Author Topic: Computing and change  (Read 36128 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Computing and change
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2017, 11:36:55 am »
Excel runs on Macs through the Mac version of Office, F. But options include Google Docs or Numbers, which ships free with Macs.

Bosun - welcome to the gang :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2017, 11:39:04 am »
Fester, I'm no boffin and the work I do in Word or Excel is pretty simple stuff, but I was, like you, concerned but having had the machine since the weekend and done a small amount of work in both formats in Apple, I can assure you that Apple software converts it to it's own format with ease and without any loss of data or formatting.  Apple software is simpler and far more intuitive than Microsoft, although I've not delved into the difficult stuff (formulas etc) that an accountant or publisher might use, but so far, it's superb. I've sent  AppleMac 'Excel' files (Apple call it 'Numbers') to people without them even knowing that I'm in Apple. You can transfer data in numerous ways, but a cable link appears to be the easiest, or get the supplier (PC World) to do it for you.

PC World were actually very good and most helpful, I was quite impressed with them. I prefer to deal with people over a purchase like this, rather than an internet purchase, because unlike the internet, you can go back and poke them in the chest in the event of it going wrong. The manager at Currys PC World was very good and I'd recommend that you speak to him direct as a couple of his 'salesmen' are not cut out for retail.

As for transfer, I've had no problem whatsoever with data transfer, no loss of data or loss of format. And the photography filing software is stunning.

To me, the whole operating system is light years ahead of Microsoft, others may disagree, but that's what we feel. If there was one small thing that was wary of at first, but I'm now used to, and that is the keyboard is quite small, especially for someone as hamfisted as me, but now, after three days I actually prefer it as it's faster to use, as your hands and fingers don't have to move so far! It's not like playing a church organ keyboard like a PC.

In all, I'm a very happy convert. Don't hesitate to contact me for anything further I can help with, but remember, I am an Apple beginner! 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2017, 11:41:28 am »
Thanks Ian. It's a nice feeling, we are much happier and confident of our computing future than we were! 

Also Fester, AppleMac updates of the operating system and software are free for life. That's another big plus point in my book.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:37 pm »
Don't hesitate to ask if you need help, Bosun. I've been using Macs since the late '80s and I know Dave R is very fluent, especially  with photographic software.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2017, 04:00:11 pm »
Hi Bosun, I've wrestled with the same issue for years, Ian and Dave have urged me to get a Mac.
However, I'm still hesitant due to one point that I'm unsure about.
That being, all of my accounts and work docs are in Excel.  I'm not sure if, or how, they can be transferred and continue to be edited under the different operating system.
You make reference to your files being simple to transfer.  Does that include any Microsoft office docs? If so, can you tell me more?
I refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer I have given several times previously...  ;D

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2017, 06:34:40 am »
A question for you Apple enthusiasts please.Whilst I persist with an Android smartphone and Windows 10 laptop fairly successfully, my wife has an Appel I phone and I pad mini.  She tells me the mini is "going slower and slower" and wants to know how to speed it up!
With Windows, I use a combination of things like avast, c cleaner, cleanmgr, malwarebytes on a fairly regular basis. However I have no idea what to suggest with Apple. Could you give me an idea of how you keep your apple machines running "fast". Thank you.
PS  I am thinking of going back to Apple at some time in the future! I went to the dark side some years ago.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2017, 07:50:51 am »
What model and year is the mini? As more apps are released which use the newer and faster processors, it can tend to seem as though a iPad slows down. Also, depending on the free RAM if that becomes loaded to the top the iPad will have less room to manoeuvre easily and will slow down.

In terms of maintaining speeds, the desktops and laptops require almost nothing. However, as with any system, the more programs and apps loaded the slightly slower the start up times will become, as the OS takes longer to get them all lined up and standing quietly. However, I use Cocktail to do essential maintenance and a little app called Memory Clean can help laptops to stay quick. But the basic needs can be met by the Apple on-board Disc Utility  (users/applications/Utilities/ ) and it's worth using the 'repair permissions' option every so often to keep the Hard drives happy.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:07 am »
Thank you for the advice. I have "cut and pasted" your helpful reply and sent it to her in an email!
It's an i pad mini 2 which she likes as it is very portable but may need to be renewed. she regularly updates the IOS
to ensure that the phone and pad are "synched" (or whatever the apple term is). It is used primarily for emails, whats app. photos
which go to the cloud and browsing. It's not used for streaming or gaming or spreadsheets etc.
Thanks again.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2017, 08:46:37 am »
The iPad 2 will be very slow, these days, as modern apps and the iOS upgrades are all optimised for the faster processors. One problem with Apple machines is they seem to last for ever, so you become reluctant to change.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »
I've still got the very first I pad! I like the bigger screen - I don't notice it being much slower than my I phone 7 phone to be honest.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2022, 10:52:09 am »
If you're not a Dabbs follower you should be.  This contribution of his is perfect for starting the day on a semi-hysterical point.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2024, 03:25:59 pm »
Over the Christmas  holiday period my Dell laptop finally gave up the ghost.   A blank screen with vertical lines was all I could get on it and the screen was  falling apart.
I'm only able to post this as I have one hand holding the frame together and the other typing and doing the rest so we'll see how it goes for the next few days.
One good thing is that I've backed up the laptop this time and following my visit to Currys this morning a new laptop will on its way here soon       

Offline Hammy

« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2024, 04:05:31 pm »
Hugo, Do you have another laptop or screen that you can temporarily hook up to a USB port on your current machine. That would save your frame holding contortions!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2024, 08:07:36 pm »
Thanks very much for your advice Hammy, it is appreciated.     I am using the laptop at the moment without any problems and it must have been the smack I gave it when I became frustrated using it
I bought another one from Currys this morning and it's going to be delivered to my house in a few days.  I should have bought another one a couple of years ago when bits were falling off it and I couldn't close it so it has been on borrowed time anyway.
If it plays up again I'll have to give it a smack again but in the meantime I'm back on line again and making the most of what's left in the machine
Thanks again Hammy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2024, 11:57:57 am »
My old laptop is still working and must have had a loose wire because when I gave it a smack it seemed to solve the problem.  It's not recommended for anyone to do that but it worked for me! 
I've now got two working laptops so I should be ok for a while