Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625780 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #645 on: December 16, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
I see the planning rejection department at CCBC is in full swing again..

At least there are no large scale jobs hinging on it this time..  see here.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16174247
Have you examined the plans? The new entrance for the Visitor Centre was completely inappropriate for a World Heritage site. If it had been built, people would have been complaining as to why the Council had ever passed the design...!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #646 on: December 16, 2011, 11:55:36 am »
I'm going to the Albion again on Monday for some more pictures.  I was going to call in today but they have a conservationist there for most of the day.  Remember the etched glass window in the bar next to the front door that was smashed in 2009, it was replaced by Punch Taverns with an ordinary clear pane (funnily enough the council didn't object at all) well now they're trying to say the new owners replaced it....and another pane that was etched was replaced with the same clear glass at the back of the building too. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline martin

« Reply #647 on: December 22, 2011, 11:34:19 am »
11.25 hrs Just go back from Conwy, the main car park has two or three cars in it, why does the Council not give the locals something at Christmas and have free parking ALL DAY and not just from 15.00 hrs? ???    WWW  Mind you, noticed the parking police were out dispensing their own unique brand of Christmas cheer  WWW

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #648 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:59 pm »
Work is progressing fast in the Albion, they were hoping to open mid January but it's looking more likely to be the end of the month now.  The broken window at the front of the building has been restored, interior walls and woodwork have been painted a very clean white, all the reupholstered seating is getting returned this week, rewiring is under way and the cellar is being totally refitted.  I can't get over how fantastic the beams look.   D)  One of the builders said at some point the etched window by the main door is being replaced after Punch Taverns used plain glass (tut tut)  I often wondered how they got away with that amongst other things!!

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #649 on: January 09, 2012, 04:41:16 pm »
Some more pics of the Albion  $walesflag$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #650 on: January 09, 2012, 07:48:22 pm »
looks very good, great to see these buildings preserved!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #651 on: January 12, 2012, 10:41:23 am »
Hey! Bring my caravan back!!

This burnt out caravan is finally being removed from the Bryn Gynog site on Hendre Road. It must be more than 12 months ago since it went up in flames.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #652 on: January 13, 2012, 10:39:48 am »
http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2012/01/12/planning-battle-looms-for-owner-of-one-of-conwy-s-well-known-eyesores-55243-30103449/

THE owner of one of Conwy’s most controversial eyesores claims he’s willing to renovate the site but is being obstructed by Conwy County Council.
Alan Edwards owns the former Fruit and Fibre shop on Lancaster Square in the walled town. For a number of years the Grade II listed premises have lain empty and have deteriorated.
In 2009 Mr Edwards began to make alterations to the property in readiness for what he claims were new tenants.
But Conwy Council took legal action to stop any “unauthorised” work being done on the property. Because the building is within the town walls of Conwy, it is within the conservation area, and it claimed Mr Edwards did not have the right permissions.
According to Conwy Council, Mr Edwards has, without listed building consent, removed the external render and pebble dash from the building.
Gutters and downpipes have also been removed without consent, and seven wooden sash windows.
The council is also unhappy about the installation of a new rooflight at the rear.
Since 2009 the council says it has sought to encourage Mr Edwards to remedy the breaches of listed building control, including discussing possible grant funding.
The authority says it has no intention to halt work indefinitely on the building, but stressed it wanted to see remedial works to restore the architectural features.
In the notice of appeal, Nick Jones, Conwy’s planning and environmental enforcement manager, says: “In view of the lack of cooperation from the owner, the authority has found no alternative but to serve a listed building enforcement notice to remedy continuing injury to the building and the effect of the works on this part of the conservation area.”
Mr Edwards has appealed to the Welsh Government on the grounds that the enforcement notice was not properly served on everyone with an interest in the land, and that the time given to comply was too short.
Mr Edwards told the Weekly News: “I wanted to do the work on the property two years ago and renovate it.
“I’d started the work but Conwy Council put a court order out to stop me. It was a shame as we had tenants lined up to take it over.
“Whatever we’ve suggested doing, the council has been very negative and obstructive.”
County councillor Joan Vaughan said: “This property is in a very prominent position in Conwy and is in a terrible state.
“It looks a disgrace, and I can’t understand why the owner has let it go in such a way.
“It’s a shame, as it could be lovely. I remember it being a number of businesses, such as a laundrette and a grocer’s.”
A Conwy Council spokeswoman said: “An appeal has been submitted and the matter is now in the hands of the Planning Inspectorate.”
The appeal will be dealt with by the Welsh Government sometime next month.

