Author Topic: Book on Llandudno history  (Read 11949 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Book on Llandudno history
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »
Received my copy of IWJ's Queen of Welsh Resorts today and it is brand new and never been read!  A bargain from eBay!  It's a Landmark Updated Second Edition.
 $good$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 03:09:21 pm »
When launched, I was fortunate to have mine signed by Mr Jones in Ottakers.

Offline martin

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »
I do not want to hear anything more about this book, I have had a bad experience.  A few weeks before Christmas I tried everywhere to find a copy, without success, until I saw a couple on Amazon.  One seller had a new first edition at £9 and a further one at something like £78, I ordered the cheap one, next day, got a message from him saying he could not supply me as "he was sold out".  Looked at his site a few days later, he had two on for £78, sod!  It's because they are first editions.  Anyway, I tried another supplier, he he two for sale, and once again, with very similar price differences, both first editions and both new, the same thing happened, order cancelled by the seller the next day.  I was just a bit brassed off.  A few days later I found two on E-Bay, one paperback, the other hardback, and both first editions, so I ordered both and thought that there is bound to be someone on the Three Towns who wants a copy and I will sell it on at the £9 cost.  Both arrived, neither had been read, the hardback had been a reserve library book, and the paperback, a present that had never been opened save for at the pictures pages.  So I was going to sell the paperback on the forum, but of course, no one on here wants a first edition, so from start to finish, it has been a bit of a pain, so as I said at the start, I do not want to hear anything more about this book, or in my case the plural, books. :'(

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 08:04:22 pm »
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »
Or a better use of this Forum could be... to borrow my copy FOR NOWT!   :)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 09:52:39 pm »
I have a copy of both Editions, theres a couple of illustrations in the earlier one that aren't in the revised version.

Offline sam

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 08:00:42 pm »
Is there a thread on the forum giving a list of local history books or would people post in seperate threads regarding the subject, area etc. Just wondering if anyone knew to save me scouring the forum.
Found an interesting read here published in 1861 by Thomas Williams, Chemist:
 http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=i7kHAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=llandudno&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yWqlT5aGJ-H80QWssNTxAw&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=llandudno&f=false

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »
Sam, if you want a book on Llandudno then I would recommend Chris Draper's book "Llandudno before the hotels".    It covers up to about the 1850's and is £9.95.
There isn't a lot about Pant Y Wennol or Penrhynside in it though in case that's what you were after.    Llandudno in those days was a small village situated mainly on the lower slopes of the Great Orme ( where the Tram Station is now)
It's a very interesting book though and very informative.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 11:27:23 pm »
Sam, thanks so much for posting the link to that old book.  It looks fascinating, so I've bookmarked it to study later. 

Offline sam

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 09:55:00 pm »
Thanks Hugo, yes I've heard of the book - think my mum may have a copy I could borrow. Would like to get all Chris Drapers books eventually. Incidentally if anyone didn't see it there was an interview with Chris Draper in the week before lasts NNWN. Gives an insight into what makes the bloke tick. I like his style!

Hope you enjoy the book Blodyn - some interesting info about local flora and fauna which would be good to compare with what we know about today. Found another free e-book from Google: "The Holidays in Llandudno" 1868, not sure of the author - a bit Enid Blyton- esque but I for one will be settling down with a bag of sweeties to read it :P

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YAsCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=holidays+in+llandudno&hl=en&sa=X&ei=e8yuT5q4Beak0AWS-5ifCQ&ved=0CFEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=holidays%20in%20llandudno&f=false

Still hoping to get hold of copies of Kenneth Dibbles local history books...proving elusive so far. He apparently lives locally  - does anyone here know him? If so any chance of asking him if he has any copies for sale...signed would be even better :) One is called I think "Ochr y Penrhyn : Houses and Families." Another is "Ochr y Penrhyn : Historical and social survey" 1999, the other might be called just "Penrhynside". Would be great to get hold of even one of them.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
Sam, the book that would be good for you would be Kenneth Dibble's  "Bodafon and Pant Y Wennol" but it seems to be unavailable.
However I was looking at a posting in Rootschat.com about a Robert Williams of Penrhynside when a reply was received from Morag Wight the Senior Library Assistant at Penrhyn Bay/ Llandudno Libraries.
She talks about the author Kenneth Dibble and said that he had written a few books about Penrhynside and as far as she was aware he was alive and well and living in Penrhyn Bay
Copies of his publications are in Penrhyn Bay Library, they are out of print but Morag believes that you can still get copies from him.  In actual fact Morag said to the person that if they still wished to have a copy then she would attempt to contact him and ask him to send copies out to this person.
If you are still interested in the book then you could try contacting Morag Wight at the Library  Tel  01492 548873

Offline tonyf

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 05:01:12 pm »
Being an old Llandudno boy I have three other books besides Ivor Wynne Jones's on Llandudno. I used to buy the odd book whilst on leave to compensate for home sickness (sad!) when I went back. Anyway they are Llandudno's Story by Michael Senior printed in Llanrwst 1986, Llandudno in Colour by J A Brooks dated 1970. Finally, I picked up The Weekly News Guide to Walks around Colwyn Bay at a car boot, original price 6p, and though it is not dated it must be from the 1930's looking at some of the illustrations and advertisements. It comes complete with a mapshowing Rhos pier intact sheltering the Royal Fishing Weir.    Z**

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 11:41:49 pm »
Found another free e-book from Google: "The Holidays in Llandudno" 1868, not sure of the author - a bit Enid Blyton- esque but I for one will be settling down with a bag of sweeties to read it :P

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YAsCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=holidays+in+llandudno&hl=en&sa=X&ei=e8yuT5q4Beak0AWS-5ifCQ&ved=0CFEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=holidays%20in%20llandudno&f=false

Sam I've got a copy of that book, which I picked up on ebay (there's a copy in Llandudno Museum, too).  It's quite a nice little book and the descriptions of Llandudno and the surrounding areas are fascinating. 

Offline sam

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 10:55:10 pm »
If you are still interested in the book then you could try contacting Morag Wight at the Library  Tel  01492 548873

Will do Hugo  $good$

Some more books for my list ... cheers tonyf

I used to buy the odd book whilst on leave to compensate for home sickness (sad!) when I went back.
....awwww bless :(

The "Holidays in Llandudno" book is now considered historically important - wonder if the author thought that would happen when he/she wrote it  :)

More freebie ebooks relating to North Wales for anyone who's interested:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20096/20096-h/20096-h.htm

The Project Gutenberg eBook,
Title: Welsh Folk-Lore a Collection of the Folk-Tales and Legends of North Wales
Author: Elias Owen

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=c0OqXyWp4EcC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

"British Goblins - Welsh Folklore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions"
Author Wirt Sikes First Published 1880.
Republished 2007 by Forgotton Books.

Offline hollins

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 02:20:50 pm »
Is there a thread on the forum giving a list of local history books or would people post in separate threads regarding the subject, area etc. Just wondering if anyone knew to save me scouring the forum.

Sam,
I don't think there is a list anywhere but my apologies if there is. I have picked up a few books recently from mentions and recommendations from forum members including yourself.
Thank you for the link to Holidays at Llandudno. I read this online from your link and then like Blodyn managed to find a copy to buy. It is so charming. My favourite bit is the donkey ride to the top of the Great Orme.
Anyway thanks again. Here is a photo of some that I have bought.