Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625853 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #630 on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:33 am »
Coming back from my Mums last night I took a photo of the Albion.  The scaffolding was being put up in the morning.  I'm so happy that this beautiful building is now in the hands of those who really appreciate the importance of this magnificent heritage pub.  When I first took over in 2002 I asked Punch taverns if we could have new signs and they point blank refused, so me being me I made all my own.  They must have been ok as the woman who ran it for 12 months after me kept them too.  I suppose they  will be binned now though to make way for the professional ones that should have been there in the first place.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #631 on: November 21, 2011, 10:13:10 am »
Pendragon, is the second photo the sign that you made?  If so, you've obviously do have your family's artistic talent.  I think that's a great sign - very welcoming!    &well&

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #632 on: November 21, 2011, 10:38:07 am »
Yes I made the sign took me ages but I enjoyed making them.  Thanks Blodyn  $thanx$

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #633 on: November 24, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »
Well according to the Conwy bongo drums The Blue Bell is to shut down on the 3rd December.  It was never the same once Ken sadly passed away.  I really hope no one else is going to invest money with punch taverns. 

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #634 on: November 24, 2011, 06:04:30 pm »
I am made up.....just had an email saying I can go and take photos in the Albion.  I can do some before and after ones.  Unfortunately the Albion will not be open before Xmas though.

Offline Tillymint

« Reply #635 on: November 25, 2011, 02:38:43 pm »
Well according to the Conwy bongo drums The Blue Bell is to shut down on the 3rd December.  It was never the same once Ken sadly passed away.  I really hope no one else is going to invest money with punch taverns.

The Conwy bongo drums now say that the Landlady "did a runner" a couple of days ago.

The Blue Bell front door and one of the side windows are now boarded up so there may be some truth to the rumours.

Couldn't agree more about Punch Taverns. Too many people have lost a lot of money over the years. Don't think it will be long before Punch go belly up either. They are selling off most of their leased properties,

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #636 on: November 25, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »
I really hope no one else is going to invest money with punch taverns.
Invest is perhaps not the right word....

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #637 on: November 27, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »
Remember the Grey Lady?  Sad to see her today :o

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #638 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »
A few weeks ago I posted on the forum about The Conwy Mine my Dads friend had found on Conwy mountain.  Yesterday some friends of Nemesis went up there to investigate and below is the youtube video.  Rodger has emailed me these photos too.........which he says are mine so there's no copyright issues.  I found the video fascinating. I had described the Mine as half way up when in actual fact it's very near the top  :roll: so I think they were a bit knackered when they finally reached it  :laugh:  I truly hope they covered the entrance again with my Dads sticks or he'll have a fit   ;D

Roger said "Sadly it only went about 200-300 yards so it was very short. There was little evidence of what was mined there and not much in the way of mineral".

Ps I think the guys name is Roger

Conwy Mine

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #639 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:27 pm »
Hehe oops Rogers name is actually Ian  :laugh: thanks Nem  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #640 on: November 27, 2011, 09:21:58 pm »
Hehe oops Rogers name is actually Ian  :laugh: thanks Nem  $good$

No Probs ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #641 on: November 28, 2011, 10:39:17 am »
I called in at the Albion a few days ago and as promised took some photos of the interior, as you can see Wood Valentine have done a fantastic job of the french polishing.  The beams in the pool room have been striped back to the original oak and it looks beautiful.  All the seating has been sent away to be upholstered.  Electricians are rewiring and builders are due to start on the renovations to the mens toilets etc.   You can see on the photo of the paneling a piece has been taken out to reveal the original Victorian tiles.  It's great to see such attention being lavished on the Albion and I hope the new managers do really well.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #642 on: November 28, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
Good to see work progressing. Love that clock.  $good$

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #643 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:57 am »
Good to see work progressing. Love that clock.  $good$
Yes it's the original clock but unfortunately the mechanism has been changed and it now works with a battery.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #644 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:47 am »
I see the planning rejection department at CCBC is in full swing again..

At least there are no large scale jobs hinging on it this time..  see here.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16174247

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -