Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 637733 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #870 on: June 25, 2013, 09:46:06 am »
SEWERAGE contractors have uncovered the remains of a medieval wall and house in Conwy .

Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water’s contractors William Hughes had been working in the historic town’s Castle Street for several weeks.

Now the contractors, alongside Gwynedd Archeological Trust (GAT) experts, have unearthed the cobbles from the wall and a medieval building’s foundations which could date from the time of the world famous 13th century Conwy Castle.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/workmen-find-remains-ancient-medieval-4707901

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #871 on: July 24, 2013, 05:25:20 pm »
Can anyone tell me what's happening at the Malt Loaf on Rose Hill Street? I tried to get a pint there for the second time this afternoon and it was locked and looked very empty. I've been doing the Conwy real ale trail and needed a pint there to finish it and claim my tee-shirt.  Z**
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #872 on: July 29, 2013, 02:03:10 pm »
The council working hard in conwy marina. Wonder when the last time this bin was emptied

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #873 on: July 29, 2013, 03:08:20 pm »
They are just NOT on an even keel, but are leaning over sideways to help.   They maybe don't empty bins in order that folk drop their litter all over the area, and those employed by them to administer the litter laws, can swell the coffers of CCBC and help to make up some of the deficit from their wild spending sprees!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline dwsi

« Reply #874 on: July 31, 2013, 11:49:07 am »
Work is due to start in September on the Black Lion in Castle Street, Conwy  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #875 on: July 31, 2013, 10:42:02 pm »
Work is due to start in September on the Black Lion in Castle Street, Conwy  $good$

With a view to creating what, Dwsi?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #876 on: August 01, 2013, 12:51:50 am »
I forgot to ask about that vital piece information  &shake&

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #877 on: August 01, 2013, 11:06:55 pm »
This reply made me smile  ;D Good news for the town though.

On a totally unrelated subject, I posted the following on Twitter earlier today:

“Perusing some lovely old pics of Conwy got me wondering 'how many jackdaws are still alive'? My Nanna was the last in our family d2001 95yrs”

Any jackdaws on here?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #878 on: August 09, 2013, 09:26:59 am »
I believe the Black Lion is to become a private house.

True story: I was in the Archway Fish & Chips Shop yesterday. A woman comes in, looks around for a few seconds, and then says 'is this a chip shop?'. Everyone in the shop paused for a few seconds in order to consider what a suitable response might be. :laugh:

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #879 on: August 09, 2013, 09:34:17 am »
Bet she was in Poundland earlier this week.
I overheard
"How much is this ?"
 :o :o :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #880 on: August 09, 2013, 11:00:11 am »
Bet she was in Poundland earlier this week. I overheard
"How much is this ?"

I asked that, once;  the assistant said "Everything's a pound" to which I replied, "Oh, right.  I'll take everything then...".

Well, they say the old ones are the best...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #881 on: August 12, 2013, 05:03:13 am »
Bet she was in Poundland earlier this week. I overheard
"How much is this ?"

I asked that, once;  the assistant said "Everything's a pound" to which I replied, "Oh, right.  I'll take everything then...".

Well, they say the old ones are the best...

$lol$ They certainly are.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #882 on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »
St Agnes Road Graveyard, Conwy - WARNING

My husband and I with dog in tow, visited the oldest section of graveyard. This part is neglected and extensively overgrown therefore I was surprised to find as you go through the old gate a path had been cleared to the right along side the high stone wall. I followed the path to approximately 2/3rds of the way down with my husband and dog following behind. He stopped to read a grave and suddenly noticed the dog was covered in wasps – she was standing on the nest which was in a hole underground in the path. My husband ran back up the path with the dog and as I was ahead and trapped the other side of the swarm, I ran further down the path into the undergrowth. I scrambled through the brambles and nettles for about half an hour trying to find an alternative way out, all the time worrying I was going to fall into a sunken grave as it was difficult to see where I was putting my feet and it was beginning to get dark. It began to dawn on me the only way out was back through the swarm, I had no choice but to wait for the wasps to ‘calm down’ a bit and run back up the only path out. It sounds quite comical now but I wanted to warn other people as we noticed a few graves along this path appeared to have been tended recently.

I rang Bron-y-Nant in Mochdre but was informed as this part belongs to the Church it is not the responsibility of the Council and I should contact St Mary’s Vicarage in Conwy. I spoke to Peter Jones (the Vicar?) and understandably he was not quite sure what was to be done about it but would make a few enquires. I suggested at the very least a laminated sign could be put on the gate to warn other people.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #883 on: September 09, 2013, 11:22:07 pm »
Falling into sunken graves??? Swarms of wasps??   What is this a Hammer Horror film?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Linda

« Reply #884 on: September 10, 2013, 12:07:28 am »
St Agnes Road Graveyard, Conwy - WARNING

My husband and I with dog in tow, visited the oldest section of graveyard. This part is neglected and extensively overgrown therefore I was surprised to find as you go through the old gate a path had been cleared to the right along side the high stone wall. I followed the path to approximately 2/3rds of the way down with my husband and dog following behind. He stopped to read a grave and suddenly noticed the dog was covered in wasps

Thanks for that warning my daughter with her toddler and baby walked through there today, watching a tree being cut down i think, as she said my grandson was really interested what the men were doing. I will warn her not to cut thro for a while. Sounds a bit dodgy at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:36:19 am by Ian »