Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 228123 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Welcome!
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »
Hi. W.  Welcome and  ££$.... $good$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2015, 10:49:54 pm »
If he's the same Edward Goodey Jones then he was a very well known local character.  He was known as Ted Yr Ogof on account of the fact that his ancestors lived in a cave on the Great Orme.
Ted was a lovely guy and sadly died on the promenade in Llandudno at an early age and there is a memorial to him near the spot where he died.       His son, Ed Jones is actually a forum member on here and there is plenty of info about the family in Geneology and Research on here.   Have a look under the title "Jones Family"  and I think there is more info under Miriam Yr Ogof too

Offline Wynnedc

• Born in Colwyn Bay. Lived Mill Street, Llanddulas.
    • Linkedin
« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2015, 06:53:18 am »

Thanks very much. I'll follow this up. Best wishes.

Chris
Chris Wynne-Davies

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2015, 08:07:38 am »
Chris: you only need to make a post once anywhere in here, for everyone to see it. I've deleted the other two duplicate posts you made and merged this one into the Welcome topic. Thanks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #364 on: June 18, 2015, 11:27:42 am »
Hi, I'm very sorry it's taken such a long time to introduce myself. I didn't have a computer for a while and don't have much spare time. I've finally looked through the forum and found it really interesting, I've been reading things out to my mum who is not of good health and she always has a comment to make as she is a local historian. I've been a member for a while but jumped straight into a couple of your postings as I noticed members talking about my mum's family. Her family are mostly from Conwy, LLandudno and LLangwstenin. I am trying to do my family tree but always get stuck as my mother's maternal and paternal families have the same names and lived next to each other on the Great Orme, Llandudno and Conwy, so I get them mixed up.  The forum has really been a great help. By the way Edward Goodey Jones was my mum's uncle, her mothers brother. Many thanks Elizabeth :)

Offline Jelly Baby

Newbie Jelly Baby
« Reply #365 on: August 09, 2015, 11:57:08 am »
I've been a bit slack in not introducing myself, so I'd better make up for it! I was born in Bangor, grew up until the age of 7 in Penrhynside and then moved to Llandudno. I have now been a resident of beautiful Tasmania for the past 10 years, but the previous 30 were spent in Brisbane, in sunny Queensland. Huh, sunny it might be, but they don't warn you about the humidity! Our bit of Tassie enjoys a very Llandudno-like climate, where winds feature very prominently! 8) But when it is good, it is very, very good!
I've been piecing together our Family Tree since I was a teenager, but thankfully, the internet has made things so much easier (not to mention cheaper!) now. Except when the winds get so blustery it blows the typeface off the dratted keyboard!!  :rage:
I went to Bodafon and John Bright's (when it was still a Grammar school!) but I give the greatest credit to Mr Stanley Mason, our Headmaster at Bodafon, for instilling a love of learning that has never left me. That man was a brilliant teacher, way ahead of his time.
As can be gathered from the above, I'm no spring chook, having been born a century ago - well last century anyway! But you know what they say, oldies have the best memories!
I have just come into some amazing photos of days of yore and I'm making concerted efforts to find out more about the folk in them - so expect to see a few more in the weeks ahead! Hopefully someone out there can help uncover their names so we can remember them properly!
Oops! Should this have been posted here?  :-[ Hopefully Ian or Dave could re-position me as appropriate?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #366 on: August 09, 2015, 03:29:44 pm »
I believe that Stanley Mason was the last headmaster to live in the school house next to the school.   His son Alwyn, a friend of mine was teling me about living in the school house when he was a young boy.
Bodafon School still has a good reputation for education and what a superb view of the town from the school playground.    The old Victorian   letterbox is still in the wall of the school house as it was when you were there.
The school house is now in private ownership after being sold by Mostyn Estates in 1990

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #367 on: August 10, 2015, 01:14:45 pm »
I thought all the Mason boys had names starting with K?! Keith was in my year at Bodafon. We used to go for Nature Rambles and played cricket up on the mountain past Pant-y-Wenol. There was no stupid PC business in those days, both girls and boys bowled and batted. Once when we were playing cricket in the boys' yard, I went in to bat and Mr Mason bowled a very high ball which sailed straight over my head and landed firmly on the bails! Out for a duck, I was - but I've never seem such exquisitely timed perfection! If only the Australian cricket team could have played like that, they'd be bringing the Ashes back - instead of bringing their reputations back in ashes!!  L0L
Thanks for the lovely photo - brought a lump to my throat it did!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #368 on: August 10, 2015, 01:50:17 pm »
I only know Alwyn and didn't realise the Bodafon connection until he mentioned his father and his time living in the school house.   Alwyn must be in his late 50's but I'm not sure of his exact age.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #369 on: August 10, 2015, 04:27:23 pm »
I remember Dr Kevin Mason.  A museum professional, became Assistant Director for North Wales of the former Council of Museums in Wales.  He subsequently became director of the Bodelwyddan Castle Trust.  As far as I know he is still there.

Offline Scoobyagriff12

« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2015, 02:38:26 pm »
Hey, thanks for the approval, this is going to be really useful to me and i'm hoping i'll be able to contribute too  :D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #371 on: November 28, 2015, 04:27:31 pm »
I thought all the Mason boys had names starting with K?! Keith was in my year at Bodafon.

i saw Alwyn about 2 weeks ago when he was working in the area.   Alwyn said that there were five brothers,  Keith, Kevin, Alwyn and Adrian but I've forgotten the name of the 5th one! 

Offline Monica

« Reply #372 on: November 29, 2015, 10:59:38 am »
Hi - I have just joined the forum as I am hoping to retire to Llandudno.    I am useless on computer so don't know how I will fare on the site. I typed in "retiring" on the search box and 'simple machines' keep coming up and not sure what that is about.   Can you point me in the direction of people who have retired to Llandudno so I can read their views.   Thanks so much
 :rage:
Monica

Offline Hugo

« Reply #373 on: November 29, 2015, 01:01:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum Monica,  Llandudno is a beautiful place to live in and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it here when you retire.

Have a look at "Ask a local" and then scroll down to "Thinking of moving to the area"  and you may get some info there.

I'm useless on the computer too but the Admins here  Ian and DaveR  will help you with any problems as will the other forum members who are good with IT

Offline hiraeth

« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2015, 09:17:39 pm »
I'm so pleased to be here. I lived in Bryn Pydew for about 30 years with a small gap in the middle. My children all had some of their growing up years there and my youngest son was born in Old Swan. I worked at Llandudno and Conwy hospitals. I loved walks around  Pydew especially Bodysgallen woods. I  loved  days walking in Snowdonia. I now live in dead flat Norfolk hence the 'hiraeth!'