Author Topic: Privacy, Spamming and viruses  (Read 88114 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Privacy, Spamming and viruses
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »
That's why using Internet Explorer is never a good idea. Firefox & NoScript would have blocked it.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »
You have advised me of Firefox a few times before and I should have listened then!     :-[
I'll see what the PC Doc says when he comes to see me next week.  I'm hoping that I've clicked on something in error and that it can be retrieved but I'm not banking on it.     :(

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 06:33:57 pm »
They will probably be on your HDD somewhere.

Amuse yourself with this DIY Video:    :rage:

Hard Drive Recovery
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 08:39:49 am »
Internet Explorer is unique, in that it ignores just about all the conventions and protocols of the WWW community.  FF, Chrome and Safari are much better in just about every way.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 11:18:19 am »
I have moved almost entirely over to Chrome.   I find it very friendly, quick, and so far have not had any glitches or problems even when I have as many as six pages in use at the same time, and constantly switching from one to the other.   Can't seem to get on with Safari and rarely use FF.

;)
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03:40 pm »
I know very little of viruses. However last week I had a rude awakening. I had an increasing number of emails from virtually all my twitter followers telling me I had been hacked. As always our own dear DaveR was amongst the early ones. Anyway TinyURL stepped in and more or less shut the whole account down whilst I deleted all my apps, which I was told by several was where the problem was. I'm not too sure who or what Tiny is.
 However what I cannot understand that a large number of the messages through twitter were, ostensibly, from businesses around here, guesthouses etc, all my followers. They all wrote, virtually word for word "Ho Ho Ho didn't we have a good laugh when we saw those photos of you" and a link.
 I managed to refrain from clicking the link.
 The thing is, does anyone know how or why all these business people from Llandudno to Betws y Coed etc  are writing virtually the same thing?
  As yet I haven't plucked up the courage to phone any of them up to ask What the hell is on this photo.  mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 01:11:00 pm »
Mike, it isn't a photo, that link contains the Twitter virus.

Every time someone clicks on that link, they become infected with the virus (in the form of an App in the Twitter account) and then they will start sending out similar messages to all their friends.

It just goes on and on...until people realise not to click on links in weird Twitter messages!  &shake&

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 09:24:11 pm »
Well I sort of guessed something like that but ----- these more or less identical messages addressed to me on Twitter, they all appeared to be sent by regular local firms that happen to follow me, all people that would never mess around hacking anyone. The message you sent was early on, before the flood of messages started. Unfortunately I didnt read it until five or six hours after you had sent it.
    Makes me think is Twitter worth the bother.  Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 09:39:39 pm »
I'm convinced that Twitter is for silly billies.   They do say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, and that is what most Twitterers seem to do.  I had a look at it when it started but didn't see any sense in signing up.   

Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:45:57 pm »
I opened a Twitter account last year... messed about with it for a week or so... then abandoned it as a complete waste of time.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »
As with most things in life, you get out of something what you put in to it.

I've found Twitter invaluable for both making contacts (local journalists etc) and as a source for instant local news (the shipwreck at Llanddulas).  $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 08:41:43 am »
I'm convinced that Twitter is for silly billies.   They do say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness, and that is what most Twitterers seem to do.  I had a look at it when it started but didn't see any sense in signing up.   

Did I really say "silly billies" ?    _))*   L0L   _))*   L0L   _))*   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:14 am »
Yes! Twice now!   :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 11:19:44 am »
Yes! Twice now!   :laugh:

It certainly ain't what I typed!   The last person I would wish to imitate would be Dennis "eyebrows" Healey!! L0L
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »
Internet Explorer is unique, in that it ignores just about all the conventions and protocols of the WWW community.  FF, Chrome and Safari are much better in just about every way.

I have been a good girl and taken note of Ian's advice and downloaded Firefox to replace the Internet Explorer I was using. I'm not really sure exactly what they do but I would just like to ask if it is okay now to uninstall all the items related to Internet Explorer?