Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 201709 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:53:54 pm »
 :(  Now those of you that know me will realise i love Llandudno's xmas lights with a passion,with Alworths,Pandora, Smyths toys all showing faith in Llandudno it would have been nice for the town council to have made an extra effort this year too show all the Llandudno buisnesses they appreciate their loyalty too the town and prove they have our town's best interests.Why can the council show NO interest in the town center at xmas,they insist in being the very last town too turn on the few lights they have and refuse to have the parade before december.Don't get me wrong,xmas is in December but this is a tourist and shopping town and the idea is to bring people into town and the dinosaurs in the council have no idea.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:50:44 am by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: LLANDUDNO CHRISTMAS ILLUMINATIONS
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »
You're right, as always, Wrex. Those new LED lights they bought last year were so dim that they had very little impact:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:29:25 pm »
The older type looked much better.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:28 pm »
But even then...they weren't THAT impressive were they?

The Queen of Welsh Resorts deserves a much better Xmas display than that....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:57 am »
Llandudno TC has always dragged its collective feet over the Xmas lights. Odd, considering Llandudno's status.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:42:14 pm »
 ;D Odd Ian,i thought more disgusting or pathetic or shear ignorant.Why do you think the whole town council could'nt give a damn what the town looks like at christmas,what also i cannot understand how all these shop owners and managers don't kick up a fuss,why is it left to people on a forum to disguss simple matters.Mostyn champneys and Parc Llandudno are just as bad,not a light or xmas tree between them[and Asda]. :'(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:36:28 pm »
I can help you on that last point, Rex.   In the early '90s, Alan C and a group of friends attempted to light the whole of Llandudno with the ex-Leeds lights, which Alan had managed to buy, at a bargain price. However, neither the council nor the shops were willing to cough up   for the actual hanging and connecting of the lights - which is actually what costs the money. The Vic Centre does a nice job, but getting the shops to contribute is a massive uphill battle - which it shouldn't be, since it's in their interests to do it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »
 :-[To be fair Ian i think the shops pay their rates for the town council too provide christmas lights and so do we pay rates and look what we get,naff all. :o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:18:46 am »
I take your point, Rex;  but the biggest problem doesn't seem to be the actual lights as such, but rather the putting up of said illuminations. And I do agree totally that Llandudno should be ablaze from November onwards with festive brightness.

Yorkie

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:32:42 am »
A few years ago - or to be more precise the year it cost LTC a fortune in a failed attempt to produce the ALice Themed lights - the problem of hanging the lights wa a major cost.  For Health and Safety reasons, and due to the weight of the hangings, ALL anchor points had to be fully load tested by a qualified Testing company such as Lloyds Group Testing and a full appraisal made.  New anchorages would have had to be provided in some of the old building fronts and the cost was prohibitive.  D)

I do not know whether the testing etc was actually completed but the flimsy ropes of lights we had last year would tend to indicate otherwise.

I also believe that the anchorages are still subject to Statutory testing before new lights can be installed.  Unless, of course, someone knows otherwise.

No doubt the Town Clerk will have commissioned a "RISK ASSESSMENT".    )*)&

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:24 am »
 ;)These days there can be no weight in lights,the council could use it as an excuse for not bothering,if you pick up the lights you can buy in homebase and feel the weight it is not a issue now the issue is the council have NO DESIRE toimprove the town center whatsoever,i have bleated on for the last twelve years and acheived NOWT.

Yorkie

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 12:40:32 pm »
Testing is a matter of safety and possible Public Liability.  No testing - no insurance cover!   D)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »
I believe that money was spent a year or two back on replacing the cables and their supports. If only they'd have a spent a bit more money to get some decent lights to hang on them!  ;D

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 07:27:26 am »
 ;)  Wrex's xmas light plan .    Start with a tree on the Links roundabout the gateway too Llandudno,then lights down the lamposts as far as bogisland[like Conwy bridge], then we need Mostyn Champneys,Parc Llandudno and Asda tooput illuminations along their verandas and car parks.We then have bogisland what a lovely area too illuminate over xmas .Now all we need is ONE councillor too bring the subject up in chamber and convince CllEvans and co that xmas is for children and retail,tourism .It will not spoil going too church it will make it more of a pleasure.LLANDUDNO TOWN COUNCIL PLEASE TRY TOO OBLIGE. ))*

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 12:06:24 pm »
 ::)  Cll Bertola says he is pleased with the comitment of new shops opening lets hope he and his fellow councillors comitt to the xmas lights :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:57:09 pm by Ian »