Author Topic: Entertainers in Old Llandudno  (Read 4814 times)

Offline lyn

Entertainers in Old Llandudno
« on: September 18, 2010, 02:04:17 pm »

Seeking information on a travelling entertainer by the name of Everett George who was in Llandudno in 1903. Where he came from I do not know nor have I a clue as to what kind of entertainer he was. He is named on the birth certificate of a child called Pearl whom my grandmother gave birth to at 14 Prospect Terrace Llandudno in November 1903. They had moved on to Chester by late January 1904 and came back to register the birth. By 1911 they were no longer together. I came to Llandudno last week and went to the archives but had no luck at all.
Many thanks
Lyn in Sheffield.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:54:20 am by Ian »

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Entertainer - Everett George
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:24:04 pm »
welcome to the forum! what sources have you looked at?  If they were married you could look up the BMD site  for the county where your grandmother hailed from.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:54:35 pm »
Perhaps he was a Pierrot, maybe performing as part of the troupe at Happy Valley?

Offline lyn

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:37:13 pm »
Many thanks for such a quick response.

The couple were not married. My grandmother Naomi Beatrice Rose was born in Swindon in 1885 the daughter of Joseph Rose & Annie George. I had been searching for her for over 20 yrs as she told the family she came from Dublin! I did at first suspect that Everret George was a cousin but it appears not.

It is a long story so I won't go into it other than to say I am an experienced researcher and my grandmother told  a lot of lies. However we did know she had a daughter Pearl and possibly a son called either Hilary or Vivian who died aged two before she met and married my grandfather in Sheffield in 1914 under the surname McRoze. I found her in the 1911 census living 'oer the brush in Doncaster with my granddad. It was only this that gave me the breakthrough to finally trace her family line. In 1911 Pearl is living in Swindon with her Rose grandparents but now has the surname Immeson but it says she was born in Llandudno. On Pearl's birth certificate it states her father is a travelling enetertainer. So it is really my grandmother's life between 1901 and 1911 I wish to find out more about.  How did she meet Everret? As she was only 17 when she had Pearl had she run away from home?
All the 101 questions we have that probably can't be answered.  Why had Pearl's surname changed to Immeson? Was this another man my grandmother had taken up with? I would just love to find out more about Everret even though I am not descended from him as it will just fill in a gap for me.

Lyn

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:07:11 pm »
Perhaps he was a Pierrot, maybe performing as part of the troupe at Happy Valley?
The Scarlet Merrions, Churchill's Happy Valley Minstrels and Joe Perry's Minstrels were  all performing  circa 1910
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:09:12 pm by suepp »

Offline lyn

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 02:14:21 pm »
Thanks Sue I am bearing all these in mind. I know Everret and Naomi had moved to Chester by Jan 1904 so I expect that other work had to be found during the colder winter months.

Lyn