Author Topic: Say Hello here if you're a new member  (Read 98331 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Say Hello here if you're a new member...
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 01:25:04 am »
Hi, Greetings from the Isle of Mull. Been a member of this site for a year or 2.
I was born an Evertonian on Merseyside. Most of my school holidays were spent at my nains in Penrhynside and for a few weeks I even attended Ysgol Bodafon. Nain stayed at Tan y Wal were Uncle Hugh was the village cobbler/shoe repairer 1950/1960s.
My fathers family are from the Llandudno, Conwy area and my mothers from Llandegfan/Beaumaris area.

Worked for BR for 35 years on Merseyside,Warrington, Bristol and York in operations. Heavily involved with East Coast Electrification then   Dangerous Goods Officer with Trainload Freight until redundancy/early retirement in 1993.
Then became a Postman on the Isle of Mull and now live at the South West end of the Island overlooking Iona.

Enjoyed many happy holidays at my Mum & Dads with my family during 1970/1980s after they went to live at the West Shore end. Local pub was then the Rhoslan.

My hobbies are Outdoors.
Dog handler with SARDA Southern Scotland, 1st dog Border collie "Drift",now retired. Now training another Border collie "Cass".
Member of Oban Mountain Rescue Team.

Enjoy keeping in touch on this site.

Offline Margaret J

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
Hello,  I was born in Llandudno, attending Craig Y Don School and then John Bright Grammar.  Always worked in the area, now retired but still very much involved with the Llandudno Youth Music Theatre.

Look forward to reading the discussions but most of all the photographs of  Llandudno through the ages.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 10:48:30 am »
Hi, Margaret.  Welcome aboard :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline terry

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 05:03:40 pm »
Hello,
 My name is Terry and I am originally from the Rhondda Valley.My late father's parents etc. originate from North Wales,his father was brought up in Llandudno and I am trying to research my ancestors in that area.
Terry

Offline Paddy

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:59 pm »
Terry, you've come to the right place. There are people on here whos knowledge of local history is incredible. Start picking their brains.

Offline Chris H

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 04:02:18 pm »
Hello all,
My name is Chris and I live in Cambridgeshire.  My family moved to Llandudno from Coedpoeth nr Wrexham in 1960, when I was six.  My father was a member of the Gwynedd Constabulary as it was known back then and we lived in Trinity Avenue.  I went to school in Lloyd Street and then John Bright's Grammar School before we moved to Dolgellau in 1966.  We returned to the area to live in Colwyn Bay in 1972 and I finished my schooling in Eirias High School and joined the Army in 1973.
I found this site after Googling for information on the Coast Artillery School, having used the West Shore gunsites as a playground when I was a kid.
As a former artilleryman, I have a "professional" interest in the site of the old School!

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 10:02:29 pm »
Welcome, Chris.

I went to John Bright in 1961 which was probably a few years before you.

However, you may remember the names of a few of these lads from Lloyd Street school who were runners-up in the Hendre Cup in 1967

http://www.soccerscrapbook.co.uk/schools/page48.html

Offline Chris H

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 08:32:41 am »
Thanks Bri,
I'd already left Llandudno by that stage and was living in Dolgellau...
I've seen a few names that I recognise bandied around on here though!  Ted yr Ogof and his son Johnny, Robin Holden the lifeboat coxwain who was in my class at Lloyd St...
Cheers,
Chris

Offline davidpowell

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 04:54:54 pm »
This is a place for new Members to just post a quick message to say hello and tell us a little bit about themselves.

Hi, I work on the Daily Post. I'd like to reflect the interesting people/events in our wonderful three towns. I'll try to keep tabs on what goes on, on here. Or feel free to email me at davidpowell@dailypost.co.uk and I can see if I can help you.

I also have a Facebook page called 'Daily Post Conwy', if anyone's interested.

Ta, Dave

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 06:41:24 pm »
Hello David, good to see you and welcome to the Forum.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2012, 08:58:03 am »
Welcome aboard, Dave,
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Colin Hugh Abbott

Colin Hugh Abbott
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 03:44:02 am »
Greetings to one and all, from Colin Hugh Abbott, in wonderful Western Australia!  I last saw Llandudno about fifty years ago!  I went to Craig-y-Don Primary School during the early 1950s (Headmaster, Mr Ellis). Mr Ellis used to frighten me, but I'm sure he was a lovely man really.  I attended John Bright Grammar School in the second half of the fifties (Headmaster, Mr Reece).  I spent several years, back and forth, during the sixties, in Northern Ireland. That was a very interesting experience! Then, in 1969, I emigrated to Australia. In fact, I was a veritable "ten pound Pom". Great value! Never looked back!  I sailed to Australia in the Belfast-built SS Canberra (which subsequently became a troop ship during the Falklands War). It was a wonderful ship, but it was eventually broken up for scrap.  I am married, and have three adult sons. Cheers!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Colin Hugh Abbott
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:27 am »
Welcome to the Forum, Hugh. I've seen your posts about Llandudno on the BBC website before, I think. Please feel free to add in your memories wherever you think fit.  :)

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »
Hi,

My name is Jim, just found this site and it is fantastic.
I was born in Oxford rd. and lived in Wydvydd Cottage and went to Great Orme school until about 1957, then moved to Lloyd St and lived in Maesdu Avenue (new flats then). In 1961 moved to Bridge Road and went to John Bright (managed to stay in bottom stream for 5 years).
Started to play golf in 63, taught by Sid Collins at North Wales, moved away in 72 working all over UK. Came back regulaly to see Mam & Dad (who ran The Rest and Be Thankful for 30 years) until they died recently (not been back for 2 years).
still a golf nut and mad Welsh rugby supporter.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:03 pm »
Hiya Jim, welcome to the forum. I'm a bit of a golf/rugby nut myself. We actually have a member here who owns a golf course. If we get enough interest maybe he'll host a forum championship.