Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626665 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1140 on: September 17, 2015, 02:30:01 pm »
Llandudno still holds the record for worst busker EVER. With that youngster who looks like a reject from Sum41 and his awful wailings.
Are you forgetting about the whiskery guy outside KFC?

You don't mean the great Ian Ryland do you?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/buskers-talent-street-entertainer-rock-6327458

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #1141 on: September 17, 2015, 11:52:10 pm »
Wonder if he declared his earnings when signing on every fortnight ?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1143 on: October 21, 2015, 10:53:10 am »
Costa Coffee, Spar shop and the Fat Face store

Is this true? Does the bookies not count as a shop then?

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1144 on: October 21, 2015, 06:19:11 pm »
Costa Coffee, Spar shop and the Fat Face store

Is this true? Does the bookies not count as a shop then?

Mountain Warehouse is part of a chain with branches right across the UK and Europe and Craft Centre Cymru is part of the Edinburgh Woollen Mill group. 

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/stores/?k=conwy
http://www.ewm.co.uk/store-finder/index/storedetail/id/276/

p.s. If the editor of the Daily Post is reading this I'm willing to offer my services for an appropriate consideration.  I may not be a trained journalist but I am capable of doing a modicum of research (there's this new fangled invention called "Google") and I know how to use a spell checker so I can't do any worse than your current cohort of "journalists".
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1145 on: October 21, 2015, 06:47:08 pm »
The survey - which was picked up by several nationals - was not the work of the Daily Post; the Post merely translated the findings of the Local Data Company into an easy-read article. Their methodology is stated on the final page and I suspect it would be unreasonable to expect the DP - given its deadlines - to double check every survey prior to printing. But here's what the Local data company say about how they garnered the information:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1146 on: October 21, 2015, 07:26:47 pm »
The survey - which was picked up by several nationals - was not the work of the Daily Post; the Post merely translated the findings of the Local Data Company into an easy-read article. Their methodology is stated on the final page and I suspect it would be unreasonable to expect the DP - given its deadlines - to double check every survey prior to printing. But here's what the Local data company say about how they garnered the information:

The story on the Post website is credited to Mari Jones.  She is apparently the North Wales Weekly News reporter covering Conwy, Llandudno Junction, Deganwy and the Conwy Valley and I'm assuming she's based in the office that's located about five minutes walk from Conwy.  I'm not a reporter covering Conwy but I realised the survey was flawed so I'd certainly expect someone who is paid to act as a reporter covering the town to notice those flaws as well.  I'm guessing she must spend far more time there than I do.  Unless of course the modern definition of reporter is "a person who blindly cuts and pastes copy from third parties and tries to pass it off as news" in which case you might have a point.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1147 on: October 26, 2015, 08:09:30 am »
Fat Andy, you may be closer to the truth than you think with your comment "a person who blindly cuts and pastes copy from third parties and tries to pass it off as news" - I knew regional journalists for national papers who listened to local radio for items that they blindly reported to their head office. With the availability of the internet, journalists, or 'stringers', rarely visit the scene. I knew one free lance journalist who lived, worked and never ventured from deepest Pembrokeshire but wrote convincingly on articles with locations all over the U.K.

On another note, are there any reports from the Conwy Food Festival? I was away for the weekend but returned yesterday afternoon to find traffic queuing off the A55 to cross the cob and many vehicles parked in Deganwy... It appears that the park and ride might not have been that popular! 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1148 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:49 am »
It was brilliant  $good$

Genuinely the best event that has ever been in the area, no over zealous security that has dampened other Conwy festivals and more stalls and choice, people and music than you could hope for.

Even the fireworks were good

Offline squiggle

« Reply #1149 on: October 30, 2015, 12:08:17 pm »
May be the exception to the rule but there was a brilliant busker in Conwy near Plas Mawr this afternoon.
Song a bunch of folk classics, even did a couple of Christy Moore 

Ride On for CM?

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #1150 on: October 30, 2015, 11:19:45 pm »
Living in the town, not allowed double glazing forced to listed to assorted beggers in every room of your house is a nightmare, some rough young lads moved here recently, not my cup of tea at all, but they did go and chase off a busker the other week, shouting at him f' off squeeze box, he had been busking from 9 till 5 . good or bad but enforced listening is bad. &shake&

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1151 on: December 24, 2015, 08:53:09 pm »
Stunningly beautiful fireworks from Conwy Castle tonight, an excellent display. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1152 on: December 24, 2015, 09:03:14 pm »
Had no idea that was on..... wouldn't have minded seeing that!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1153 on: December 26, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »
Fester, it's on every Christmas Eve. Starts about 6pm with carols etc in Lancaster Square and then everyone processes to the Vicarage gardens car park to see Father Christmas followed by fireworks about 7pm.
Particularly good this time and the weather held out just long enough.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1154 on: December 26, 2015, 05:19:42 pm »
Cheers Stan,  I knew about the Santa visit.... but didn't know Fireworks were on.   
I shall remember that in future.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -