Author Topic: Old Photos of Conwy  (Read 95734 times)

Offline Paulakelsall

Re: Old Photos of Conwy
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:33 pm »
Regarding the photo (posted Sept  10) of the two boats on the Quay, my dad believes they could be the "Penorva" (wooden vessel) owned by Jack Williams (jack Nick) & "Glenmoore" (dark blue boat) which belonged to the Barr brothers.

Offline kgem

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »
I found a good collection of old photos of conwy and llandudno on this website.

http://www.peoplescollectionwales.co.uk

Offline BilkoBailey

• Lived in Conwy Morfa, Bryn Celyn & Craig-y-Don.
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:44 pm »
Conwy's Civic Hall ablaze sometime in the 1960s - does anyone have a date for this yet?
[smg id=491]
The Theatres Trust web site has it listed as in continuous use until 1966 when it was rebuilt after the fire.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2012, 02:29:44 pm »
Miss Barlleg's school Conwy in 1885 - but where was it located?

[smg id=637]
I took some photos a while back round the back of The Mansion in Conwy high Street and the background houses look very familiar to the ones located there.  I'll have to upload the pics to confirm.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2012, 04:25:03 pm »
These are the little houses I was talking about.......maybe they were the servants quarters at some time?  The little door made me think that it was maybe where the school was in the above the post.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2012, 09:15:38 pm »
Conwy Honey Fair, September 15th, 1960. Photo by Geoff Charles.

Ffair Fel Conwy by LlGC ~ NLW, on Flickr

Offline BilkoBailey

Re: Old Photos of Conwy (Reply #57 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:48 AM)
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:26 pm »
Thanks for these lovely photos.  As a young boy brought up on the Morfa, I recognise many features in these pics, Including Beach House, my grandparent's house, and The Beacons - in whose ruins I used to play.  However, whilst the first photo is certainly one of many Army camps of that era - it is most definitely NOT Conwy Morfa.  A cursory examination of the adjacent river & skyline will confirm this (by those familiar with the area - or by comparison to the other photos which are "The Morfa" camp). :o

Offline BrianP

« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2014, 08:42:43 pm »
Hello BilkoBailey,
You are correct, The first postcard in the group of tented camps on the Morfa is at Deganwy. You can see the main channel of the river at low tide, on the left. And because it looks out over towards Anglesey, no high ground over the horizon.
Brian

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:40 pm »
This picture was in Chrissy's Kitchen in Conwy.  She said she had received it from a friend a few years ago.  I asked if I could copy it and in return I reframed it.  I've never seen this picture before and so I asked the locals in the Legion.  They were divided between Rosemary Lane which runs up between the Railway station and the HSB Bank (was) and the where the Harbour Office is situated now.  Personally because you can see the turret in the background and it matches up with the view now, it's unmistakably where the Harbour office is.  It looks like it too used to be a pub but I've yet to find out which one.

Offline BilkoBailey

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2014, 04:28:37 pm »
Would that be "The Royal Oak"?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »
No the Royal Oak was on the Quay but the other side near the Smallest House.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2015, 12:45:51 pm »
28 Nostalgic pictures show Conwy through the 20th century
These nostalgic pictures show some of the iconic landmarks and locations of Conwy through the 20th century.

From Conwy Castle to the Conwy tunnel, these places are synonymous with the historic town.

You can see the Conwy Bridge being built in 1958 and sightseers pack the platforms to welcome first train into the re-opened Conwy station.

There are also images of fishermen unloading fishing boats on Conwy Quay in June 1949 and scouts marching through the town during the parade to celebrate the coronation of George V on June 22 1911.

If any of these pictures stir any memories you can get in touch by tweeting @dailypostwales , via our Facebook page or by commenting at the bottom of this article.

If you enjoyed this article you might also like our nostalgic pictures of Caernarfon, Mold, Holyhead, Colwyn Bay, Bangor, Llandudno, Wrexham, Llangollen, Connah's Quay, Prestatyn and Rhyl.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/nostalgic-pictures-show-conwy-through-9753234

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2017, 12:08:14 am »
This picture was in Chrissy's Kitchen in Conwy.  She said she had received it from a friend a few years ago.  I asked if I could copy it and in return I reframed it.  I've never seen this picture before and so I asked the locals in the Legion.  They were divided between Rosemary Lane which runs up between the Railway station and the HSB Bank (was) and the where the Harbour Office is situated now.  Personally because you can see the turret in the background and it matches up with the view now, it's unmistakably where the Harbour office is.  It looks like it too used to be a pub but I've yet to find out which one.

Whilst researching "Rodyn" the birth place of a relation in Conwy (Owen Owens b1817-d1899), I came across the following information and wondered if one of the properties in the photo could indeed be Rodyn?

CONWY QUAY
ARCHAEOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT
REPORT NO. 273
Prepared for :
CONWY COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL
November, 1997 by Andrew Davidson
Ymddiriedolaeth Archaeoloegol Gwynedd Gwynedd Archaeological Trust

Lifeboat station and former cottages called 'Rodyn'.  A modern building with pebble dashed walls and pitched slate roof which houses the Inshore Rescue Boat. A row of cottages formerly stood on this site, which were taken down in the 1920's. They were called '"Rodyn" after the lime-kiln (ocryn=kiln) which preceded them and which is shown on the 1777 Holland map. The cottages are visible on a number of photographs and on a painting by Warren Williams (information kindly supplied by Mrs Pattison).

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2018, 02:48:26 pm »
Tellytubby sent me this old photo of the queue of traffic that often went from Llandudno Junction to Penmaenmawr and beyond.     I can remember the traffic lights on Conwy Suspension bridge because that was only a single carriageway and then the level crossing  by the old Maelgwyn Pub at Llandudno Junction

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2018, 08:31:47 pm »
Any idea when that photo was taken as the second car (Triumph Dolomite/Toledo) in the queue appears to be J-reg so would be 1971 ... wasn't the bridge open well before then?