Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 201630 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #540 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »
The town council claim they are not allowed to put xmas decorations on the defunked lamps in Moatyn st because CCBC WILL NOT ALLOW,GET SOME BALLS AND TELL CCBC TO DO ONE.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #541 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:32 pm »
Lights look good on Carlton roundabout

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: November 25, 2014, 08:44:33 pm »
The town council claim they are not allowed to put xmas decorations on the defunked lamps in Moatyn st because CCBC WILL NOT ALLOW,GET SOME BALLS AND TELL CCBC TO DO ONE.
That;s right, the Victorian street lamps are not considered strong enough to bear the weight. How about CCBC refurbish them and bring them back into use instead of the ancient 1970s floodlights now used to light Mostyn Street?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #543 on: November 25, 2014, 08:49:18 pm »
Lights look good on Carlton roundabout

They were busy fitting them last night at about 10.15 p.m. They look lovely.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #544 on: November 25, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »
DavR those lights on the lamposts in Lloyd st can;t be that heavy for the victorian one;s,just an excuse

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #545 on: November 26, 2014, 09:25:26 am »
DavR those lights on the lamposts in Lloyd st can;t be that heavy for the victorian one;s,just an excuse
That's a good point. Personally, I'd like to see all the cantenaries that require so much maintenance/testing removed and instead have displays on every lamp post, tree etc along Mostyn Street.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #546 on: November 26, 2014, 05:28:06 pm »
omg please don;t go on the council

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #547 on: November 29, 2014, 05:51:13 pm »
This is my very last post on this subject,i have moaned,written and spoken to council over the last 15 years and still this town is a disgrace for a major shopping destination,i have just been to watch Llandudno fc playing in Denbigh and that small town puts ours to shame,even St Asaph looked good,i realise that Llandudno will still be here when i  am dead and buried i just pray my grandchildren get a better deal,i am too tired to waste my time anymore with the ignorant town council . 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #548 on: November 29, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »
,i realise that Llandudno will still be here when i  am dead and buried

... any idea when that is going to be Wrex?   It's just that I've been saving up to have our main bedroom decorated!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #549 on: November 30, 2014, 05:11:51 pm »
Just been through town and I see that the two Christmas trees are in darkness. Why is this, the ones in Conwy and Deganwy were all lit  and looked great.  &shake&

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #550 on: November 30, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »
Are they waiting for the big 'turn on' next Saturday.?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #551 on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:28 pm »
Saw these giant baubles at Covent Garden, looked wonderful.

Offline Jonty Hammers

« Reply #552 on: December 08, 2014, 05:38:31 pm »
Ought to ask (and it is completely out of ignorance on my part) what more can the Town Council's Christmas Lights Committee do?

Please note - I don't ask that to defend them - I'm genuinely interested. Prior to my actually logging in and setting up an account on the forum, I noted wrex's frustration with the illuminations (or lack thereof) for some time, and it seems to be a hell of a recurring problem.

What annoys me even moreso is that for all the allegations that the case is thus, the members of the Town Council aren't idiots. They live in the town, or at the very least would visit it on a regular basis. They're probably aware of the poor showing in terms of lights, but for whatever reason (maybe they've just come to accept what they get), things don't improve massively.

Do they rely on being able to pass off the all-year-round illuminations as contributing towards the Christmas offering? Do they think they can put in some, while traders and businesses will then fill up whatever gaps are left? After all, Victoria Center looks good and that (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't hit the Town Council purse.

I appreciate the importance of this - after all, as many people have pointed out, Llandudno is an important trading town AND a tourist attraction; one which is increasingly painting itself as not just the place for summery seaside fun, but a place which offers attractions throughout the year. And given the fact that coastal weather is hardly pleasing from about October to April, it needs to have another feather in its cap to draw people in - a good load of Christmas lights would help go towards that.

By that same token, I appreciate that Llandudno is not a city and does not have access to the same set of public funds as a city; nor is it having to punch in the same retail "weight category" as places such as Chester or Manchester. AND maybe the town councillors just rely on the knowledge that given that Llandudno has so many shops, in some way, lights be damned - people will come in anyway as they will want to spend at the major high-street chains such as HMV, Waterstones etc; the major offerings at places like Parc Llandudno, Mostyn Champneys and Asda AND the gamut of independent stores. As such, might they be thinking "No need to bother - we'll get footfall either way"?

Do they also pour some cash (or organise) the Christmas parade as well? Is that thought of as being a draw, which ought to be prioritised over and above the lights where spending is concerned?

Quite happy to have this explained to me as though I were a six-year-old - as always, I guess there's more going on than what's immediately on the surface.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #553 on: December 08, 2014, 09:16:45 pm »
 What more could they do.,if the desire too improve was there they could call a meeting between Mostyn estates,Parc Llandudno, Asda ,Development lot and Mostyn Champneys too see if they could come up with a plan especially for that end of town which is defuncted of any xmas items whatsoever.A few motifs on lamposts a bigger tree on bog island visable from Conwy rd,lights on the trees on bog island like the Junction roundabout,all these things are viable,but it takes a bit of effort,time and devotion which none have.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #554 on: December 08, 2014, 09:17:44 pm »
Sorry i promised too not post again,damn _))*