Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626072 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #765 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:50 pm »
There's no such thing as "Conwy County" - it's a County Borough and the term is not used by Royal Mail as an address.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #766 on: July 16, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »
     Well ---- that has well and truly put my riddle making in the can. Apologies to anyone who might have spent time thinking about it.   But I have yet to see any letter addressed Conwy COUNTY.   The Quay is universally known as Conwy Quay. I could'nt spell Frigate.   And in any case I didnt ask for the correct address.   I just asked where my Quay and 4 Conwys was situated.
    Never mind, it may have some of you a bit of a laugh. Mike

The question was fine as far as I'm concerned, I think Yorkie is being pedantic because you didn't accept his answer. I find it funny that he accepts Conwy Quay when he used it as an answer but then insists it is The Quay (not Conwy Quay) when it was deemed incorrect.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #767 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:10 pm »
I imagine Mike regrets ever asking the question in the first place now...  :laugh:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #768 on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:50 am »
     Well ---- that has well and truly put my riddle making in the can. Apologies to anyone who might have spent time thinking about it.   But I have yet to see any letter addressed Conwy COUNTY.   The Quay is universally known as Conwy Quay. I could'nt spell Frigate.   And in any case I didnt ask for the correct address.   I just asked where my Quay and 4 Conwys was situated.
    Never mind, it may have some of you a bit of a laugh. Mike

The question was fine as far as I'm concerned, I think Yorkie is being pedantic because you didn't accept his answer. I find it funny that he accepts Conwy Quay when he used it as an answer but then insists it is The Quay (not Conwy Quay) when it was deemed incorrect.

WRONG!  There is a place called Conwy Quay but the correct POSTAL address is The Quay, Conwy!

There's no such thing as "Conwy County" - it's a County Borough and the term is not used by Royal Mail as an address.

Conwy actually seems to be missing as a County as most mail still seems to be addressed as Gwynedd!  The "County" was dropped from the address shortly after its inception.  Nowadays if an address contains a Post Code the County does not need to be included.

No criticism of Mike, it was an interesting question and I hope he will continue to ask lots more!   ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #769 on: July 17, 2012, 01:36:22 pm »
Just seen festers question how do I define locals.  Well non Russians actually!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #770 on: August 03, 2012, 11:28:04 am »
I had a coffee from Cafe Culture Conwy yesterday.  I have to say mind people are not too impressed that they put tables and chairs out on the pavement though....lots of moaning going on and to be fair they are an obstruction people with prams having to maneuver round them and mobility scooter have no chance but I'm sure they'll sort it....or the council will   .  However the coffee was lovely and it's made a positive difference to Lancaster Square with the marble facade.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline dwsi

« Reply #771 on: August 03, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »
It will defiantly attract more people to the square but a few locals i've spoken to are boycotting the cafe because of who the owner is.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #772 on: August 04, 2012, 11:31:06 am »
yes a few locals have told me the same Dwsi but to be honest most are the type who wouldn't really frequent a coffee shop anyway. 
Dickens got the Councils back up when he dressed a judge and a copper up in suspenders etc and used them as a window display, then spread the rumor he was to open a sex shop on the square in protest over not getting planning permission to open a coffee shop.  This caused uproar amongst the locals who were truly horrified at the thought of this den of disrepute opening on the square.  If I'm honest I thought it was funny as of course this would never happen in a million years, it was merely a ploy to get his own way with the council.  The ploy however backfired with the Council determined to bring down Dickens for taking the mick, which they inevitably did.  Press releases were given to the Weekly news who as we know are notoriously bias towards the council.  You can't believe everything you read.   

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #773 on: August 04, 2012, 11:36:29 am »
I've always found Steve very pleasant to talk to.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #774 on: August 04, 2012, 11:48:20 am »
Demolition work has started on Billingtons Garage.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #775 on: August 04, 2012, 11:52:32 am »
I've always found Steve very pleasant to talk to.
So have I, Gezzy knows him better than me and he says he's ok too.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #776 on: August 05, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »
The flower beds along Conwy Cob are covered with weeds so high you can barely see the flowers anymore! At the height of the tourist season too - it just says 'we don't care' to visitors!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #777 on: August 06, 2012, 08:39:04 am »
Oh dear-- you'll have Wrex walking the dog to Conwy !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #778 on: August 10, 2012, 05:40:52 pm »
Via local BBC reporter Chris Dearden
Ex-Barclays on the High Street in Conwy is being refurbished which will take several weeks. Upstairs to be converted into new flats. The work will include a new roof and re-wiring.

A little job for the local history buffs. The building frontage looks like a warehouse, what is the history of this building?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #779 on: August 11, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »
Well it was definitely owned and occupied by Barclays Bank between 1957 and1959. I worked in it.
  Most branches in North Wales were opened in the early 1920s. Unlike shall we say Midland, who arrived through takeovers in that case Noth and South Wales Bank.
  The frontage is absolutely typical of a 1920s bank.  Mike