Author Topic: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations  (Read 201730 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Christmas Illuminations
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 09:54:03 pm »
Some Town & County Councils absolutely hate it when the citizens try and do things themselves - they think us oiks should just pay the rates and do what we're told. I say...

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »
 :(  What exactly is the LLandudno hospitality doing about the lack of xmas lights ,surely this is something their members should be telling them to pressure the town council to get their act together.If the town looks good for xmas people may stay in Llandudno and use the hotels and restaurants. )*)&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »
That's a good point, Wrex. You would have thought that the Llandudno Hospitality Association would have been pushing very hard for decent Christmas lights but we haven't heard a peep out of them. What about the Access Focus Forum or whatever it's called - have they made any representations to the Town Council? It's common sense that the town has to look attractive in order for people to want to come here and spend their money.

>?>??

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 09:23:04 pm »
There are LOADS of organisations which could conceivably be brought in to this ... even as far as the North Wales Tourist Board (who visited me recently) ... 2 very pretty, well meaning but ineffective young ladies.  They semed to have a lot of dosh to spread around.
Marketing initiatives going on as far away as London and the South Coast apparently??
Why should tourism invstment only focus on the summer months?
This town is very dead and miserable in Jan and Feb ... and well into March.   Something needs to be done about that, and more indoor facilities (particularly for kids) is the key.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 09:32:51 pm »
 :(  Considering Mostyn estates are supposed to be proud of Llandudno and have its interests at heart, how do they just sit there looking out over bogisland,seeing the lack of xmas lights and say nothing,this may prove that money is their real interest. :rage:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 09:32:43 am »
more indoor facilities (particularly for kids) is the key.

Absolutely.  Often thought that a skating rink could be a real winner.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Sara

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 08:54:22 pm »
I was thinking that myself Ian only the other day. Was going past the old Halfords and thought that if it could be extended a bit would make a great ice rink. Parking wouldn't be a problem.
I lived in Streatham, London as a teenager and we had an ice rink there, I skated 5 nights a week. Pair of Bauer hockey skates, heaven.
Keeps you fit too.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2010, 08:33:54 am »
 8)  Still waiting for Ski Llandudno to build their small icerink.Fair do's to Colwyn Bay town council they do try ,their lights are far more superior to ours and they do try iceskating ,unfortunately it did not pay,yes we know they have to make the effort unlike our own town council who just laugth at us and decide we don't need xmas lights we don't need to make any effort with the xmas parade,i can tell you now there will be nothing spectacular it will be exactly the same as last year,there is no AMBITION on the town council to improve anything in this town. :rage:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2010, 08:34:50 am »
Thing is there's an increasing number of ice rink companies setting up seasonal rinks, so it's not a massively difficult thing to do, apparently.  I imagine the refrigeration might be expensive in June - September, but that's the very time the visitors would be happy to pay.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2010, 08:38:30 am »
I was thinking that myself Ian only the other day. Was going past the old Halfords and thought that if it could be extended a bit would make a great ice rink. Parking wouldn't be a problem.
I lived in Streatham, London as a teenager and we had an ice rink there, I skated 5 nights a week. Pair of Bauer hockey skates, heaven.
Keeps you fit too.

Used to frequent an ice rink in my teens, a train ride away, but we didn't care, and it was always packed. Same even further back when an old dance hall was used as a roller skating rink--it had a wood floor and you hired skates with wooden wheels. Hellish noisy, but always busy. Perhaps it was because there wasn't any daytime telly then !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Sara

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2010, 08:51:05 am »
My Mum had a pair of those roller skates with the wooden wheels, when she used to skate at the Arcadia. I used them when I was younger. Unfortunately the wheels didn't last long on concrete, oops. 

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2010, 09:55:24 am »
True !!! :weeping:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2010, 10:54:47 am »
My Mum had a pair of those roller skates with the wooden wheels, when she used to skate at the Arcadia. I used them when I was younger. Unfortunately the wheels didn't last long on concrete, oops. 

I used to go to Forest Gate Rollers Skating Rink and also Streatham Ice Rink.  That was more than a few years ago!       ¢¢##  ¢¢##

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2010, 12:04:42 pm »
I spent most of my pocket money at the Arcadia Rink, if you got a dodgy pair of hire skates, with a small flat spot on the wheels, caused by a sideways skid, your feet would tingle for hours afterwards.   :'(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Trojan

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:27 am »
:(  Considering Mostyn estates are supposed to be proud of Llandudno and have its interests at heart, how do they just sit there looking out over bogisland,seeing the lack of xmas lights and say nothing,this may prove that money is their real interest. :rage:

VV The Town Council have made great strides since 2008 with regards to Christmas lighting Wrex, and Bog Island was one of the areas they concentrated on  VV

http://www.llandudno.gov.uk/xmas-lighting

8)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:49:34 am by Trojan »