Author Topic: Renwable energy in the area  (Read 15305 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Renwable energy in the area
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:36:24 pm »
I see that finally, work is about to begin on the next 160 wind turbines, so close to our beautiful bay.
Two years for completion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16676555

I was hoping they had just forgotten about it, and gone away!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:13:26 pm by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blodyn

Re: Wind farm developments locally.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:16:47 pm »
I was hoping they had just forgotten about it, and gone away!

No such luck, Fester.   :(

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:30:34 pm »
sad to think they will just be something that the children of today will take for granted as things that have always been there

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:24:57 am »
I have no problem with the wind farms on a cosmetic front.
As a kid, I grew up with the 'eyesore' of electricity pylons, and just saw then as normal.
Kids today will do the same with the turbines.

My issue is that as a energy producing item, they are incredibly inefficient.
They quite often run at 5-10% capacity over an entire year and cost more in government subsides to run, than they produce in power to sell.
It can take decades to also claw back the initial construction costs.

I know the whole idea is to 'save the earth', but I don't think wind turbines are the answer.
If they were, why did we abandon windmills?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:06 am »
Hey, Major Mellons, long time no see!

I agree. There is way too much doubt over the efficiency of wind turbines, versus the colossal investment required.
Until the facts are established via a proper enquiry, then why spend the money, (or blight the bay as I would argue)

Especially because all the profit associated with the construction is going overseas!  To Germany of all places.
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:10:03 am »
We have to have nuclear power, like it or not!  Whatever system we have people complain about it, yet we all need power. Nuclear fusion is the way, just need to make it work! 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:41:37 am »
Nuclear fusion is the goal, though; and that will make a difference.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:18 am »
Tell us more!  (without using words that I have never heard before).
Fester...

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:51:17 am »
Anyone got a bazooka? ;D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »
Tell us more!  (without using words that I have never heard before).

In a nutshell, current nuclear power stations use nuclear fission which is splitting the atom which releases vast amounts of energy, also of cause radioactive waste. Nuclear fusion is to join hydrogen atoms together which also releases vast amounts of energy but without the radioactive waste, its how stars work, we just have to reproduce a star in miniature in a containment field  :D 
  The JET project in Culham Oxfordshire has been working on this for many years, possibly the most important project for the future of us all!

Sorry that was a rather big nutshell!  :laugh:

http://www.efda.org/fusion/
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »
Doesn't sound so difficult.
Seeing as we have been splitting atoms for over 65 years, fusing a few together shouldn't be a big deal.

Perhaps David Williams welding skills could come into play here?
A containment field?  Well, you could use that spare ground near Bllington's Garage in Conwy, its going begging at the moment.
Creating a miniature star?   Well, little Jimmy Krankie managed it, as did Charlie Drake.   How hard can that be?

No, I think this is dragging on way too long.
Fester...

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:33:29 pm »
i think the Japanese would gladly swap our windfarm for one of their nuclear plants at the moment,there must be a lot of head scratching going on as to their next move.fifty years from now if hydrogen power stations are the norm it will not be a big deal to lift these towers out of the sea and return our view.

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 05:10:16 pm »
The Japanese are not fools. They will move on to more efficient nuclear power stations,dont forget they have many years experience of running on nuclear electricity.
It is only in the UK were we the consumers will be paying for the windmills for years to come. Just to satisfy our politicians ego trip.
What is going on is not saving the planet, in fact in the long run it is just the opposite, and a few people are getting rich at our expense.
Just watch your electric bills over the next few years go up and up to pay for this.

The sooner politicians face reality and go for nuclear the better instead of being taken for a ride.

$angry$ $angry$ $angry$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 05:11:05 pm »
Anyone got a bazooka? ;D

Fester sells bath bombs, will that do?  _))*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 05:39:34 pm »
Nuclear fusion is to join hydrogen atoms together which also releases vast amounts of energy but without the radioactive waste

What fusion does is to attempt to create temperatures in excess of 10 000 000 C, at which point four Deuterium (one of the two stable isotopes of Hydrogen) atoms should fuse together to make one atom of Helium, the difference in mass being released as pure energy. The problems, aside from the high temperature acquirements, are that this process normally only occurs under intense gravitational pressure, such as that found in the centre of a star, and which they think can be duplicated either through intense electromagnetic fields or possibly pulse laser effects.

The trick is to get the reaction to become self-sustaining, which hasn't yet been achieved, but in the long run all it will do is produce heat which will boil water to make steam to turn turbines, so we can have the lights on.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.