Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625564 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #945 on: November 15, 2013, 10:41:54 am »
Sounds a bit dicey Fester.  :o
I have to admit that the card machine which I use in the Charity shop is quite efficient. It is certainly easier than the vagaries of the new till which we had installed, in the fact that there are less procedures to go through and it doesn't all of a sudden decide to take its bat home and not do as you ask it to. The main problem is if a power cut occurs, or if the central system which covers all 14 shops goes down. Then we are faffing about with till keys,sheets of paper and hand written receipts. Not good if a queue is forming ! Also obviously only cash can be accepted.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #946 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:17 am »
The contactless option frightens many customers, has no PIN number to aid security, and has only ever been used once in my shop. 
Contactless transactions will occasionally ask for a PIN number, as a security measure. They also have a limit of £20.

Offline dingo20

Re: Community TV -
« Reply #947 on: November 22, 2013, 10:24:47 am »
Good luck with this good to get some local news and what on in the area

Offline Huw Pritchard

« Reply #948 on: December 27, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »
I've gone in my bank branch about twice in the last 10 years, so maybe they have a point?

Like it or not things are changing - certainly in commerce - and it's little wonder that First Direct, a bank with no branches anywhere, is consistently rated more highly than any other by its customers. Fewer and fewer use branches, and branches cost a lot of money to keep going. The main function branches now serve is for the physical receipt of cash, so that's unlikely to change so long as someone, somewhere uses cash. But tiny businesses still use cash, and forcing the installation of NFC card readers that use 3G to check is almost certainly coming.

But the cashless society isn't yet upon us, despite HMRC's urging, so the banks need to consider alternatives to closing down the ATMs everywhere.

The needs of the business have sometimes been forgotten here. Very small businesses, which rely on cash transactions, still need to bank cash, get change (and perhaps get business advice) which they would get from a local bank. Unless the Post Office gets its act together, these services (the first two anyway) will be lost to HSBC business customers in Conwy when the branch closes.

It's not all about tourists!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #949 on: December 29, 2013, 12:11:19 pm »
I've gone in my bank branch about twice in the last 10 years, so maybe they have a point?

Like it or not things are changing - certainly in commerce - and it's little wonder that First Direct, a bank with no branches anywhere, is consistently rated more highly than any other by its customers. Fewer and fewer use branches, and branches cost a lot of money to keep going. The main function branches now serve is for the physical receipt of cash, so that's unlikely to change so long as someone, somewhere uses cash. But tiny businesses still use cash, and forcing the installation of NFC card readers that use 3G to check is almost certainly coming.

But the cashless society isn't yet upon us, despite HMRC's urging, so the banks need to consider alternatives to closing down the ATMs everywhere.

The needs of the business have sometimes been forgotten here. Very small businesses, which rely on cash transactions, still need to bank cash, get change (and perhaps get business advice) which they would get from a local bank. Unless the Post Office gets its act together, these services (the first two anyway) will be lost to HSBC business customers in Conwy when the branch closes.

It's not all about tourists!
Several banks offer business banking via the Post Office, including Santander. You can pay in cash/cheques, get change etc.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #950 on: February 19, 2014, 02:51:08 pm »
HSBC has now closed along with the cash point.  The only cash point in Conwy at the moment is in Spar but the manager there is having a nightmare due to the fact they fill the machine themselves......he put £700 in on Monday morning and by 12.30 it was empty again!! He only lets you have £20 cash back and you can't blame him really.  A cash p[oint is being installed on the Square where the telephone boxes are sited but that won't be in place till March.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #951 on: February 19, 2014, 08:44:22 pm »
I took a walk over to Pen the other week along the Cycle path from Conwy.  It was very windy but me and Jj were wrapped up well and at least it wasn't raining.  As we approached the Beacons I noticed the public toilets were open (a rarity for Conwy)  so thinking it was the last stop before the long stretch I decided I'd best use it.........then realised what a disgusting state it was in!! I decided to give it a miss.  Those toilets are a disgrace god knows when they last had a clean? 
We carried on and in a short while came to three figures cast in metal,  the figures are LLewelyn the Great, Thomas Telford and Margaret Williams.  I didn't know they were there and neither it seems does Margaret and some members of her family?  Margaret Williams was a Fleet Street reporter for many years and has written childrens books based on the local area,  a real Conwy Character.  The other two were quite important in the Conwy area too hehe.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline hollins

« Reply #952 on: February 19, 2014, 08:49:05 pm »
I have missed your tales and adventures with your little dog. Great that you are back!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #953 on: February 19, 2014, 09:28:34 pm »
Thanks Hollins........Jj and I have had loads of adventures.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #954 on: February 20, 2014, 08:49:36 am »
Lovely to see him and to have you back Pen. ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #955 on: February 20, 2014, 09:21:22 am »
HSBC has now closed along with the cash point.  The only cash point in Conwy at the moment is in Spar but the manager there is having a nightmare due to the fact they fill the machine themselves......he put £700 in on Monday morning and by 12.30 it was empty again!! He only lets you have £20 cash back and you can't blame him really.  A cash p[oint is being installed on the Square where the telephone boxes are sited but that won't be in place till March.

It's strange that a town like Conwy should be down to it's last cash machine when over the river in Llandudno there are at least six that I can think of.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #956 on: February 20, 2014, 09:34:29 am »
Barclays, Sainsburys Local, NatWest, HSBC, M&S, RBS, Santander, Lloyds, Nationwide and Asda (2) plus the two new phonebox ATM’s outside Vollams and Caffe Nero makes 13 unless someone is aware of anymore in Llandudno.  D)

I believe there is another one in Venue Cymru and another outside the Oriental Convenience Store in C-y-D.

Not one on Parc Llandudno or Mostyn Champneys.  &shake&

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #957 on: February 20, 2014, 10:15:34 am »
Oops, I missed the "Junction" out of "Llandudno Junction"  :-[.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #958 on: February 20, 2014, 12:12:12 pm »
Barclays, Sainsburys Local, NatWest, HSBC, M&S, RBS, Santander, Lloyds, Nationwide and Asda (2) plus the two new phonebox ATM’s outside Vollams and Caffe Nero makes 13 unless someone is aware of anymore in Llandudno.  D)

I believe there is another one in Venue Cymru and another outside the Oriental Convenience Store in C-y-D.

Not one on Parc Llandudno or Mostyn Champneys.  &shake&

If you're including pay cash machines - which I think VC and CYD are, then there are lots more than that.
Club 147 and Wetherspoons for example

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #959 on: February 20, 2014, 02:19:02 pm »
Where exactly is it in Wetherspoons?