One wonders what Mr Edwards has been doing the previous 25 years it has been derelict?

Offline martin

« Reply #653 on: January 13, 2012, 11:29:41 am »
In a tourist town like Conwy, it is a disgrace this building has been allowed to stand in this state for so long.  Another disgrace is Billingtons garage, what visitors must think of these to eyesores I do not know.  Why has the council pussyfooted around for so long?  Billington's owners have run rings around them, last I was aware of was that their appeal due to be heard late last year had been postponed until early this year, I think to the end of this month.  What's the betting it will be put back once again.  These building can do nothing but harm to Conwy and it's tourist industry, Conwy Council, pull your fingers out and get these buildings sorted.  Billington's site needs clearing and grassing over and the old Fruit and Fibre, at the very least remove the scaffolding having first rendered the front elevation, with all work on both sites being charged to the respective owners.  I am sure that if the council were serious about their commitment to the town they would find a way to get these eyesores sorted out.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #654 on: January 13, 2012, 12:24:41 pm »
Very true, Martin, I completely agree. CCBC's stance towards these eyesores has been pretty lacklustre.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: January 19, 2012, 11:40:15 am »
TWO new shops will soon open in Conwy, while a pirate-themed weekend is also on its way.
Rumours were rife that the tough economic climate had caught up with Conwy, and the town was going to start filling up with empty units.

Chatterbox and The Dressing Room, both shops on the High Street, have closed. However, the good news is the owners of The Dressing Room are going to reopen the premises as the Harbour Gallery, a shop selling original Welsh art, and it’s understood Chatterbox, a former lingerie shop, will be reopening as a card and stationary shop.

Work is also underway to renovate the former Co-op store on Lancaster Square.

Julie Jordan, the owner of Harbour Gallery, which will open on Saturday, February 25, said: “With clothing there is too much competition, and my business partner Geoff Marsden and I have always been interested in art. “We will be selling a range of Welsh artists’ work, but not just paintings, also handmade jewellery, pottery and metalwork. “I also want to get young Welsh artists involved with the gallery. On a three month basis, we will be running art competitions, and whoever wins will be able to exhibit their work at the gallery.”

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2012/01/19/two-new-shops-to-open-in-conwy-55243-30150815/

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #656 on: January 20, 2012, 12:11:29 am »
excellent idea  $good$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #657 on: January 23, 2012, 06:31:27 pm »
I've heard a rumour that the blue bell is reopening soon, is there any truth to this story?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #658 on: January 23, 2012, 06:48:47 pm »
Yes I was told it will be open within the next couple of weeks  $good$ a past landlady is taking it on again.  I wish her luck I truly do but she must be mad dealing with Punch.

Offline martin

« Reply #659 on: January 23, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »
How that place has changed over the years.  We have very found memories of going in there on the night of our honeymoon, 6th April 1973.  I recall the then landlady was fairly advanced in years, and at closing time I had gone for a Jimmy, and the landlady had said to someone else in the bar, "this little girl is just waiting for her husband".  The little girl was in fact 24.  We still think about that night when passing the pub, it would be nice to see it open again.  Our honeymoon was in fact spent at my parents caravan in Gyffin, we now look across from our lounge window to where the caravan used to be, a lifetime ago.