Author Topic: Book on Llandudno history  (Read 11956 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Book on Llandudno history
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »
I have just finished reading the book, Llandudno, Queen of the Welsh Resorts by Ivor Wynne Roberts.
The tale ends in about 1975. Can anyone recommend a book to me that covers more recent history of the town?
Thanks.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Book on Llandudno history
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:14:57 pm »
Sounds as if you have the early edition.  Landmark produced a much later one - in 2002 - which Ivor revised and up-dated.
One which is often overlooked is Derek Roberts' "Llandudno - A History and Celebration" published by Ottakers in 2004.  Both these are well worth getting if you can find copies.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
Thanks cambrian.
I have just had a look on bookfinder.com
The Ottakers 2004 edition of the Derek Roberts book is much more expensive than the one published by Frith also 2004. Do you know if there is much difference?
You are right. I do have the 1975 edition of the Ivor Wynne Jones book. Looks like I will have to buy another one!
Here is a link to the bookfinder search, if it works.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=EYa,8SKNl77GnU7kP,F5vJ8kGM0_5780712351_2:1:106&bq=author%3Dderek%2520roberts%26title%3Dllandudno%2520a%2520history%2520and%2520celebration%2520of%2520the%2520town

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:02 am »
You can often pick up Llandudno Queen of the Welsh Resorts from one of the cheaper book shops. I got one from the one on Mostyn St. near Ponden Mill for about £4.99 for an American visitor.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline martin

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:25 am »
You can often pick up Llandudno Queen of the Welsh Resorts from one of the cheaper book shops. I got one from the one on Mostyn St. near Ponden Mill for about £4.99 for an American visitor.
I have just had the experience of getting a copy.  I tried on-line via Amazon, just before Christmas there were two sellers offering a new book at less than £10, I clicked to buy one, the next day I received a message they were out of stock, I tried another seller, the same thing happened.  I then noticed they were for sale at over £70.  The book is no longer in print, so these people are cashing in.  Anyway, in the end I got TWO second hand copies, but both are the first editions.  I have one of these to spare, so if anyone wants it, I will sell it on at cost to me of £9.  Because of it's age the pages are slightly yellow, but the book has not been read, the only pages that have been opened are the ones with the photos.  If interested send me a PM.

Offline hollins

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:07:21 am »
Hi Martin, Is it the Landmark 2002 version you are selling?

Offline martin

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:15:27 am »
Hi Martin, Is it the Landmark 2002 version you are selling?
No sorry, it's a first edition October 1975.

Offline hollins

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:19 am »

Thanks Nemesis. It will be worth another fiver to catch up with the latest instalment!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:28:35 am »
Two available today (5 mins ago) from awesome books at Amazon at £7.99 plus £2.80 P & P.  Money back guarantee if not happy.   
 $good$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 02:56:46 pm »
The Derek Roberts book does appear in two separate editions  - both are Firth's but one is branded as exclusively for Ottakers and bears their emblems.  I seem to think the only one actually on sale in Llandudno was Ottakers (they also sold note books, diaries etc with the same photo on the front as that of the book itself). There is a voucher to buy Frith prints of Llandudno included in the book.

Possibly similar books were written and branded for other towns where Ottakers had branches but using the Frith library of photographs as a basis. I will ask Derek when I see him about.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 03:09:13 pm »
Cambrian, is that the same Derek Roberts who lives directly across the road to me on Liddell Park?

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:49:17 pm »
Brian - he does live on Liddell Park.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 05:01:33 pm »
 $thanx$

Offline hollins

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
The Derek Roberts book does appear in two separate editions  - both are Firth's but one is branded as exclusively for Ottakers and bears their emblems.  I seem to think the only one actually on sale in Llandudno was Ottakers (they also sold note books, diaries etc with the same photo on the front as that of the book itself). There is a voucher to buy Frith prints of Llandudno included in the book.

Possibly similar books were written and branded for other towns where Ottakers had branches but using the Frith library of photographs as a basis. I will ask Derek when I see him about.

Thanks Cambrian for recommending this book to me. I ordered the cheaper one and when it arrived it does say "Produced for the Francis Frith Collection exclusively for Ottakar's.
It arrived very quickly this morning from a seller in Anglesey. I haven't read it yet but it is a lovely book.
Thank you also to Derek Roberts if he is reading this forum!

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »
Thanks, Hollins, glad you could get a copy at reasonable price.  I will pass on your thanks to Derek.  He tells me that Ottakers commissioned about 18 local authors to write similar books about the towns they had certain shops in.  The paperback edition was issued later and for which he was asked to write an up to date final chapter.  He didn't hear any more from them and wasn't sure it had been published!

I am glad you like it - as I said this book rarely gets a mention but in many respects it is arguably more thorough and readable than some of the later, similar books.