Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 201405 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #555 on: December 09, 2014, 09:20:50 am »
Jonty, I think it's maybe a case of people remember how great the Xmas lights were back in the 70s and would like to see those days back again. What frustrates Wrex is the seeming lack of enthusiasm from the TC to really up their game with regards to the Xmas lights. Even if they didn't have the money to hand, they could at least show some ambition and try to get the townspeople involved more.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #556 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:54 pm »
The Town Council have LOTS of meetings, and often have SPECIAL meetings, outside the regular schedule.

I know this because a Town Councillor is on my darts team, but usually has ''important council business'' which prevents him playing most weeks.     It all sounds very high-brow and hush-hush.   But nothing ever seems to emerge from it.  &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #557 on: December 09, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »
To Wrex - sorry to bring you back in the fold over this! But you're right that public and business feeling on this could be harnessed a little better.

To DaveR - Unfortunately, such illuminations were before my time! Llandudno seems to have had something of a heyday which I missed by a smidgen, but under such circumstances, I can understand why those who remember would be miffed. Do you think there's any visible reason to which said decline might be attributed? What was it which kicked off that decline in ambition and drive on the part of Town Councillors? Naturally, a lot has happened in Llandudno before I came in to the world (late 80s) and given that much of it would have gone on quietly or behind the scenes, I feel a bit ignorant as to what the prevailing mood or consensus is, having only really wised up to goings-on in the town in the past ten years or so.

To Fester - off-the-books "special" meetings can be quite the enigma. Luckily, I don't think town councils are as susceptible to it as the county councils; after all, the bigger authorities have the machinations of officers and departmental cabinet members/"lead members" to deal with, while (to the best of my knowledge) the administration of town councils consists only of small groups of clerks, rather than technocrats with situations to "maintain" or huge spending briefs to tackle.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #558 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:44 am »
What was it which kicked off that decline in ambition and drive on the part of Town Councillors?

Thinking about that the easy (and glib) answer is because they've aged.  Many have been on the TC for years, but inertia in Llandudno ensures there's never a huge number of prospective candidates putting their names forward so those in what can loosely be described as 'power' simply fall asleep at the wheel. More especially, to most of them 'it's all been done before' so they reject novel concepts out of hand and things continue in their largely comfortable and generally unfulfilling rut.

We've been saying for years that we want a younger TC (by 'younger' I'm resisting the temptation to say 'still breathing unaided') but you'd need a concerted effort to mount a credible assault on the incumbents. Once they're on, of course, the younger members realise there's no real power in the TC so go for the CBC. Then, often disillusioned, they move on.

Jonty's point is well taken, though; they're not idiots - well, not all of them, anyway - but they are generally older (which reflects the population demographic) and many have become...accustomed to the job and don't want to do anything which might be construed as 'rocking the boat'. In fact, I think Jonty hammered the nail firmly home when he said "maybe they've just come to accept what they get".

Viewing the list of TCs on the Llandudno website it's quite striking how many have been on the TC since before the internet was invented. Some were even born before indoor toilets became the norm.  And that age imbalance might help to explain why younger members find it very difficult to change things. Margaret Lyon, for instance, started the Extravaganza in 1987 - some 27 years ago - and that was a great initiative, which still resonates with the town today. But the TC are often  blocked at every turn by the delightful CCBC. There have been numerous occasions on which the LTC have proposed or given their backing to things, only to have CCBC turn the whole idea into a Victorian melodrama.  The saga of the tram shelter at West shore is merely the latest in a string of such proposals.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #559 on: December 10, 2014, 10:05:26 am »
To DaveR - Unfortunately, such illuminations were before my time! Llandudno seems to have had something of a heyday which I missed by a smidgen, but under such circumstances, I can understand why those who remember would be miffed. Do you think there's any visible reason to which said decline might be attributed? What was it which kicked off that decline in ambition and drive on the part of Town Councillors? Naturally, a lot has happened in Llandudno before I came in to the world (late 80s) and given that much of it would have gone on quietly or behind the scenes, I feel a bit ignorant as to what the prevailing mood or consensus is, having only really wised up to goings-on in the town in the past ten years or so.

As with so many things in Llandudno, it was the demise of Aberconwy Borough Council that was the problem. Its replacement by Conwy County Council meant that the focus on Llandudno was completely lost, with a revived Llandudno Town Council being passed responsibility for things like Christmas Lights, but sadly the TC has little money or power to do anything other than a token effort.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #560 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:58 pm »
Here is a big token get every one around the table and disscuss the whole town from the Links to the Empire,cost nothing,may achieve may not.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #561 on: December 12, 2014, 05:17:39 pm »
BLACK BOG ISLAND ,MERRY BLACK XMAS

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #562 on: December 13, 2014, 08:54:43 am »
The tree outside Wetherspoons has gone----------it was leaning at a strange angle on Weds, but had disappeared last night.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #563 on: December 14, 2014, 06:42:57 pm »
It will be interesting to see if the town council replace it or think stuff it and leave it vacant,watch that space.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: December 15, 2014, 07:50:10 am »
It will be interesting to see if the town council replace it or think stuff it

A stuffed tree, eh? Dead, inanimate and propped up, merely looking as though it were still alive. While we're talking about the council...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #565 on: December 15, 2014, 08:40:32 am »
 _))* _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #566 on: December 15, 2014, 08:41:59 am »
 L0L L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #567 on: December 15, 2014, 09:08:53 am »
It will be interesting to see if the town council replace it or think stuff it and leave it vacant,watch that space.
I don't think I've ever seen the Council plant any new trees on roadsides in the County; a shame as they add so much to the streetscape.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #568 on: December 15, 2014, 10:47:33 am »
I don't think I've ever seen the Council plant any new trees on roadsides in the County; a shame as they add so much to the streetscape.

I think it's so they don't have the problems of maintainance and upkeep of them once they've grown, thus saving money for other resources.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: December 15, 2014, 05:18:38 pm »
I wonder if they're better at large scale projects?

[smg id=3310]