Author Topic: Computing and change  (Read 36138 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Computing and change
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 09:05:26 pm »

Indeed.  So it's a handy device for obscuring tax details...

Not at all, taxation figures are clearly presented in the accounts.

"Clearly" presented? There's very little about corporation accounts that justify the epithet 'Clear" in any shape or form, which is precisely why they get away with so much fiddling....
I have to disagree.  :twoface:  I've read probably hundreds of company accounts over the years, and have even prepared/submitted a few simple ones to Companies House. Accurate analysis requires a knowledge of the subject, of course, but that's the same for most things in life.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 10:35:21 pm »
In this day and age, there are some fantastic and ever more sophisticated computer games for consoles and PC's.

The game mentioned in this article here is NOT one of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25137093

Ashes Cricket 2013 was launched, and subsequently abandoned, because it has been found to be 'embarrassing' and rubbish.
Part way through the article, there is a link which takes you to Youtube, where you can see some of the actual game play.
It has been withdrawn from sale now, not for improving, but to be completely abandoned and refunded.

I actually went on Youtube and watched other clips of the game play, I found it hilarious.  :laugh: :laugh:
There were better quality games on the market 20 years ago!   I can't believe they actually tried to get away with it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 07:01:57 am »
It is at least more interesting than the real thing, but then so is watching paint dry!  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Getting a post 2 go "VIRAL" by accident
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 07:07:15 pm »
   In case any members don't know what going viral is, its like a cold. You post something---in my case it was either Facebook or Twitter, I'm not sure which. Then it spreads around like wildfire.

Now the following remains a complete mystery to me. I would love it if someone could tell me why it happened.

Just on a year ago I put in a simple post, something like   "The Great Orme Family Golf will be reopening on April 1st. Looking forward to seeing you all."

Next thing I knew I had a message from Facebook or Twitter --- "Your post has gone viral."

So I looked. It had received over 1,900 hits in the space of a day or two.

I suppose there are a few golfers waiting around the corner for me to make an appearance. But 1,900.  Traffic jams up Llwynon Road?

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:21 pm »
better start cutting the grass mike, will you want some more golf balls soon. ?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 08:01:22 pm »
 Snowcap, do I need golf balls? Like an alcoholic needs beer.  I go through a lot of lost balls. Several reasons but mainly because my customers are often very inexperienced golfers, the site is very windy and a lot of the course is alongside a very steep, rough drop into the scrubland above Haulfre  Gardens.
 Also my nature prevents me from charging for lost balls, which, I might add, my predecessors up here used to try to charge 80 pence a time. Well, best of luck, I wouldn't even think of doing that. It's just one of those things, and so long as no one is being stupid and loosing ball after ball after ball I am perfectly happy to give them a spare or two.  Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 08:03:24 pm »
  Just looked at the heading. Computing and change. Bit off topic. Sorry moderators, I never noticed

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2014, 09:22:46 pm »
  Just looked at the heading. Computing and change. Bit off topic. Sorry moderators, I never noticed

Must keep you eye on the ball, Mike!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2014, 11:02:12 am »
All those still using Windows XP

Don't forget that support from Microsoft for Windows XP ends on 8 April 2014.

There are ways to keep the system protected and functioning correctly.

I use IOLO Industries System Mechanic, but other options are available.    :D
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 06:33:37 pm »
Attack code for 'unpatchable' USB flaw released

Computer code that can turn any almost any device that connects via USB into a cyber-attack platform has been shared online.
Computer security researchers wrote the code following the discovery of the USB flaw earlier this year.
The pair made the code public in an attempt to force electronics firms to improve defences against attack by USB.
One of the experts who found the flaw said the release was a "stark reminder" of its seriousness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29475566

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »
Load of Gobbledegook!   :rage:
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 07:57:01 pm »
Load of Gobbledegook!   
It may be to a lot of us, but I want our forum computer experts up to date, when I come calling..HELP ME  :rage:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:49 pm »
I wonder if we have anyone who could deal with this.

The security problems with USB devices run deeper than you think: Their risk isn’t just in what they carry, it’s built into the core of how they work. That’s the takeaway from findings of security researchers Karsten Nohl and Jakob Lell.

The malware they created, called BadUSB, can be installed on a USB device to completely take over a PC, invisibly alter files installed from the memory stick, or even redirect the user’s internet traffic. ... And the two researchers say there’s no easy fix. ... They spent months reverse engineering the firmware that runs the basic communication functions of USB devices.

University of Pennsylvania computer science professor Matt Blaze...speculates that the USB attack may in fact already be common practice for the NSA. He points to a spying device known as Cottonmouth, revealed earlier this year in the leaks of Edward Snowden.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:13 am »
Indeed, but you simply have to be careful about what you plug in.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 08:48:43 am »
As a matter of interest would wlireless communication between peripherals be an answer?   ZXZ
Cicero