Author Topic: Old Photos of Conwy  (Read 95941 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Old Photos of Conwy
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:59 pm »
Sorry DVT but I've no idea when the photo was taken but you are correct about the 2nd car so it must have been taken in the early 1970's I would imagine.
The "new" road bridge was opened in 1958 but my comments and memories go back further than that but it was my father that was driving the car at the time as I was still in primary school then    ;D

Offline Mike

« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2018, 10:16:42 pm »
An interesting photo from the peoples collection showing cottages on the old quay inear where the Conwy Mussels place is today

No mud in those days...

Offline mull

« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2018, 10:53:57 am »
 Ref-- Traffic jam.
Looks early 1970s to me . It was not unusual at that time for large lorries getting stuck trying to get through the town arches.

Happy days.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2018, 05:43:10 pm »
I worked at Ferranti’S in them days and travelled there daily, it was a nightmare. So in the end bought a motorcycle and worked my way past them, the furthest back was Llanfairfechan as this was long before the A55 we had to travel through all the towns on the way so at it’s in the summer went over the Sychnant pass down to Guffyn and came out by the Castle. 
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2018, 07:19:36 pm »
During the early seventies I worked over in Bangor and I would always have to return home over Sychnant Pass.

At the time, I knew a Conwy Town Councillor very well and suggested to him that they should consider sacrificing the small car park immediately in front of the Castle and replace it with a roundabout.

Needless to say, the rest is history.  ;)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2021, 10:28:41 am »
Where we lived: Old photos of North Wales from the archive

Photos of Conwy and Llandudno and others....

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/lived-old-photos-north-wales-19834662

first photo Conwy castle 1938 second 1959