Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625468 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 07:25:33 pm »
I might well get hammered for this but hay ho,  I live within the town walls and have to say I haven't noticed large gangs of youths hanging round. I have noticed small groups hanging round the square but to be honest they're not causing trouble. My son is 13 and he goes out round town. They have absolutly nowhere to go. When I was in the Albion I used to let them in until 8pm to play pool (13+), one or two thought they were clever, but once they were told they behaved. The main reason they behaved was because they had no choice if they wanted to come in. Now don't get me wrong it's not the ideal as of course kids should't really be in pubs, I informed the police and knew most of their parents anyway.
This problem is everywhere, Junction, Llandudno, Conwy and Pen, is the answer to put them all on a curfew? How much money does anti-social behavior of any sort cost the council each year? Could that cost be bought down by providing amenities for these kids? There will always be a small group who are hell bent on causing trouble, these individuals shoul be dealt with accordingly, a lot of the time parenting is to blame but bordom I'm sure plays a bigger part.
People winge (I don't mean you) theres not enough police on the beat in Town, y'know the only time we see police in conwy is in cars going to the station for a brew. Trouble was overted when the Dispersal Order was in place, but we also had two police officers on the beat almost every day, once the Dispersal order was lifted so were the police.
You have to admit it's nowhere near as bad as it was.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 07:55:09 pm »
"You have to admit it's nowhere near as bad as it was".

You can say that again!  L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »

I thought that book was about the Town Council?!  _))*

Offline Trojan

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 08:32:59 pm »

I thought that book was about the Town Council?!  _))*

L0L

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 10:34:39 am »
Pendragon is right, it's not as bad as it once was ....yet. My concern is that it is building up again. The kids gather and realise that no one is doing anything about it and are then bored and emboldened to create mischief. I just think it'd be great to have the police or community support officer break things up before they get out of hand like they did before.

Again, nothing has changed. The last few years of kids didn't cause that much trouble nor did they hang out in large groups in town (I'm surprised you haven't seen them in Lancaster Square most evenings) but for whatever reason they are now. Yes, it would be great for them to hang out in a youth centrre or what have you but parents can put these kids into other activities in the evening, they don't need to wander around town.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2010, 04:39:51 pm »
Mr Falafel, what did you do to pass the time when you were 13/18 ? I would like to take this opportunity to explain what I did. After school on Mondays and wednesdays, I'd arrive home, smile loving at my parents and tell them all about my day, I'd go upsatairs and tidy my room like I'd promised. Then off I'd trot to my gymnastics class, Tuesdays and Thursdays were swimming lessons then 7pm off I'd go to the local Youth club where there was loads to do.  Fridays and Saturdays I spent most of my time helping old ladies with shopping and of course Sundays were spent in church followed by all my homework ...............As if  ;)
When I was 13+ to be honest most of the time was spent outside the butchers, chippy or library freezing my ass off and bored to tears. Fridays was special though, in groups we'd club together and buy a bottle of Merrydown cider, a couple of bottles of cherry B and of course 10 jps fags and down Pen beach we would go. Saturdays if we had any money we'd go to town for the day and hang round the pier, looking hard and smoking (tut tut) on arriving back in Pen it was back to walking round the village.
I think its unfair to asume these kids are causing trouble just because theres more than 3 of them together. I mean can you honestly say you have been acosted, intimidated or abused in any way by any one of them recently or have you just noticed them (apart from the 1 on the skateboard,) some of them do look scruffy beggers with those dreadful baggy jeans on silly hats but so did we with skin tight jeans, odd coloured leg warmers and "Frankie Says" emblazoned across our t'shirts, that's teenagers!
Things haven't changed for young people and teenagers, the way we percieve them has but thats because we're older.
Teenagers now can't win, they're told their spending far too much time on their games consoles,watching tv or on the internet, then they're told they need to be out and  excercise as 1 out of 4 of them are obese. The rest of the time they're told to stay in and keep out of trouble.  :rage:
Ok rant over, soap box dissmounted  ;D

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2010, 04:53:24 pm »
Again, I agree with everything you say.  What is iinteresting is that I have my teenage nephew and neice over to Conwy very often (every weekend) and they have never once said they were bored in Conwy. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I'm 6 foot tall and rather imposing so I do not have any problems with pushing through groups of youth on the way to the Spar. But what about the elderly? What about tourists? If you vistied a town and saw 12 bored teenagers hanging around would you feel safe and secure or not?

