Author Topic: Deganwy changes  (Read 3976 times)

Offline BrianP

Deganwy changes
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »
The B&W postcard of Deganwy by Joanes Publications, shows how it looked on the 8th. August 1962. The colour photo was taken around the 1980's, and the coal merchant business has gone, along with the Sea Cadet Chapel and Signal Box.

Offline BrianP

Re: Deganwy changes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
Sorry, here is the B&W Postcard

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:52:05 am »
Brıan you are quıte correct and ıdentıfyıng those changes.

At the tıme you mentıon ın 1962, I was doıng a paper round for Mrs Lancaster along Statıon Road and one of the houses on my round was Bob Glo at Gwynfor who used that coal yard.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »
The No.1 signal box referred to closed for the last time on 4th June 1967.  Not sure when it was actually demolished but I think it was within a couple of years.

The last Station Master also finished in 1967 = T G C Jones who came there from Hope & Pen y Ffordd when that station closed in 1962.

The Dock Master role was then continued by Hywel Davies on a part-time basis.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 09:57:21 am »
DEGANWY residents have won a “David v Goliath” battle to reopen a railway crossing that was shut for 10 years.

The 20-foot crossing at the bottom of Ty Mawr Road leads to the Coastal Path towards Conwy and prevents residents having to walk an extra half-an-hour over a busy flyover.

It was closed without notice by Network Rail in 2011 when officers removed signage and locked the entrance gate.

The path is understood to have been a right of way for centuries, used by fisherman and to transport grain before the railway line was built.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19018621.deganwy-residents-win-10-year-fight-closure-railway-crossing/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:22:14 am »
I used that path many years ago long before they built the flyover and remember it being closed without warning,
If my memory is correct I think the path had tall ladder stiles there to enable you to get across the tracks.     I'm sure that Bri Roberts would know for certain

Offline DVT

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 01:03:56 pm »
Wasn't the path, and the stile-type ladder, closed by British Rail as someone had a near miss with a train - and with the blame culture of modern times then British Rail could be held liable for death or serious injury, even if caused by someone not using their eyes, ears and common sense.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 01:19:56 pm »
Yes, Hugo, I remember a local young lady called Jane C sadly committed suicide around twenty years ago and that seemed to trigger the closure.

My Nain and Taid lived up on the bend next door to the newsagents on the hill and I used to spend a lot of time down there, outside Mr Buckley’s chip ship and over the style in question.

To us the danger as a six year during the fifties was no different to looking right, left and right again just as we were taught when crossing the main road.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 01:23:14 pm »
Yes I believe they had a near miss there, JFS and Bebb got their pics in the paper for this, few hundred yds to the right is deganwy Quay walk to there you are on the path, walk the other way go to the flyover you are on the pathway, isn't that a safer option than a poor train driver seeing some youngster getting killed 😢, wonder how many real deganwy people want this reopened.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 01:26:48 pm »
Yes bri now you mention it I do remember that sadly, I think we knew the boundaries in them days.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 01:38:15 pm »
Yes, Norman, we certainly did.

As kids, we used another wooden style half way between the style in question and the entrance to Deganwy Quay.

One of my best friends, Steven Hughes, died in 1963 after falling between two coal trucks parked up on the docks and I have never forgotten that sad accident.

No doubt, Steven and his other friends will have walked over that second style but that remained there until the Deganwy Dock was developed twenty years later.

In those days, I am unsure if we were allowed to walk onto the docks through that other entrance as there may have been a signal box there as well as the Tuxfords offices.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 04:47:00 pm »
I can remember two five-barred gates and the tall stiles at the Tywyn crossing.
I also paid the occasional visit to the dock via the crossing opposite All Saints. There was a signal box there but was only used when there were movements of rail traffic to the dock sidings, which latterly housed mothballed coaches during the winter, and goods wagons into the siding alongside Station Road.  The quay crossing itself was controlled from a small brick building which housed a ground frame with one lever which locked the gates.  The crossing keeper only worked an 8 hour shift and had Saturday afternoons off which was the best time to go exploring.

Sadly in 1901, two young Irish sailors from a boat at the quayside, William Miller and Patrick Murphy, were killed when struck by a train at the quay crossing. They are buried together in Llanrhos churchyard.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 05:28:17 pm »
Planning committee members have approved a pay and display car park for Deganwy residents in a C1 flood zone, against the advice of officers.

Conwy county councillors looked at the plans, right next to the existing council-owned rail station car park off Station Road, at Wednesday’s planning meeting.

Officers had recommended refusal of the scheme due to a flood risk report from Natural Resources Wales (NRW), but several committee members scoffed at the flood risk, with the site right next to an existing car park owned by the council, and the fact it was not a permanent structure.

The plans, brought forward by Laura Hibbert, would transform what Cllr Dave Rees (Llansanffraid ward) described as an “absolutely disgusting” plot of land strewn with “scrap cars, scrap trailers and scrap boats”, into a car park for a temporary 25-year term.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19080261.new-deganwy-car-park-flood-zone-approved-despite-warnings-officers/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 02:51:28 pm »
PLANS have been put forward to convert a former chemist into bar in Deganwy.      ref Pioneer

Applicant Mr R Blackwell, of Jane Eva Homes Limited, is behind the plans earmarked for 107 Station Road.

The site is currently vacant.
Limited details are available at present but it is proposed that the bar is closed on Mondays, opens between Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2pm and 11pm, Fridays and Saturdays between 12pm and midnight and on Sundays, 2pm until 10pm.