Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626090 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1005 on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:51 am »
Good to see that the Fountain in the Square has been restored to working order after many years of disuse:

I counted about £3.75 in loose change in the fountain (presumably chicked in by tourists)

Did you fish it out B2R?   Seeing as the darts subs has gone up AGAIN this week,  to £2.00!  :laugh:

Never!!! Well I'm not doing the donkey work myself I've got you a fishing rod instead

Give a man his subs and he'll come pestering you again for suns the next week
Give a man a fishing rod.......

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1006 on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:06 pm »
Ha ha... amusing B2R,  as was your ludicrous 'threat' last night to retire from local darts.   :laugh: :laugh:

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1007 on: April 27, 2014, 08:00:02 pm »
Looks like I spoke too soon. The fountain is not working again and the bowl is full of stagnant water.  &shake&

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1008 on: April 27, 2014, 09:58:35 pm »
Looks like I spoke too soon. The fountain is not working again and the bowl is full of stagnant water.  &shake&

Don't tell the council or they'll fill it with quarry stones!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1009 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:09 am »
 _))* Like it !!!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline JohnD

« Reply #1010 on: May 19, 2014, 07:57:57 pm »
Hello everyone,  I'm new to this forum - joined today -  so I hope I'm posting this is the right place !

I am currently writing a book about Conwy which is due to be published in October so I am now doing a lot of work on it.  I already have my own collection of old postcards and some old photos but I am looking for more. I am already getting help from many people but  I have seen a few pictures on this forum, particularly of some of the shops as they were in the past.  I would very much like to use some of these in the book if the owners would give me permission.  As this will be my second published book, I am well aware of copyright requirements and I will not breach copyright so I would want to know the copyright situation of any photo anyone lends me.   

I am also still searching for old postcards which I would be prepared to buy or borrow.  I know there are many old postcards around,  but as I am sure many of you will know that the locations of old commercial postcards of Conwy tend to be limited to about five locations:-  Castle, bridges, Plas Mawr, Aberconwy House, Smallest House.

I hope there is someone here who can help.   Thank you in advance.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1011 on: May 24, 2014, 06:09:58 pm »
I wonder what the story is of this boat;
 Tied up at the high water mark near Conway Town ?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1012 on: May 24, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »
That's the Grey Lady, been there for years, sadly some morons set fire to her a couple of years ago!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1013 on: May 24, 2014, 11:20:36 pm »
Cheers Merddin Emrys
Must have been someones pride and joy

Was she a cruiser or trawler ?

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1014 on: May 25, 2014, 07:57:07 pm »
She was a fishing boat.

Picture before fire

and more here

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #1015 on: June 04, 2014, 11:44:44 pm »
I came across the following article. Does anyone know if the "lucky stone" is still on the quay?

Weekly News and Visitors Chronicle - 27th July 1900
The Magic Stone - Although it has been almost forgotten, Conway has, like many other places, its magic stone. From time immemorial, it has been embedded on the Quay, and has recently been neglected. The attention of a Committee of the Corporation was drawn to it a day or two ago, through the inquiries of a visitor, and, with praiseworthy promptitude, the stone has been replaced in its original position on the Quay. The "oldest inhabitants" have known it since their birth, and attribute to it various charms. All call it "the lucky stone,' and agree that, if a stranger puts a foot on it, return to Conway is inevitable. Many say that a stranger will never leave Conway, and give incidents in proof. By some aged persons, its charms, in all simplicity, are still believed. It is marked by a plain cross which is directed to the cardinal points, and the present Harbour-master (Mr Evan Evans) has in recent years assisted mariners who doubted the correctness of their compasses, to test them in a rough way by the magic stone of Conway."

Offline kgem

« Reply #1016 on: June 05, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »
Yes the lucky stone is still on the quay it is embedded in concrete at the top of the steps by the telescope.
It was originally the last stone on the old quay wall outside the Liverpool arms.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #1017 on: June 05, 2014, 10:23:05 pm »
Thanks for the information 'kgem' - good news. I look forward to visiting the stone next time I'm on the quay. I wonder if the tourist office know of its existence - I presume the Town Council do.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #1018 on: June 09, 2014, 08:16:18 pm »
Yes the lucky stone is still on the quay it is embedded in concrete at the top of the steps by the telescope.
It was originally the last stone on the old quay wall outside the Liverpool arms.

I found the lucky stone last weekend! Unfortunately I was rather underwhelmed. I will leave you to look at the photographs and make your own judgement.

I asked my father, who is Conwy born and bred, if he had ever heard of the stone but he had not.

If the stone formed part of the original quay wall I presume it dates from 1833. In comparison to other stones in the town, a relative newbie  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1019 on: June 24, 2014, 05:08:53 pm »
Conwy cafe owner brandished knives in street and made threats to kill

Jun 23, 2014 16:30
By Eryl Crump

A cafe owner brandished a kitchen knife in each hand while walking down a busy street threatening that she was “going to kill someone”.

Christina Nichols was spared prison today after admitting shouting, swearing and making the threats.

Nichols admitting charges of affray and having a blade in a public place when she appeared at Caernarfon Crown Court.

The court was told she made the threats  after emerging from the cafe she owns in Conwy just after 9.15pm on March 8.

CCTV footage showed her go back into the cafe and re-emerge with the knives.

When a woman in a passing car asked if she was all right, Nichols said: “No, I’m going to kill someone, I'm going to kill you.”

She then struck the car three times with one of the large bladed knives. The shocked woman drove away.

Judge Niclas Parry said: “You must understand that what you did was extremely serious. You were out of control and could have caused catastrophic injuries. Those who use knives in North Wales can expect custody but your case is exceptional.”

The judge heard Nichols, of High Street, Conwy, was depressed at her failing business and had got drunk that evening because of the low takings the cafe had taken during the day.

He added: “This is a truly sad case. You have lived a good life with no previous convictions, worked hard and overcome personal difficulties. Mercifully no one was injured.”

In addition to an eight- month suspended jail term, Nichols was ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid community work and will be supervised by probation officers during the next year.

Outlining the case, prosecutor Richard Edwards said witnesses saw Nichols walking in the street shouting and swearing. “She was saying she was going to kill someone and made reference to a barking dog.

“She went back into the cafe and re-emerged holding a knife in each hand and appeared very stressed. It was then one of the witnesses, the woman in a car, asked if she was OK,” he said.

Police were called and when officers arrived they saw Nichols pacing up and down and asked her to put the knives down. “She did as they asked and she was arrested.

Interviewed later she said she had been drinking heavily and was very depressed due to her failing business but had little recollection of the incident,” he added.

The judge ordered the knives be forfeited and destroyed.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-cafe-owner-brandished-knives-7312932