Author Topic: Computing and change  (Read 36127 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Computing and change
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 05:51:10 pm »
Argos launch new concept store.

WhatS new in retail technology!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »
I think Google will outlive us all. It made profits of £1.84bn in just the last three months.   :laugh: :roll:

How much tax on that?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 10:15:07 am »
Trouble is, the Forbes article is as badly researched as the writer is suggesting the Guardian article was.  The problems stem from the creativity of accountants. I don't for one minute accept the Forbes piece but then the Guardian's left too much out to be useful.  The truth - as ever - is almost certainly somewhere in between, but good luck getting to it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 10:22:18 am »
Trouble is, the Forbes article is as badly researched as the writer is suggesting the Guardian article was. 
What is incorrect in that article?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
Everything the writer leaves out. For instance, he says nothing about the details within the accounts, nothing about how offsets were employed to make the bottom line change, nothing about exactly how the final figure was arrived at or much of anything else. When I get the end of year accounts from the companies in which I have shares they're a good inch thick, with tiny fonts and so many exceptions, allocations, dispensations and so on that I'd need a good year just to read them and a team of accountants to decipher them. If Google are giving away nearly all their profits to HMRC (as he's trying to insinuate) then why doesn't he go into  detail?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 10:50:03 am »
Google UK Ltd is a privately held company, so in-depth financials are not available. However, the Summary Accounts are available and I've attached them for you to analyse...  :twoface:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:19 am »
Google UK Ltd is a privately held company, so in-depth financials are not available

And why am I not surprised?

Google Inc. would be more interesting, but my accountant tells me summary accounts always hide more than they reveal.

If Google UK Ltd has no shareholders and is privately held, how can it be limited?  It must, presumably, have directors - of which three resigned last year, I see.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 11:33:52 am »
Ian, all Limited Companies have shareholders. The Directors change so often because they are just employees of Google, rather than the actual owners as with most Ltds. Google UK Ltd is just a holding company for Google's operations in the UK; the ultimate parent company will be Google Inc. Google Inc is a public company, so full accounts are available to study.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 05:31:49 pm »
all Limited Companies have shareholders. The Directors change so often because they are just employees of Google, rather than the actual owners as with most Ltds. Google UK Ltd is just a holding company for Google's operations in the UK; the ultimate parent company will be Google Inc.

Indeed.  So it's a handy device for obscuring tax details...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 06:07:40 pm »
  Hey, come on. Don,t let our two moderators start falling out over big, big business which is beyond most of us.
  Just look after the forum for us as you always do so well

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 06:28:40 pm »
Without highlighting any of Ian's or DaveR's comments, groups who present consolidated accounts can play with the figures, in and between individual companies, to cover any particular outcome they wish.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »
all Limited Companies have shareholders. The Directors change so often because they are just employees of Google, rather than the actual owners as with most Ltds. Google UK Ltd is just a holding company for Google's operations in the UK; the ultimate parent company will be Google Inc.

Not at all, taxation figures are clearly presented in the accounts.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 07:50:37 pm »

Not at all, taxation figures are clearly presented in the accounts.

"Clearly" presented? There's very little about corporation accounts that justify the epithet 'Clear" in any shape or form, which is precisely why they get away with so much fiddling....

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 07:51:28 pm »
Don,t let our two moderators start falling out

No chance of that, Mike :-)))