Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 201685 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2010, 07:27:19 pm »
 :'(I DON'T LIKE TO ADMIT IT ,BUT HEY,THE LIGHTS ON THE XMAS TREES ARE MUCH BETTER,NOT SURE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE LIGHTS ON THE TOWN HALL. ZXZ

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »
The Trees were well lit, and all of the lighting appeared to be working, apart from the Town Hall which was in darkness:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »
 WWW Do you realise if you where a visitor coming into Llandudnopast the Links hotel you would have no idea xmas was approaching until you rounded the Tudno Castle,so what this tells us is Mostyn Champneys,Asda,and Parc LLandudnoare all at fault for making NO effort what soever to illuminate their premises and so this is why they all need to get round atable and make LLandudno a magical place to visit at xmas . L0L   

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »
 ))* Colwyn Bay have brand new xmas lights ,can we swoop our councils. :P

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2010, 08:03:03 pm »
))* Colwyn Bay have brand new xmas lights ,can we swoop our councils. :P
Yes, they are pretty good, we should have this sort of thing on Mostyn Street:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2010, 09:53:38 pm »
 :( Not sure but it looks like the council are not putting lights on the town hall this year,not too bothered because it seemed a bit stupid to me to waste those lights on the town hall when Mostyn St is left with no xmas symbol lights. ΒΆΒΆ##

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:17 pm »
Wrex, I also noticed that there are no lights on the palm trees at Carlton roundabout and no blue icicle lights on the toilets at Bog Island. Things seem to be going backwards from last year.  :(

I just read this comment about the Christmas lights on Oscar's blog:

"why dont Llandudno do what Penmaenmawr do? Approach Mostyn Estates to see if they will let a voluntary group take on one of the numerous empty shops at drastically reduced rates and open a "Light up Llandudno" cafe with all proceeds going directly to buying lights for the town each year.I am sure that there would be many willing volunteers to run the cafe.Penmaenmawr's opened for an initial period of a couple of months to raise money and is still open years later.What this town lacks is a real Commuity spirit.We dont need the council."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:05 pm »
Forgot to mention, when I was heading up the Orme on Sunday morning, I passed by the twin set of floodlights (that illuminate that part of the Orme) at the side of Happy Valley. They are still out of action after having been damaged by vandals over a year ago now (wouldn't a grille over the glass have been a good idea in such an isolated position?). I'm sure I remember someone saying that they had reported it to the Town Council back then, but it's still not been fixed....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:27:59 pm by DaveR »

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2010, 05:31:29 pm »
Anyone considered where on the priorities list christmas lights come when local authorities are brutally cutting services for sick and disabled people?
Micox

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2010, 05:38:20 pm »
Someone raised this point over on Oscars blog, I noticed.

Christmas lights are the responsibility of the Town Council, not the County Council (who are responsible for social services) and, so, it's not a case of spending on one rather than the other.

One other point worth mentioning is that a lot of jobs depend on making Llandudno an attractive place for people to visit and spend money. All the workers employed by businesses in the town use their wages to pay council tax and businesses pay business rates, all of which then are used to pay for things such as social services.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2010, 05:51:02 pm »
My perspective is that of morality Dave. Anyway, district (town) councils are responsible for community wellbeing, inclusion and equality (viz, the Equality Act  2010) as well as other factors which holistically contribute to enablement and recovery. You could say christmas lights are part of that but in the context of severe financial restrictions they are proportionately unimportant (IMHO). >>>
Micox

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2010, 06:39:50 pm »
 ))* Unfortunatley the xmas lights have never been a priority too Llandudno town council Micox ,so that is why we are going to try and make it top of their list and leave politics too the cons and labour. :weeping:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2010, 08:45:53 pm »
Dave, with regard to the lights in Happy Valley which illuminate the Orme..... I can see that ''something'' is illuminating the Orme on that side, and to a lesser degree on Ty Gwyn road...   Even tonight I can see the lights are on (or something is???)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2010, 08:57:38 pm »
Those are the lights on the roof of the Tollhouse, there's another set up towards the top of Happy Valley, which are the damaged ones.

Are the Little Orme ones on?

Yorkie

« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:00 pm »
The control box for the lights was next to the Toll Gate at the North Shore end of Marine Drive.  You could turn them on and off if you could get in the box!!!    ;D