Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625940 times)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1080 on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:09 am »
Sir Terry was in the Castle Hotel in Conwy last night - I think it was with his crew. Apparently he stayed there while he filmed his food show.

My food was excellent once again (Conwy Lamb Henry).
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1081 on: June 24, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »
Perhaps Tillymint can confirm this... 

I was told that the rent in The Liverpool arms was something like £1800 PER WEEK, to be paid to the leasing company, before even buying the beer... which was a separate purchase through the brewery.

If the figure was anything like that, then how can anyone even attempt to make a living??

It is so greedy and so ridiculous that hard working folk are subjected to terms like that.... and then evicted when they 'mysteriously' fail to make money!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1082 on: June 29, 2015, 09:26:40 pm »
WATCH: Conwy named most beautiful place in the UK

The medieval town has won the hearts of Japanese officials who chose it from a list of almost 160 places.

The World Heritage site was the only UK destination to make the short list and will now be promoted as a must see stop for Japanese tourists.

Photos of iconic sites, including the castle and the smallest house in Britain, will be displayed at the country’s Tourism Expo in Tokyo this November – which attracted 157,589 visitors last year.

Politicians and local business owners have welcomed the accolade as “huge news for the town” and an excellent way to promote Wales.
Roy Williams, head custodian of the iconic Conwy Castle said the recognition was “exciting” as it should bring in more Japanese visitors who often stop in the walled city of Chester.

Mr Williams said 180,000 people visited the Edwardian castle last year, with more visitors from eastern Europe and Russia exploring the battlements than before.
He said: “This is going to lead to a new market, I’m not sure we see as many as we should here really.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/incoming/watch-conwy-named-most-beautiful-9551420

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1083 on: June 29, 2015, 11:01:26 pm »
I'm not sure you can call it an 'Edwardian Castle', although in one sense it is...
Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1084 on: June 29, 2015, 11:15:44 pm »
Well, I live in an Elizabethan bungalow!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1085 on: June 30, 2015, 08:58:54 am »
Whilst we were looking round Plas Mawr, I looked out of the window and wondered myself what is happening with the former Palace Cinema & Bingo Club? It closed down several years ago and nothing seems to have happened since. I noticed that both shops at the front of the building are still let (an ice cream shop has recently opened in the left-hand one), as is Amelie's Restaurant in the old theatre bar above. Shame to see such a grand building falling slowly into decay.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/22947

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1086 on: July 01, 2015, 11:37:06 am »
On Tuesday, we decided to abandon work for the day, and have a wander around Conwy.

I parked in that little lay-by on the cob, and on returning to my car, I could see that the gate that leads down to Telford's bridge was open.  I have never seen it open before.
So, I walked through, onto the bridge, and was able to get these pictures of the bridge from an angle I have never been able to see before.
I am always amazed by how these things were constructed and anchored into the castle rock, almost 200 years ago.

Fester...

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1087 on: July 10, 2015, 07:47:06 pm »
Frustrated Conwy parent draws guide to dog poo on path

A detailed map offering a guide to the dog poo left on a Conwy path has been drawn by one frustrated local.
Frustrated parent James Astrop posted the sketch on Facebook to illustrate how bad things have got on the path in the shadow of Conwy Castle.
He’s supporting a campaign called Parents Against Dog Fouling to banish the scourge.
Conwy County Borough Council say they are aware of the problem near Ysgol Porth y Felin in Gyffin.
The Facebook map uses tasteful stars to represent piles of smelly excrement.
One caption states that a pile is “fresh today outside the school gate”.
MORE /MAP http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/frustrated-conwy-parent-draws-guide-9631355

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1088 on: July 10, 2015, 08:35:40 pm »
Great idea,  no excuse for it!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1089 on: July 11, 2015, 08:48:56 am »
He’s supporting a campaign called Parents Against Dog Fouling to banish the scourge.

Yes, but he needs a catchier acronym. Parents Against Dog Fouling - PADF, whereas Parents Against Dog Droppings - PADD; altogether more canine in nature, apart from being easier to pronounce.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #1090 on: July 11, 2015, 09:41:07 am »
PADS

I'll let you work out what the S stands for !!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1091 on: July 11, 2015, 11:27:12 am »
 L0L L0L L0L
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1092 on: July 13, 2015, 04:12:53 pm »
A new gate has been installed on the Conwy side of the RSPB reserve: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/conwy/b/conwy-blog/archive/2015/07/13/a-new-arrival.aspx

It lets people out (of the reserve), but not in. Difficult to tell from the photo how far along the estuary path it is. I sometimes walk from Conwy to Llandudno Junction's Tesco store, taking a short cut which takes me over the road/rail footbridge, along the estuary path towards RSPB (but not quite into it) and then cutting across a grass hill to the roundabout by the entrance to RSPB and then on to Tesco. Hope it still lets me do this.

Offline Jack

« Reply #1093 on: July 13, 2015, 05:04:02 pm »
It is in exactly the same position as their last gate.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1094 on: July 13, 2015, 05:12:00 pm »
Ah, there was already a gate there? I don't recall seeing one. Presumably it's a bit further along the path than I'm thinking of.