Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625572 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1200 on: October 01, 2016, 08:48:30 am »
Let's hope that something is done before another accident occurs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-37508527

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1201 on: October 08, 2016, 11:26:01 am »
Councillor Goronwy Edwards has said today that there were health and safety issues over the number of horses,cyclists,walkers and riders on Sychnant Pass Road. He also said" It's something the authorities needs to look at" But I won't hold my breath as they are so hell bent on cutting costs, it will  take a human death for them to do anything.  :(  In the not to distant future when they start the major roadworks on the A55 everyone will use the Sychnant Pass Road to avoid the queues.
Public meeting called over Conwy road after horse dies in collision.
The meeting, called by cllr Sara Allardice, will take place from 5.30pm on Monday, October 10 at Conwy Guild Hall.
It follows a collision between a horse and a car near the Sychnant Pass Hotel on September 28, after which the horse died.
Cllr Allardice said: The aim of the meeting is to gain some clarity as to the safety of the Sychnant Pass. This follows the death of Gillian Singleton's horse, Digby, with Gillian herself narrowly escaping serious injury.

"We have been contacted my many residents who are concerned about the speed and the manner in which drivers use the Sychnant Pass.
"We hope to gather a clearer picture of the road's safety status by hearing the experiences of regular users of the road.
"We hope that this people-centric approach will help to build a fuller picture of the road's safety.

"Currently, any improvement of safety measures would tend to follow as a consequence of data collected by NW Police which is passed on the Conwy County Borough Council's Highways department.
"Such data however, does not include near-misses and therefore runs the risk of under-estimating safety levels."

After the incident on September 28 Rhian McFadden, of Llechan Farm, said: "There's a national speed limit sign on that road and every day I have so many near misses. There needs to be something done about the traffic.
"We're afraid to come out of our yards but we shouldn't be - and they want to build 100 houses on there? We're on a knife edge as it is.”  ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1202 on: October 08, 2016, 01:01:32 pm »
I really hope that the meeting is well attended and that something positive comes out of it.  The road is dangerous anyway and bad driving makes it even more so.
The proposed work on the A55 and  the ongoing problems with it will only make the position on the Sychnant Pass road even more hazardous.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1203 on: October 08, 2016, 02:13:06 pm »
Thanks for that information Steve, I will certainly be going to the meeting. It's about time someone did something about it.  $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1204 on: October 10, 2016, 04:53:15 pm »
I went to Talgoed Nursery in Glan Conwy and stopped at the layby on the way back.   That view of Conwy is one I never get tired of seeing. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1205 on: October 10, 2016, 08:57:54 pm »
I'll second that, but I also love the view of Conwy castle as you come through Gyffin ....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #1206 on: October 11, 2016, 09:02:09 am »

Taken on my wife's mobile phone when she went running along the estuary as the sun came up this morning. I almost regretted staying in bed when I saw it.
We are so lucky to have all this on the doorstep!

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1207 on: October 11, 2016, 09:42:20 am »
Can I tweet that photo please Dave?  $thanx$
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1208 on: October 11, 2016, 01:23:05 pm »
No problem Tom.Help yourself.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1209 on: October 11, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »
What a super photograph Dave, we are very lucky indeed to live in such a beautiful place.

The meeting I went to last night regarding the safety of Sychnant Pass Road was very well attended with barely enough room, as everyone was crammed in. Some very high emotions running especially from the horse riders. They spoke of some of the terrible experiences they were subjected to on a regular basis from inconsiderate drivers who speed along oblivious to the damage they cause. Gareth Wyn Jones from the BBC documentary 'The Hill Farmer' gave an excellent speech regarding the Carneddau ponies and how several have been killed and injured along the road and just left to die.
The CCBC Highways chap appeared to be oblivious to how bad the problem was, apart from the recent accident when the horse had to be put down and mentioned according to police records there were very few accidents they were aware of, so that is why nothing had been done about reducing the speed limit.There was talk the driver who hit the horse would not be prosecuted, which is a disgrace if true.
Councillors Allerdice, Fallon & McCaffrey asked people to write to the Council with their experiences and in future to report incidents and they are going to try and get the speed limit reduced from Conwy to Dwygyfylchi and more signage.
I really hope they succeed as when the work starts on the A55 roundabouts Sychnant Pass will once more turn into a rat-run for speeding motorists and of course we have the threat of nearly 100 houses being built to add to the chaos. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1210 on: October 11, 2016, 04:11:40 pm »
That was a great atmospheric photo Dave,  I bet your wife was pleased with it.

I was in Conwy today by the bowling green and noticed that the Ivy on the entrance to Benarth Hall was turning into a lovely shade of red.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1211 on: October 11, 2016, 04:20:10 pm »
It all sounds positive Meleri and people should write in to the Council with their experiences.  As for not prosecuting that person that defies belief.   He or she could easily have caused the death of the rider and it's only good luck that she wasn't killed.
I've seen riders around here wearing cameras on their safety helmets and it's not a bad thing when something like this does happen

Offline Dave

« Reply #1212 on: October 11, 2016, 06:38:12 pm »
That was a great atmospheric photo Dave,  I bet your wife was pleased with it.

I was in Conwy today by the bowling green and noticed that the Ivy on the entrance to Benarth Hall was turning into a lovely shade of red.

Wife was pleased with her photo Hugo , I was pleased she was in a hurry to meet her running pal and didn't have time to drink her bedside coffee so I had two cups whilst reading the news on my Kindle. Can't beat it!
I think that's Virginia Creeper not Ivy. The former isn't as destructive as Ivy in as much as it doesn't send roots in to the walls. The deciduous leaves change colour and drop off unlike Ivy which is an evergreen.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1213 on: October 12, 2016, 08:47:46 am »
Call for 30mph on Sychnant Pass.    The Police have already confirmed that the driver will not be prosecuted which seems strange in the circumstances since the driving conditions were good and the driver left the scene before the Police arrived.

https://newsdesk.moreover.com/click/?p=Q1QyL2E9MjgyNTE2OTc1MjImcD0xNGUmdj0xJng9RFhwNkR0TjNyVlZKa0xiLTRrSTRudyZ1MT1ORCZ1Mj1nMTEwOA&a=28251697522&f=TmV3cw&s=ZXhwb3J0&u=ZXIubmV3bWVkaWFAYmJjLmNvLnVr&cn=QkJDIE5FV1MgT05MSU5F&ci=334&i=283&e=Tm9ydGggV2FsZXMgRGFpbHkgUG9zdA&d=685&t=3&k=36145&ck=f37a101c23d1c00eb55fce8bfad8d0db

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1214 on: October 12, 2016, 08:55:57 am »
Very strange.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.