going on

Offline CMG

« Reply #1094 on: December 14, 2019, 01:11:47 pm »
I agree, Hugo.

The same question could be asked as to why cameras were being fitted a couple of months ago onto the roof of the Golden Goose?

The cameras have been there for over 2 years. The pier owner put them up soon after Waldron took the option on the land because Waldron had the boundary wrong on his plans. So Adam put up his boundary fencing and at the same time installed the cameras. Presumably to keep an eye on what was going on on the site?