Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 201752 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 07:28:21 am »
To be fair Ian i think the shops pay their rates for the town council too provide christmas lights and so do we pay rates and look what we get,naff all.

I asked (one who should know) about the lights last night and a few things emerged.  Firstly, the business rates don't go to Llandudno TC;  they're collected by Conwy CC and then sent on to Central Government, so effectively shops ain't paying towards the lights. Secondly, the lights this year are not going to be much at all.  One reason for this is that the five-yearly safety stress testing is taking place next year, but the cost has to be borne out of this year's budget.  Finally, whenever the lights get switched on, vast numbers of bulbs vanish within a day or so, particularly from NW Island.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:22 am »
I asked (one who should know) about the lights last night and a few things emerged.  Firstly, the business rates don't go to Llandudno TC;  they're collected by Conwy CC and then sent on to Central Government, so effectively shops ain't paying towards the lights. Secondly, the lights this year are not going to be much at all.  One reason for this is that the five-yearly safety stress testing is taking place next year, but the cost has to be borne out of this year's budget.  Finally, whenever the lights get switched on, vast numbers of bulbs vanish within a day or so, particularly from NW Island.
It's still an extremely poor situation, as the decorative lighting budget is probably the largest amount of money that the Town Council spend and the results are, frankly, mediocre at best.

All this stuff about bulbs being stolen is pretty much a diversion, in my view. 90% of the bulbs are out of reach and, anyway, how do other towns manage to have successful Christmas lighting?

Last couple of years, there have been problems with large parts of the Christmas lighting simply not being switched on, presumably due to faults. Why someone from the Town Council cant just walk up and down Mostyn Street, make a note of the problems, and then pass the list on to the maintenance people, I don't know?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:35:50 am by DaveR »

Yorkie

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 09:59:34 am »
DaveR said : "Why someone from the Town Council cant just walk up and down Mostyn Street, make a note of the problems, and then pass the list on to the maintenance people, I don't know?"

Come, come Dave, of course you know, just as we all do!   ;)

They are just a load of inefficient, unconcerned, apathetic, indifferent, uninterested bunch of tossers, who get themselves elected on false promises and then do absolutely b****r all for the Community.   Many of them cannot even keep up a reasonable attendance record at Council Meetings.   Z**

And you expect them to make notes?  - Probably they are incapable of even stringing two words together on a piece of paper and will want fancy electronic memo recorders if we expect such from them.  )*)&

The whole bunch need sacking, a class of first year infants could do better!   D)

Though I would add a post script - I do belive there is one who deserves a pat on the back!   No names though!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:43 am »
 :-* Yorkie this is a bit harsh,im sure they all do a little bit of good,but trying to get the bunch of them to organise xmas lights and they are not capable.Which ever councillor Ian spoke too and accepted all that bull from them i don't know but there is no desire too improve this town when it comes too xmas lights,no matter what utter rubbish they phobe you of with. Why shop owners and managers never highlight this as it is in their buissnesses interest to make the town welcoming is beyond me. Where is the LLANDUDNO REGENERATION COMMITTEE when we need them.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 02:03:11 pm »
I think that most of the Town Councillors are decent people who mean well...but there is such a culture of gentle indifference at the Town Council that is difficult to get any real momentum going with any issue or problem.

Yorkie

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »
I think my promotion to Lieutenant must have got the better of me!   L0L

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 05:35:28 pm »
 :( Dave you could'nt have put it any better,it onlt takes the godfather to speak and the whole subject is left to rot,its as if the rest of the councillors are scared to speak out after the godfather has spoken.The big problem we have is none of them are aware there is a problem in the begining,the lights ars PATHETIC. :-[

Yorkie

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
Well maybe it is time to get rid of the Godfather, or do you mean Philip Evans?   A Town Councillor for nearly 40 years and still presiding over one of the most deprived Wards in the whole of Wales.  He does not seem to have done any better as a Member of the County Council.  He has,of course, been Mayor twice - first of the old Aberconwy and then Llandudno Council.   ))*

Give him a Rail Rover ticket and he is in Heaven!!    L0L

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 10:52:33 pm »
 :D  It would be nice for him to give us a nice new rail station,i think its taken eleven years and that is something closes too his heart so anything else has no chance. 8)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38:01 pm »
There is a Godfather in charge of the Council eh?

Perhaps he is waiting for someone to 'kiss his ring' before he moves on any of these issues.

Feel free to move that comment to ''less clean jokes''   L0L :laugh: _))*
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 08:54:22 am »
This seems the right place for it  *&(
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 05:11:42 pm »
 ;D  Please lets have some illuminated rings with tinsel on,anything to make town a bit more xmasey

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 07:42:46 am »
 :rage: Crying ,nobody cares. :( :weeping: :weeping:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 07:52:42 am »
Talking to an ex-mayor the other night, who seems to feel that the real problem is the culture al inertia that grips the council. There's a depressing acceptance that things 'can't be done', and it's that acceptance which the vast majority of the councillors simply accept and refuse to challenge.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 10:21:48 am »
The lights seem to have been on by the Clarence quite regularly. Early for this year--- or late for last?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.