Author Topic: Computing and change  (Read 36129 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Computing and Google
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 07:20:15 am »
Hello Yorkie, I'm a bit confused. You mention Google.
   Well even I know an iPad is Apples baby, and the operating system---I dont knoe anything about this but the fact that it has "i" in the front again suggests Apple.   

Google is in the title of the thread, I didn't refer to it!   My first PC was an Apple Euro Plus with two floppy drives and a massive 16k of memory.  :D   They were exciting times writing your own programs in Basic!    ;D  After all it was only 1980. . . .
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Computing and change
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 08:16:56 am »
I've changed the topic title to allow for a little more meandering.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 08:18:25 am »
I'm resisting updating the iOS for the moment. One thing does concern me and that's whether the readability of the upgrade is as good as the old version.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 09:09:44 am »
I updated to IO7 on the iPhone5 and...its ok. I find some of the icon colours a little garish; hopefully there will be alternative options available at some point.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 10:44:55 am »
One thing I am finding annoying is when Inscroll up from the bottom of the screen the hidden controls all appear and has to be closed.  I suppose one will get used to it in time. ;D
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »
Although I now have an iPad, I still require my old PC for lots of other uses.  I want to get rid of the tower, monitor and additional HDD and am now considering getting a decent laptop.  I am thinking of an HP Pavilion with Core i5, 4Gb, and 750 Gb  (or 1T) HDD AND 15.6 screen.  Has anyone any experience or can suggest something at a similar spec and price.  Not Apple, thanks.   $thanx$
Cicero

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »
I was looking for a replacement laptop for my son's old tosh and came across this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360784837705

From quick viewing I can't  verify how good or how good value it is without looking into it further but the price looks ok. Anyone any views?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 08:23:16 am »
Good spec but processor speed could do with improving.    $thanx$ For suggestion.   :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 08:26:02 am »
Although I now have an iPad, I still require my old PC for lots of other uses.  I want to get rid of the tower, monitor and additional HDD and am now considering getting a decent laptop.  I am thinking of an HP Pavilion with Core i5, 4Gb, and 750 Gb  (or 1T) HDD AND 15.6 screen.  Has anyone any experience or can suggest something at a similar spec and price.  Not Apple, thanks.   $thanx$
Bear in mind if you get rid of your additional HDD, you will have no way of backing up your files externally. If the Laptop HDD fails, then you will have lost everything.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 08:37:13 am »
Thanks for that Dave.  I also have another external drive that I used with my notebook, or could maybe manage with a decent memory stick for back up.  The contents of my big external drive is mainly music and a load of old files as well as system info.  I don't know why I keep half the stuff.   :D

I certainly agree with regular backing up and routine housekeeping.  I have just upgraded my System Mechanic utility and it is certainly becoming a great tool, or actually set of tools. www.iol.com are the firm.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 08:42:33 am »
Online backup is another option, Google offer 15gb of free storage.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-online-backup-sites.htm

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 11:12:04 am »
Online backup is another option, Google offer 15gb of free storage.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-online-backup-sites.htm

Ah! Another good suggestion.  In fact there seems to be a few options available, so they are worth thinking about.   $thanx$
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »
But if Google go bust..... you are up a gum tree!   :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 08:12:00 am »
But if Google go bust..... you are up a gum tree!   :laugh: :laugh:

That was my initial thought, in fact, I was going to compare it with an ATM or a Bank closure, but diplomacy got the better of me!   :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 08:27:18 am »
I think Google will outlive us all. It made profits of £1.84bn in just the last three months.   :laugh: :roll: