Author Topic: Stress  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Stress
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:34:41 am »
Up to a couple of years ago, when I worked in Senior Management in the 'rat race', I used to have my company mobile switched off out of hours.
The MD of my company hated this, he warned me about it, and my stance was frowned upon.... but I really didn't care.
I found that my BlackBerry was very intrusive in my life, and I would not tolerate it.

Now it seems that Volkswagen have come out on my side... and stopped his happening to thier execs.
See here  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16314901
Have any forum members got any views on this?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Stress
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:07:01 am »
i think that they have got it spot on, when you,v done your shift its your own time, you do not need some one in work calling or texting you out of work hours in the time that you are not getting paid for. if you are on call 24 hours a day and your money is paid to compensate that it is a different story. If its not the case then leave well alone.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:38:40 am »
My husband was a total workaholic. The mobile phone was very intrusive. One time we were on our way to Switzerland in the car. I was driving. We set off from the Alsace for the 3.5 hour journey to our destination. He answered the call at the start and was still talking at the end of the journey despite driving through various long tunnels and stopping at the services for a coffee on the way. I used to write him notes because it was impossible to speak without the phone ringing.
Then he got made redundant and guess what the phone stopped ringing the day after!
Now he is happily retired.
There is a lesson to be learnt.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:29:34 pm »
Interesting Hollins. You must have been a very understanding wife at that time.

Redundancy eh?  It can be a disaster for many.
But if you have long service and good contract terms, it can be the best thing in the world... as it was in my case.  ;) ;)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:25:30 am »
I get a lot of management created stress at work which is affecting my home-life. Getting motivated to do anything at home is hard work. I've found the internet very helpful as a self-help tool.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:08 am »
Up to a couple of years ago, when I worked in Senior Management in the 'rat race', I used to have my company mobile switched off out of hours.
The MD of my company hated this, he warned me about it, and my stance was frowned upon.... but I really didn't care.
I found that my BlackBerry was very intrusive in my life, and I would not tolerate it.

Now it seems that Volkswagen have come out on my side... and stopped his happening to thier execs.
See here  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16314901

When I was a Senior Exec I was very fortunate as  1) I was either the Boss or one of the Board and 2)  There were no mobile phones!    Pure Bliss!     L0L
Have any forum members got any views on this?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:36:14 am by DaveR »
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:37:20 am »
Stress? What's that...?  8)