Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626208 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #720 on: April 26, 2012, 01:26:26 am »
There's a helicopter flying round near the Quay in Conwy?  I'ts been there for the last at least half an hr.  Does anyone know what's happened?  I could have sworn there was a link on here that reported on their latest maneuvers.  I  hope it's not serious  :o
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline markankers

« Reply #721 on: May 05, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »
is it possible to get a grave index for st anges conway. the graves that are covered with brambles. i was looking for my g/gandmother Kate Jones grave for my ancestory reserch. i traveled from middlewich cheshire, to find the graves un-accesable.
regards
               mark

Offline Huw Pritchard

« Reply #722 on: May 06, 2012, 08:19:26 am »
Re the enquiry about the index to St Agnes - yes, it looks like the Gwynedd Family History Soc have done one. See http://www.gwyneddfhs.org/

Offline dwsi

« Reply #723 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:28 pm »
After 20 years the Dragons Back race is race is back in September.
It is thought to be the toughest mountain running event. Closely following the original route, the race will start at Conwy Castle in the north and trace the mountainous spine of Wales southwards, over 5 days with approximately 200 miles and 45,000 feet of ascent, to finish at Carreg Cennen Castle.
http://bit.ly/IH6n3R
 $walesflag$
15 minute video of the orignal race
http://youtu.be/KD6ywokYbqI

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #724 on: May 13, 2012, 05:30:52 pm »
A very colourful market on the Quay this morning. A pleasure to meet Mr & Mrs Bri Roberts again as I was wandering around, too.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #725 on: May 19, 2012, 12:57:31 am »
Today, there is a Pirate themed day in Conwy.

Only on Friday was I shown the flyer, but it looks like a superb event for all the family.

There are loads of events, stalls and attractions going on, but I was unaware of it until Friday.
Amongst the many attractions are a Hog Roast, a Quay Market, a Keg carrying competition, a slave market !  :o
Lots of things for the kids and adults alike...  I wish I wasn't working now!!

I hope, despite poor publicity once again, that it it is a great success.

EDIT!!!  EDIT!! .... I have just noticed that Dave R posted about this on the Forum on May 15th...  $good$
But, other than that I don't think that the organisers made a great job of publicising it...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #726 on: May 19, 2012, 09:06:56 am »
It's been all over Facebook for a while, that's where I heard about it.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #727 on: May 19, 2012, 11:43:38 am »
Personally this is the first I have heard about it. Mike

Offline kgem

« Reply #728 on: May 19, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »
Very busy on the quay today with the pirate weekend. its a pity they chose this week to dredge the harbor

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #729 on: May 19, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »
I thought the same, diggers and piles of mud everywhere didn't add to the ambience! Good event, though.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #730 on: May 19, 2012, 07:55:48 pm »
I managed to sneak an hour or so off to have a quick look around.
   Without a doubt the thing that struck me was how many were wearing good, quality pirate fancy dress. I dont mean just putting a patch over one eye.  I mean the full works.
   I cannot recall ever going to any event, anywhere where so many people were dressed up, I must have seen at least 300 different ones and I was only there an hour.
   So, absolutely full marks to the organisers for getting them all out.    Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #731 on: May 19, 2012, 08:17:10 pm »
Yes, quite a few people had made a big effort with their costumes. Here's just one:

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #732 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:19 pm »
Regarding the Dredging, I can only comment, " Time and Tide wait for no Man "  ;D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #733 on: May 21, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »
Not for the first time, I was stuck in traffic congestion one day last week because a coach driver decided his coach would not go through the arch by the Castle leading down towards the old Billington's garage.

The hassle and messing about for all the vehicles that had followed him down and those backed up in Castle Square, to manoeuvre and allow the coach to reverse back up towards the Guild Hall, was a real sight!

I think I am correct in saying that signage says how high the arches are BUT NOT HOW WIDE. Perhaps the signage can be changed to help alleviate this 'chaos' happening from time to time especially during the summer months.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #734 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:41 pm »
If you take a look at the local buses and coaches, you will see that the mirrors are kept as close as possible to the side of the vehicle, so that they can go through the arches and other narrow places around N. Wales     The large motorised mirrors on some coaches are referred to as " P45 " mirrors, because that is what you are likely to get if you knock one off.
Dictum Meum Pactum