Not to repeat what I said before but we do all remember there was a 'bad time' in the not too distant past where kids became unruly in town and all I am saying is that it appears to me that we are heading in that direction again and wouldn't it be nice if the community officer started to mix in amongst the congregating teens just to let them know they are watching them. I'm sure that is all that is necessary for now. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sadly, with the government budget cuts announced in the last few days it doesn't look like any youth centre or anything else will be provided in the near or distant future. We may even lose the police resources who could help prevent possible problems.

Oh, and btw I grew up in an extremely rural town with absolutely nothing to do. No beach, no bowling, no places to go at all.    ΒΆΒΆ##  But there was very litle trouble as we knew our parents would punish us severely for any brush with the authorities...

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2010, 05:12:48 pm »
Well with things the way they are, financial cut backs and the like.  I think I'll resort to plan B, when my son comes home from school from now on I'm going to confiscate his xbox and lock him in his room with a treadmill, or maybe boarding school is an option (God if only boarding school was available on the national health.................ahhhhh) sorry (click fingers) back in the room. 
On a serious note lets hope things don't escalate as they did before and I for one will try and ensure that when my lad is out he behaves.
Btw my dad was old school too, none of this childrens charter nonsence "when I were a kid. Naughty = slap in our ouse"  ;)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2010, 05:44:46 pm »
The issue of teenagers hanging abut apparently bored dates back about five hundred years, so it's hardly surprising it's still happening.  However, a lot has to do with the way n which they're regarded by adults, and the lack of focus so many youngsters suffer from in their early teenage years, but mostly the relinquishing of parental responsibility by those who should know better.

I believe parents have a responsibility to lead their kids; that has nothing to do with simply telling them what they shouldn't be doing, but is instead an active role which entails becoming involved with their childrens' lives and doing things with them, instead of simply closing the door as they go out and hoping they won't get up to mischief. Sadly, too many parents like to enjoy themselves and assume that Schools, Youth clubs, Police - in short, anyone but them - will do things with their kids and keep them out of trouble.  Bringing up kids is a full-time activity, and one which demands that you put your own needs in second place.  Parents who don't realise that are usually the ones responsible for the problems on street corners.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:51:12 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »
I agree totally. People including myself have had children at a young age. So many of us were determined not to be like our parents which has proved a big mistake. Like Mr Farafel said many of us and people of our eras knew the consequence of acting up, nowadays parents say "oh they're just kids" many of them are just that, however a small minority have recieved no guidence whatsoever. Maybe parenting classes could be the first move (does that sound soft) I would go and so would many other parents.  Y'see if we now bought our kids up like our parents did, we'd be on the social services list as bad parents. If I was out of order (and my Dad found out) he'd think nothing of giving me a hiding. Not because he was mean but that's the parenting he had been used to.  We are now living in an age where parents can be taken to court for slapping children and teachers can get done for assult just for removing a splinters. Yet no alternative guidance has been given.   $smack$

Ps wicked smiley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »
Had an excellent afternoon at the Conwy Feast, the weather was a bit unsettled but the rain held off and the whole town was absolutely heaving. Lots to see and do (and eat), with some great musical performances on the various stages - special mention must be given to the Batala Bangor Samba Band, the band 'Tacsi' from Anglesey and 'Hero Melia' from Capel Curig who is already a harp playing pro at the age of eleven.

http://www.batalabangor.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tacsi/106289356093693

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/GmViaxFBqyF/Hero+Melia+Sings+Welsh+Mountains

[smg id=816]

[smg id=817]

[smg id=818]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:12:28 pm by DaveR »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2010, 05:11:41 pm »
I'm working all day today till 12am, so i'll be up early tomorrow and out, can't wait, I love nothing more than munching my way round Conwy on the feast. Luckily the buses were not a problem this morning, your right DaveR it was heaving. That's what we want. ZXZ

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »
Yes, the Feast was great today! I'm still stuffed from eating so many wonderful things!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2010, 05:08:22 am »
Yes, the Feast was great today! I'm still stuffed from eating so many wonderful things!

Did you find any Falafel's to eat?  L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2010, 06:27:41 am »
This is my favorite bus shelter in Conwy:

Where the cars are parked behind, reminds me of the entrance to Conwy Market. Great place for jeans in the '70's.

Anyone with a photo of the market?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:35:05 am by Trojan »